Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oatfield closing boiled sweets line

Options
  • 23-08-2010 8:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

Sad to see this happen, but not surprised.

As someone involved with a store that sells a large quantity of traditional boiled sweets it was simply not possible to get supply from this company.

They farmed out their distribution to a large food supply company that charge a HUGE premium if you were only interested in a single line of products. - They wouldn't return calls or have a rep call because I wasn't interested in taking other lines that simply did not suit my stores. It made the Irish made Oatfield range 50% more expensive than directly purchased lines from the UK.

There are now 100+ shops in Ireland selling traditional sweets, nearly all the product is sourced from the UK because UK manufacturers are prepared to sell direct to stores.

The Oatfield management's sales strategy was completely flawed - they should have had a simple direct purchase website for UK & Irish trade buyers. - One small UK company has sales in excess of £3m from their direct sales website & no sales reps.

Sad to see the jobs go, but maybe the main shareholders wanted it that way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

That 'sucks' !

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

As long as they keep making emeralds I'll be a happy bunny ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

buy up the chocolat orange sweeties now!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Oh noes! I love the orange sweet thingys!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

But what about the lime chocolates? The Tesco brand ones are yuk!:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

il gatto wrote: »
    But what about the lime chocolates? The Tesco brand ones are yuk!:(

YA..:(

Havent seen orange or lime chocolates here..in YEARS..apart from pretend ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

I bough some tubes of Orange chocolates in August, prob in Ardara. Then I couldn't find them again.

Strangely enough, I went to school in NI with the McKinney daughter.

Advertisement