Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY

Options
  • 23-08-2010 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I rent out a room in my house and the tenant has a TV in his room and doesn't have SKY not sure what he uses to be honest he did speak about getting some box thing that he could get the channels from but I never asked. He has been living in my house for the past 4 months and doesn't use the TV in the sitting room at all. Therefore I don't make him pay towards the SKY bill or TV licence (which I guess is up to me to get anyway).

I am going away soon on holidays and the place I am going if I bring my own SKY card we can access English TV, I will be away for 10 days. Would it be wrong of me to take my SKY card, as he doesn't watch TV in the sitting room or contribute towards the SKY bill? All advice appreciated, obviously if its the wrong thing to do I will be leaving it there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

If he has a tv in his room then he should be paying towards the cost of the tv licence.

Do you really need television on your 10 day holiday? Why not just leave it there?

If you really want to bring it then it's your property, you can do what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

Cathooo wrote: »
    If he has a tv in his room then he should be paying towards the cost of the tv licence.

Do you really need television on your 10 day holiday? Why not just leave it there?

If you really want to bring it then it's your property, you can do what you like.

I don't really need it but 4 of us are going away together to my parents villa and we are not going to be going out every night and sometimes its nice to just relax and watch a movie or the news or something.

I know he should probably be paying towards the tv licence but the problem then comes if he leaves before the year is up and wants a refund of his money on the tv licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

As an owner occupier myself, if I were in this situation, I would probably talk to my lodger, to see if this would be ok with them, and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

depends on weather taking the card would impact on the lodger or not. Talk to him and see what he/she says.

if it will impact him I would say its petty to take the card and with it being a renters market woudl question how wise a decision it would be.

as for the poster that says he should pay a contribution for the tv licence I disagree. If this wasnt mentioned when he moved in you cant change the rules now and I doubt most lodgers pay a share of the tv licence for rent a room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Make sure you tell him why you are taking the card, otherwise he may think you just are being petty or something and don't want him using your tv.

Also, what is he using, a picture sender? Perhaps he is just using rabbit ears/aerial for the terrestial stations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

wyndham wrote: »
    Make sure you tell him why you are taking the card, otherwise he may think you just are being petty or something and don't want him using your tv.

Also, what is he using, a picture sender? Perhaps he is just using rabbit ears/aerial for the terrestial stations?

Of course I would tell him, to be honest I don't know what he uses but I have never made him feel he can't use the TV in the sitting room, he just always goes up and watches it in his bedroom. Ok I might be in the sitting room when I get in from work but not all evening, I do go out for walks etc and wouldn't care if he was in the sitting room. But I guess its his choice to go to his room.

Advertisement