Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

.....Marrakech for Christmas.

• 23-08-2010 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks.

I am looking into going to Marrakech for 10 days at Christmas, has anyone been?

I have been on website, youtube vids etc etc.

Seems great, but is it 10 days great?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance Folks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

10 days is far too long to spend in Marrakesh IMV.

It is a mad place altogether, and the hawkers will drive you to drink (if you can get any!)

Brace yourself for the Jemma al Fna square at nightime. It is amazing, and you can get any food you want all night. Beware the food poisoning though, make sure the cooked food is hot, and the cold food is chilled, and do not under any circumstances drink the water from the tap. Some say it is ok, but the locals have built up an immunity!

Take a trip to the Atlas mountains, I guarantee the hair will stand up on the back of your neck, and that is only from the hairpin bends!

It is a great experience, but 4 or 5 days is ample. Maybe combine your trip with a few days in Essouira on the coast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

I agree with Spanish Eyes you can spend 4 nights in Marakech and then buy a 3 or 4 night trip from a local travel agent and head South over the Atlas mountains into the desert. The pass is over 2000 metres and is a great journey.

Ouarzazate town is the centre of the Moroccan film-location industry and is used constantly for big budget American films. There is an huge old fortress Ait Benahaddou that is used for every type of scene from biblical to modern.

Further South you will see stony type desert (reg) and then reach the sand dune desert (Erg) more usually associated with the Sahara.

There are a couple of deep, long Gorges that can be visietd or traverse in a vechicle. Todra is the most popular one.

And also a vist to an Oasis town like Tozzeur is also recommended.

Advertisement