Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on a new MP3 player

• 23-08-2010 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Wondering if people with my knowledge about the market can help narrow down the vast sea of choices down a little for me :)

This is what I am looking for in my player:
    I am looking for something that will play MP3's and possibly other formats but the other formats are not essential tbh
    Needs to be 80+ in size. I know that the solid state ones are still expensive and a HD model does not bother me tbh (unless someone has a good reason why not to buy HD types)
    I would really like a radio but not essential.
    I would like to find a player that works as a mass storage device save me hassle using horrible transfer software. Again, important but not a deal breaker.
    Long battery life would be nice also.

Thats pretty much it, any thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Wait till the Cowon X7 is announced, it's going to have a nice big HDD capacity.

Otherwise your 80gb+ options are limitted to rather large video orientated PMP's or the ipod Classic/Zune, with the Zune not being strictly available outside of North America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Any thoughts on the 80GB 'Zune' MP3 Player? I know its from MS (shudder) but the reviews are very good

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It's a grand player, with a fantastic gui and some nifty features (like wifi syncing), but you'll get no warranty for it over here as it's available only in North America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

One thing I have not been able to find out, do you know if you can use it as mass storage device? Save me installing crap software I dont want just to transfer music onto it once a blue moon

One thing I have not been able to find out, do you know if you can use it as mass storage device? Save me installing crap software I dont want just to transfer music onto it once a blue moon

Oh absolutely not, the Zune is locked in to the Zune software, there's really no work around for it either. The software is very good, but I completely understand why you'd want to avoid it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

i reckon anything by Archos and you cant go wrong!!! ive had 3 and will get more when the time comes

Advertisement