Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Back Pain - Moving from road to hybrid

• 23-08-2010 10:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Has anoyone moved from a road racer to a hybid (Giant Rapid?) over the last few years? I am having a ongoing back problem made worse by road racing positioning and was considering a more upright riding position as I still love to cycle. Getting my ass kicked by upright riders all during yesterday's eTape really brought home the message that my back is not able for long periods in the saddle.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Before making the change, I think you should find out the source of the problem.

It may be (for instance) that your saddle is too high, and moving to a hybrid would make no difference.

You could flip the stem (or get a different stem) and see if the back pain goes. The handling won't be ideal, but at least you won't have wasted a load of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭stevemcf

Hey Lumen,
    Have fipped the stem (pointing up) and made little difference (also on top spacer). Saddle is higher than the bars but I guess you raise a good point; it might not be the bike. Have also spend many hours with plumb lines and all that crap on YouTube but still pain continues. Worried that if I drop the saddle fat too low then power output will be zilch, but maybe I'm wrong on that. Worth experimenting with low then gradually move to high maybe?
    Steve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Steve,

I'm not suggesting any specific changes to saddle height, I'm just saying that since you can usually achieve an almost hybrid-like position on a road bike with a combination of saddle position and stem selection you should do that first before switching bike.

It's not all about bike fit. A proper regime of core strength and flexibility can work wonders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

i have a dodgy back and dont find the Giant Rapid any more comfortable than the road bike. Oddly enough, I actually prefer the road bike set up as i think i'm putting a bit more of the weight on my wrists instead of holding myself up with my back a bit on the giant. I've had the Giant for a proper bike fit and even after that I still have occasional aches and pains on the Giant - the road bike was never set up with a bike fit and i've never had any issues with it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Too many people cut the fork to that bare height to have the bike look cool and then overstretch to ride.

I never cut my fork. I always pack on the spacers, above the stem and below until I am happy. I have come to just stack the spacers on the bottom of the stem. I love to climb and having all of the spacers helps me get straight when out of the saddle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Before looking at making changes to your bike set up you would be advised to get assessed for any biomechanical problems associated with poor flexibility or underlying joint restrictions that can be examined and treated. Have had some lower back pain myself and have found improving my core stability and hip flexor flexibility has made big changes.
    I'm a registered osteopath with a clinic in portmarnock. If you want any private advise I'd be happy to help. You can send me a private message if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭stevemcf

OK, something there to think about alright, Wersal thanks for the heads up. It's a complicated thing I guess with all the various variables that are involved in stepping on the pedals. I think I'll try a combination of ideas; started in gym last month and have noticed that basic core workouts make big difference on the bike (particularly on this hills and the heatrate going up 'em) and I will take the saddle down to match handlebar height just to see if there are any differences in general comfort/pain.

Cheers,
    Steve

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'm going to lock this thread as we're going into the murky water of getting medical on the net.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement