Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Following Forums and Threads (Warning screen shots within - big images)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

OutlawPete wrote: »
    It's in 'Edit Options'.

Scroll down to: Default Thread Subscription Mode.

Ah i thought that was just for email notifications. Ages since i turned that off.

Thanks Pete!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,907 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Plowman wrote: »
    With all the custom code on Boards, I'd imagine an upgrade will be unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

The new set up seems to open a new tab for each new post viewed.

Dont recall this before.

A pity there is not a button to Follow Poster or would it be too much like Twittle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Plowman wrote: »

An upgrade to vBulletin 4 is highly unlikely. As basquille alluded to, we've modified vBulletin 3.8 quite a bit to get it to suit our needs so it would be a lot of work to upgrade to vB4. There aren't a huge number of benefits to moving to version 4 and a pretty big cost in both manpower and potential downtime.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Carlow52 wrote: »
    A pity there is not a button to Follow Poster or would it be too much like Twittle

This is something we've knocked around the office a little bit, but we haven't come to a solid conclusion on how best it would fit in to the site. We may or may not do it in the future, but there's a lot of thinking and a chunk of coding between here and there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Wish there was a my threads up in the menu at the top ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

angel01 wrote: »
    Wish there was a my threads up in the menu at the top ^^

If you click on 'User CP', up in the top left of every page, just under the Boards.ie logo, it shows you a list of all the threads that you are following.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Hmmm...Boards has gone all twittery.

Anyway, I'm truly shocked that only 4% of users have subscribed to (followed) forums/threads. I've been doing that as long as I can remember and I can't even imagine how much hassle it would be not to use it. I suppose it would be ok if you only visited one forum though.

BTW, it sucks that I can't see the 'Follow Forum' or 'Follow Thread' buttons because I'm not using the ugly default skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I use the Beta and I can see them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭King Felix

This following threads business could lead to a lot of bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

King Felix wrote: »
    How so? You could always do it, this feature only makes it easier

DaPoolRulz wrote: »

You're right.

It can be a real labyrinth this place. Even a minor tour of the place can take ageus.

This feature can only help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

DaPoolRulz wrote: »

I think i'm a little bit indecisive... Or am I? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

i was seriously looking for my threads on facebook, oh the shame

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Great idea and well implemented. I used the clunky,maybe even bizarre method of bookmarking all the forums i follow in a folder on the Bookmarks Bar in Chrome and just opened it and hopped from one forum to the other. I never went near the Boards front page!

This is much better.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

You're right.

It can be a real labyrinth this place. Even a minor tour of the place can take ageus.

It makes it easier to peruseus your forums.

WindSock wrote: »
    It makes it easier to peruseus your forums.

Someone should write a theseus on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I'm using one of the other skins so still have to "drop down" to follow a thread.

After clicking on this I am greeted by this screen where subscriptions are still mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

I love the new feature.
    In my forums, is there anyway besides memory to know which threads are read or unread? The 'go to new post' icon would make it epic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

CORaven wrote: »
    I love the new feature.
    In my forums, is there anyway besides memory to know which threads are read or unread? The 'go to new post' icon would make it epic.

When you get email notifications, they always link to the newest post since you last visited the thread.

When you get email notifications, they always link to the newest post since you last visited the thread.

And without the emails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

CORaven wrote: »
    I love the new feature.
    The go to new post functionality is there, as the number in brackets.

In future I imagine we'll be changing the layout of each entry in the lists to make it a bit more legible. It's had that retro "Excel spreadsheet" look for so long it's nearly fashionable.

Click on these little 'pointing down arrows', that precede each thread:

ahgrabarrow.jpg

they are not on the "my forums" page last time I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Is 'Unfollow' a real word? It doesn't trip lightly from the tongue and it sounds inelegant.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

It's not, but we couldn't think of a better alternative.

That said, it may well become a word because we're not the only ones using it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

/Considers alternatives
    Adhere - Dismiss
    Tie me in - Untie me
    Glue - Solvent
    Stalk - Destalk
    :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

OK :mad:

MY preferred way to keep track of my threads was to go to User CP and a list of threads I'd posted in was there. THis seems to ahve gone and I no longer know when threads are updated. There follow fourms are there wright enough but I want to see what threads have new posting !?!?!

I am doing something wrong or did ye ?? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Davy wrote: »

Ok no I don't like that. Its much less useful than the old way. For one thing it just lists all my threads ever. It was much more useful to see the ones with updates.This version doesn't even bold the ones with new threads for example. The other thing is it doesn't show the pages of the thread. I can only click into the first page and then have to click tot he latest page. This is a lot of extra clicking:mad:
    I expect I'll use the site a lot less now

Edit: ok wait something just changed. Now when I click on UserCP there are some followeed threads with updates. THat wasn't there a few mins ago !? Ae you guys changing things now ?

Advertisement