Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Following Forums and Threads (Warning screen shots within - big images)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,264 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Aghhhh!! Guys, when I clicked on subbed I used to have the oppertunity of clicking a link to the latest post made no?

click the number of posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

click the number of posts
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Tallon wrote: »
    This is what I thought of when I read that comment...

Ah come on, give me some credit! I've been a software engineer, web developer (front and back end) and a sys admin twice before I came to this job :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Dav wrote: »
    Ah come on, give me some credit! I've been sending emails, recieving emails, deleting emails... using a mouse, a keyboard..

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Wonder if a Facebook 'Like' button for each thread is next on it's way

New update is looking well though!
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Can you come up with a suitable antonym? I can't - renounce forum just doesn't seem appropriate :p

Why not just 'Stop following'? Don't see why it has to be a single word. Not that I care really, just saying.

edit: I guess with the word 'thread' in the button as well it would be a bit cramped. Nevermind. ...Although does the word 'thread' need to be in there? It's redundant, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I'm not seeing a "follow forum" button anywhere...?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It only appears in the default skin. If you're not using the default skin, you won't see the new buttons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

seamus wrote: »
    It only appears in the default skin. If you're not using the default skin, you won't see the new buttons.

I'm on the beta skin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It's very good. Fair play to the dev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

I'm using Beta and it shows up fine

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

This release is for default and Beta Skin users. Default because thats what the vast vast vast majority of people use and Beta because thats what we are working on for the future.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Ah thank you very much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

The Buttons look a bit.....clunky. No doubt the devs will make a better job of them over time and they will blend in better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you say you want to follow a thread and ask for instant email when someone posts, do you continue to get emails every time someone posts, or do you just get the one until you check the thread? I'm thinking of a thread that catches on and you could have 20 emails an hour later?

Very good upgrade. Very handy.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Where are the Private listed forums? They are not under my forums....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

mike65 wrote: »
    Where are the Private listed forums? They are not under my forums....
    The private forums filter was causing issues (often just contained forums you had been banned/unbanned from or places like Soccer, difficult to explain to new users, etc).

You'll probably find most of your private forums under the "Hosted" filter, but ideally you'd follow your private forums so that they all appear under the "My Forums" tab.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    If you say you want to follow a thread and ask for instant email when someone posts, do you continue to get emails every time someone posts, or do you just get the one until you check the thread? I'm thinking of a thread that catches on and you could have 20 emails an hour later?
    You get one every time someone posts. For fast moving threads (like chat threads) it would not be ideal to subscribe to instant email notifications.
    Edit: On reflection, this is actually incorrect. You get a notification on new reply, but don't get more (for that thread) until you visit the site again.

Of course, if it turns out to be a surprise fast moving thread, most modern email clients "thread" the mails so they don't clutter your inbox, or you can unsubscribe from email notifications using either the link at the end of each notification mail, or through your Control Panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Do you think there will ever be an "Instant" notification of new threads option, when 'following' a forum?

Like the changes so far, makes subscribing and unsubscribing to threads far easier.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Do you think there will ever be an "Instant" notification of new threads option, when 'following' a forum?

I hope so, I think it would be very useful.

New threads don't appear quite as often as people might think either, there's a lot of posting in forums like After Hours, but only about 30 new threads a day. For what is probably the fastest moving forum on the site, that's not a huge number of mails to get in one day ( though it would be more than I would personally want to receive :) )

That said, need to be careful to try and ensure people don't accidentally opt in to receiving that many mails when they follow a forum like AH, since it's also probably one of those places new users tend to stumble across.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Great idea folks - much more intuitive than Subbed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Would having a filter which combined both My Threads and My Forums not make sense? As it is now I'm 'following' several forums but also have automatic 'following' switched on for when I post in a thread.

With this I end up with a fair amount of duplication accross the two. It'd be nice if we could have it all in one filter on the front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Boooo!

Anyway, great additions. All I want now is a way to remove After Hours from the Latest Posts section of the front page and I'll be happy.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Maybe it's my imagination, but i thought that when i clicked into a subscribed thread after posting/reading it, it brought me back to where i stopped.(I know it does this on mobile boards,so i could be getting mixed up) Now when i click into it,it just brings me back to the beginning..was it always like this?

Oh,but i'm liking the new following bit-much easier.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Good work. I suggested something just like this nearly two years ago, I was wondering when it was going to happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Can you turn off the auto follow on threads when you post in them?

I just changed to beta and was getting new post notifications for threads I haven't posted in for a long time.

Even if there was a expiry option e.g. if haven;t posted in thread in 1 month, remove sub.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Can you turn off the auto follow on threads when you post in them?

It's in 'Edit Options'.

Scroll down to: Default Thread Subscription Mode.

Advertisement