Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts- possible to change?

Options
  • 23-08-2010 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭

So I got Arts today :D
    But when I was putting it down on the CAO form months ago, i put down 2 specific subjects - geography and archaeology
    Is it possible to switch at all, to say Geography and English for example, or do i have to stick with the 2 i put down? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

muffinz wrote: »
    So I got Arts today :D
    But when I was putting it down on the CAO form months ago, i put down 2 specific subjects - geography and archaeology
    Is it possible to switch at all, to say Geography and English for example, or do i have to stick with the 2 i put down? Thanks in advance!

Yeh, but I wouldn't switch. You can do three subjects in 1st year (that's what myself and a few others did) you don't do electives or minors but it gives you a chance of doing a degree in 2 full subjects as opposed to this major-minor racket.
    So, stick with the Geography and Archaeology and do English as your third subject.
    Or you could (depending on whether you want to get more experience of different disciplines do Geog and Arch as two majors and do two minors; one in English and one in something else (so long as their core options if you wanted to go and do either one in 3rd year) or in some variation of those combinations.
    I know a chap that did two majors; History and English and did two minors; Geography and Economics in first year. He ended up hating English and liking Geography, so in second year he took the two first year Geography modules he missed out on as electives and then took the required credits for a double major in History and Geography.

Personally, I wouldn't like to do English. There's far too much reading for my liking, and next to doing English and History, English and Geography is an even worse combination, far too many people pick this combination. I will get slated for stating that, but it's a fact.
    Geography is piss easy and Archaeology has field trips which can be good craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

El Siglo wrote: »
    Yeh, but I wouldn't switch. You can do three subjects in 1st year (that's what myself and a few others did) you don't do electives or minors but it gives you a chance of doing a degree in 2 full subjects as opposed to this major-minor racket.
    So, stick with the Geography and Archaeology and do English as your third subject.
    Or you could (depending on whether you want to get more experience of different disciplines do Geog and Arch as two majors and do two minors; one in English and one in something else (so long as their core options if you wanted to go and do either one in 3rd year) or in some variation of those combinations.
    I know a chap that did two majors; History and English and did two minors; Geography and Economics in first year. He ended up hating English and liking Geography, so in second year he took the two first year Geography modules he missed out on as electives and then took the required credits for a double major in History and Geography.

Personally, I wouldn't like to do English. There's far too much reading for my liking, and next to doing English and History, English and Geography is an even worse combination, far too many people pick this combination. I will get slated for stating that, but it's a fact.
    Geography is piss easy and Archaeology has field trips which can be good craic.

English is awesome. He is jealous as he cannot read :D:D

English is awesome. He is jealous as he cannot read :D:D

I can read good damn it!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭leinsterrugby

gift what is geography like in arts? is it boring what kind of stuff do you like cover? im also goin 2 do economics.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I just finished first year English and found the workload reasonable enough. I know two people who did english and history and <insert 3rd subject here> who did grand as well, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Stick with what you'll enjoy and you won't find the work a chore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I know two people who did english and history and <insert 3rd subject here> who did grand as well,
    That was my friend's combo - English, History, Politics in 1st year, kept on English and history. She loved it, but complained a bit about the sheer volume of reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Thanks a mill for that :D

When I was doing the CAO, it asked me to pick 2 subjects, i picked geog and archaeology - so when i actually go to UCD to register etc. will i have to pick a 3rd subject?

Im not actually doing to do english at all, I cannot stand reading Shakespeare or anything like that :P

Thinking of Spanish - got a B2 in it in the leaving, and would look good on the oul' CV!

And could someone explain the whole Module thing to do in layman's terms? The UCD site is giving me a headache :p

muffinz wrote: »
    Thanks a mill for that :D

When I was doing the CAO, it asked me to pick 2 subjects, i picked geog and archaeology - so when i actually go to UCD to register etc. will i have to pick a 3rd subject?

Im not actually doing to do english at all, I cannot stand reading Shakespeare or anything like that :P

Thinking of Spanish - got a B2 in it in the leaving, and would look good on the oul' CV!

And could someone explain the whole Module thing to do in layman's terms? The UCD site is giving me a headache :p

A subject (Geography, History, Sociology etc...) is made up of four modules in first year. A module is like the way you had different subjects in school, so for example; Intro to Human Geography I is a module, you'll have lectures in this, tutorials and exams/essays etc... so modules are sub-divisions of subjects. This is my understanding of it, hope that makes sense.

Advertisement