Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Following Forums and Threads (Warning screen shots within - big images)

Options
  • 23-08-2010 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭

Only 4% of members subscribe to forums. We consider it to be an easier way to navigate the site and keep tabs on whatever forums you might have an interest in. With that in mind, we've decided to make it easier to do this.

Today, we're introducing a Follow Forum and Follow Thread button onto forum and thread pages respectively. You can see the screen shot below for how they'll look and where they'll appear on the page. To go along with this, we've made a change to the front page of the site; we've removed the Drop Down list for "Latest Forum Posts in" just above the thread listing with 3 tabs (Latest Posts | My Forums | My Threads) and an expanding list beside it. Again, see the screen shot below for how this will look.

Front Page
    FrontPageLoggedIn.jpg

Follow Forum
    FollowForums.jpg

Follow Threads
    FollowThreads.jpg

My Forums
    MyForums.jpg

My Threads
    MyThreads.jpg

We're also replacing the word "subscribe" with "follow" as there tended to be confusion about wanting to keep track of a forum or subscribing to the site. You'll see we've changed any references to this across the site (but if you spot one still saying Subscribe, please let us know).

These buttons will also appear to people who aren't signed in and clicking on them will present you with a Login option as well as a Sign Up option if you're not a member. Hopefully it might convince a few lurkers to bite the bullet and join us.

My Forums (not logged in)
    ForumsNotLogged.jpg

My Threads (not logged in)
    ThreadsNotLogged.jpg

Let us know how you get on with it and if you have any comments or find any problems, please post them below.

Dav
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I think this is a seriously handy update. Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

When you clicked on 'Subbed' at the top previously it took you to what is now the 'My Forums' screen.

However now when you hit 'My Forums' at the top it takes you to 'My Threads'.

Any chance it could do the same as it used to in that regard?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It's not too bad.. though I do think the 3 tabbed panels on the front page are a bit jarring!

Also small cosmetic changes to make it a bit more symmetrical - e.g the search should be aligned with something, and not just floating. See below:

Currently:
    MyForums.jpg

Better?
    myforums.jpg

Also should the white space to the right of the panels be better utilized? Link to Control Panels / PM's etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Excellent stuff! After I got beyond the notion that the "Follow Thread" button was some kind of Facebook thing. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I like this. Good job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

All those geeks in Boards HQ and your still using IE :facepalm:

Looks great though, i actually really like it

I do like the 'Follow Thread' / 'Unfollow Thread' buttons at the bottom of a thread..

.. cracking little idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Xavi6 wrote: »
    When you clicked on 'Subbed' at the top previously it took you to what is now the 'My Forums' screen.

However now when you hit 'My Forums' at the top it takes you to 'My Threads'.

Any chance it could do the same as it used to in that regard?
    My bad, must have fudged that when I was doing it for the beta menu. Fixed now.

Did posts from the User Infractions forum always appear on the front page? :confused:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

basquille wrote: »
    Did posts from the User Infractions forum always appear on the front page? :confused:

Just noticed that too.
    Hope it's just the mods group that can see it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Great idea lads, I see this getting a lot of use:

heheheheh_1.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Latest Posts now shows stuff from every forum you have access to; restoring how it used to work before I had to break it to stop the site from grinding to a halt in 2008 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Tallon wrote: »
    All those geeks in Boards HQ and your still using IE :facepalm:

Looks great though, i actually really like it

I mostly use Firefox (which has gotten steadily worse and worse over the last few months :() and Chrome; the IE is for that test account I have so I can copy & paste stuff easily :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

there is no drop down now when you hover over the "My Forums" on the top of the page. You have to click on it :(

EDIT: seem to work now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

It shows My Forums on the top - used to be Subbed.

It isn't shown the list of forums that I was subbed to before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Unfollow is not a word.

Seems like a twitterization of boards. I don't like.

Can I disable the buttons? They look out of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Great little change, it's very handy :)

However there are a few little cosmetic issues like basquille pointed out. What makes the tabs so jarring is the fact they have the biggest text size on the frontpage. They're bigger than the search button over on the right, bigger than the menu along the bottom of the infobar (with links to adverts.ie, social groups etc). It'd be better if it could be brought in line with something, with a corresponding reduction in padding.

The search module should be brought in line too.

Oh and maybe instead of using this gradient for the follow buttons you might consider using either this gradient or jus the background colour #738FBF which would make it the same as the surrounding elements (i.e. the thread tools/menu control items). Also, seeing as everything on the RHS of the page is squared, and not rounded, the slight rounding on the buttons could be removed.

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Unfollow is not a word.

Seems like a twitterization of boards. I don't like.

Can you come up with a suitable antonym? I can't - renounce forum just doesn't seem appropriate :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I can't see the Follow Thread or Follow Forum buttons in IE6 or FireFox. Not a big deal as I can use the equivalent menu options but thought I would let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

The Thunderdome and some private forums are showing up on the front page 'latest post' thing.

Might be a good idea to restrict them, to stop new people clicking into the 'Dome and all the crap that is spouted in there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

Can you come up with a suitable antonym? I can't - renounce forum just doesn't seem appropriate :p

Subscribe and Unsubscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,264 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

from a privacy point of view, can certain users, mods or admins see who is following a particular thread, or the number of people following a thread?

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    Subscribe and Unsubscribe.

Fairly sure the reason behind the change to follow from subscribe was outlined in the first post.
    The Thunderdome and some private forums are showing up on the front page 'latest post' thing.

Might be a good idea to restrict them, to stop new people clicking into the 'Dome and all the crap that is spouted in there.

If you have access to the dome then it will appear on your latest posts. Now if it's happening when you're logged out that's a different story :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Fairly sure the reason behind the change to follow from subscribe was outlined in the first post.

If you have access to the dome then it will appear on your latest posts. Now if it's happening when you're logged out that's a different story :)

Aye, i wonder is it because i'm subscribed to it, that might be the reason it's showing up. It didnt previously however...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,034 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Any way to save your preference, I'm not a fan of this pop-up at all!

5qovd.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Aye, i wonder is it because i'm subscribed to it, that might be the reason it's showing up. It didnt previously however...

Wonder no more!
    Ross wrote: »
    Latest Posts now shows stuff from every forum you have access to; restoring how it used to work before I had to break it to stop the site from grinding to a halt in 2008 :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

Great idea, well done to whoever thought of it!

:) I know, but if you read the post by Ross on page one you'd have read the following:
    Ross wrote: »

*Edit: Beaten to it, please kill me :P*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Dav wrote: »
    I mostly use Firefox (which has gotten steadily worse and worse over the last few months :() and Chrome; the IE is for that test account I have so I can copy & paste stuff easily :)

This is what I thought of when I read that comment...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Aghhhh!! Guys, when I clicked on subbed I used to have the oppertunity of clicking a link to the latest post made no?

Advertisement