Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cycle lanes??

• 23-08-2010 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

hi forum,

1st time poster in here so be nice :-0

if anyone was lucky enough to see someone stack they're bike in fairview at about 7:30 this morning... that was me..

I know it was a bit wet this morning so am just wondering are the cycle lanes more dangerous in the wet...

btw it is the part of the lane that goes around the fly-over(?) in fairview.:

bike is cool thankfully i'm just trying to work out if i was going to quick around it

confused:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

everythings more dangerous in the wet;)

Too much of a turn? What about your tyres What sort of make?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

Crow92 wrote: »

Too much of a turn? What about your tyres What sort of make?

haha

continental speed king... i think. standard ones on the boardman bikes..

speed_king.jpg

looking at these they dont look to grippy for wet..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

blaze1 wrote: »
    hi forum,

if anyone was lucky enough to see someone stack they're bike in fairview at about 7:30 this morning... that was me..

I know it was a bit wet this morning so am just wondering are the cycle lanes more dangerous in the wet...

bike is cool thankfully i'm just trying to work out if i was going to quick around it

I go that way every day and wouldnt use that so called cycle lane, for 2 reasons

1) Its always covered in glass and now for the next few months slippy leaves

2) its just a glorified footpath and I dont believe a bike doing 30+ km/ph and pedestrians dont mix

So I just go in the bus lane which is grand apart from the odd taxi driver and a bit of subsidence in 2 places

I was 6mins behind ya....would have loved to see a good stack !!! (hopefully ur ok though !!)

cool, i'll bear that advice in mind... i was going thru the park last week, but i missed the turn for it this morning...

it was a might crash bike is ok, just a couple of scrapes and a bruised ego :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

hi forum,

I commute from the direction of Clontarf to city centre and I never take the Fairview strand past the park. Alfie Byrne rd towards East Wall is much better, for all the reasons outlined above, if a little tiny bit longer.

You can turn right on East Wall rd and the left on West Rd. to get you out onto Norths Strand again sans traffic or leaves or glass.

just an update on this, nearly impossible bike home last nite.

Brought the bike back to halfords, the bloke there thinks i managed to bend the rear forks?

anyone know offhand if this is fixable?

ps bike isnt even 2 weeks old... completely sick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,497 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Crow92 wrote: »
    Not necessarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

just an update on this, nearly impossible bike home last nite.

Brought the bike back to halfords, the bloke there thinks i managed to bend the rear forks?

anyone know offhand if this is fixable?

ps bike isnt even 2 weeks old... completely sick

What bike do you have?
    That should not normally happen.

i have a boardman sport...
    couldnt see it myself, the wheels didnt look buckled but they werent spinning great the only place i could see/hear rubbing was on the disc breaks on the back wheel.

I'm a bit of a newbie when i was having a look so i thought best for the shop to have a look

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Don't think i've ever heard of anyone bending the *rear* forks.. There isn't really such a thing as "rear forks" - there is a rear triangle which comprises the seatstays, chainstay and seatpost - did this halfords bloke use the term "rear forks?" Halfords bike mechanics, generally, must be treated (sadly) with the same general reverence of knowledge reserved for an ape trying to thread a needle. It has been said that the only bike related qualification needed when applying for a bike mechanic job at Halfords is the completed application form. It sounds like he's just having his best guess - they often don't know **** and are just put into the bikes department in the same way currys would put someone in the TV dept. Doesnt mean they know about TV's.

Much more likely to have buckled the wheel, no? Can't see how you'd have bent the frame unless the bike went spinning away into the air and hit "fork"-first into something..

Replace the wheel and disk first before you go writing a frame off.

Also generally, riding in the wet is fine but two things spring to mind reading your post, 1) Those tyres, unless you are using the bike off road a lot, are completely unsuited to the purpose you're using them for and you would be much better off with slicker tyres - 2) You may already know this one but light rain, or when its just started raining, is much much worse to ride on than when its been pelting down for a bit. The reason being that all the grease and dirt and dust sit on the surface with a little water and become very slippy indeed. If you can, when it starts raining, pull off for a minute or so and let the rain wash away all the crap. You'll be much less likely to have the front end dive away from out under you (what I'm assuming happened).

Here's a link that details what I was saying about your tyres:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html
    Scroll down to "Tread Patterns".

Best of luck.

SL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You're near Skeff, just go to him, let him check it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055611674

I'd be surprised a MTB would bend that easily. I wouldn't have that much faith in halfords either.

just got the phonecall i was dreading,

apperentley there 7mm out which is causing the friction in the back wheel.

Have had problems with halfords before but up until now they've been ok.

There is nothing more that can be done apparently. But they've offered me the frame for €311 said they could have it done in a couple of days.

Now i'm not an expert by any means on bike or the general mechanics of them, but i would expect that a bike could take more than a crash to throw everything off line. The bike for the most part impacted on me.

Sick as a pig here, the bike is only a week old.

Did you crash the bike?

Edit: nevermind, you already said so in your first post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hi OP, could you have made contact with the painted line, or a man hole cover, both lethel in the wet.

;)

yup, could have done...
    sorry i've no sense of humour this afternoon.
    does anyone know how this would effect my warrenty etc?

If you crash it, all bets are off really. But you never know, you might be lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

yup, could have done...
    sorry i've no sense of humour this afternoon.
    does anyone know how this would effect my warrenty etc?

Did you fall sideways on top of the bike? I would only expect that to happen if another car or cyclist went over the bike after you fell.

It would be good to get a second opinion. I've read really good things about Skeff.

The Boardman sports has an aluminium frame doesn't it?

sorry to hear about the spill.

Do I understand correctly that Halford's are looking for 311 Euros to fix the frame, or is that to provide a new bike?

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Did you fall sideways on top of the bike? I would only expect that to happen if another car or cyclist went over the bike after you fell.

It would be good to get a second opinion. I've read really good things about Skeff.

The Boardman sports has an aluminium frame doesn't it?

yeah landed sideways right leg on the ground..

double butted aluminium frame to be exact.

i've pm'd skeef and halfords arent picking up now.

the €311 is for the price of a new frame.

• Advertisement

yeah landed sideways right leg on the ground..

double butted aluminium frame to be exact.

i've pm'd skeef and halfords arent picking up now.

the €311 is for the price of a new frame.

If you felt up to the battle you could seek a refund from Halford's based on the fact thet the bike should withstand more than a splill before the it gets bent out of shape, but you could have a argument on your hands. With 300 Euros I would seek a second hand bike from a good dealer like http://www.rothar.ie/ or http://dublinbikeman.blogs.ie/.

As suggested you could get another quote from a good dealer on knocking it back into place. I would not spend any money with a shop who sold you something you are not happy with in the first place.

Hope the leg is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

OP I have had all sorts of horrendous crashes on my aluminium frame MTB and have never damaged the frame. It could be as simple as your rear wheel axle shifting a little. As referred to earlier, I would get a second opinion from a recognised bike shop like Cycleways, etc.

If one of the tubes that comprise the back triangle of the bike has been bent in the crash, it can usually be persuaded back into shape. You have nothing to lose. Best of luck. Bummer with such a new bike.

cool, i've pm'd skeef so hopefully its sortable!

cheers all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

The cycle track in Fairview is not actually a legal cycle track. It does not have the statutory signs. That's so you can't sue the city council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 MysticFred

cool, i've pm'd skeef so hopefully its sortable!

cheers all!

Best of luck Blaze1. Let us know how you get on.

just been on to halfords again... a different mechanic has had a look and fixed it with no drilling or hammering..

going to collect tommorow morning!

fingers crossed its all ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Good stuff. That sounds more like it.

Advertisement