Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy welding glass?

• 23-08-2010 10:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Was out yesterday evening messing with some long exposures and it got me thinking about the people on here who use welding glass for daytime long exposures - my ND8 was giving me about 30 seconds in the evening light.

Anyone care to share where I can pick some up?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Any DIY or hardware shops should have them, I picked up 4 a few months ago for €3. Haven't really used them much though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

ebay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Do a search for posts by Longshanks, he posted a thread a year or so ago about welding glass and he included a link to an eBay seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Heiton-Buckley or Chadwicks should have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Cheers all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Got one on ebay from a crowd in monaghan - 3.50 bargain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Hi All,

Was out yesterday evening messing with some long exposures and it got me thinking about the people on here who use welding glass for daytime long exposures - my ND8 was giving me about 30 seconds in the evening light.

Anyone care to share where I can pick some up?

Thanks in advance!

I can't imagine the optical properties being very good! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Got one on ebay from a crowd in monaghan - 3.50 bargain!

By windows in that shop !

€1 I paid :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

#13 welding glass.€1.20 from Brownlow in Cork.
    http://www.arbrownlow.com/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Do a search for posts by Longshanks, he posted a thread a year or so ago about welding glass and he included a link to an eBay seller.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055676409
    ^ and the broken link was for this 3900777497_1775154699_t.jpg
    Bought mine on ebay from a seller called dark mullen or mullet or something. Think it was 1.50 inc postage from UK

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Two from last year with the welding mask. I found it very difficult to get rid of the green tinge. The castle is a 40 sec exposure while the river is 25 seconds, both on a bright sunny day.

76EA44797F954138BAA54989975A3018-0000320339-0001874355-00640L-3588625A50214D3CAA48185552951B5B.jpg

7DC407BCB47044ABABC3158919DDB33A-0000320339-0001874356-00640L-58EA7A45E4A346AB8BCC871CD7C82102.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

The green tint is difficult to remove alright. This was probably my best effort at a colour version. I convert them to B&W every other time!

3927234036_3beb87f2b6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Two from last year with the welding mask. I found it very difficult to get rid of the green tinge. The castle is a 40 sec exposure while the river is 25 seconds, both on a bright sunny day.
    The glass cost me €2 via ebay. Fantastic value :D:D:D
    The original was totally green, but i was able to correct this from the RAW editor

Did ya shoot in RAW Denis? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

I found the white balance tool in Camera raw of photoshop was fairly good at getting rid of the green tinge if you shoot RAW that is.

I found that holding the welding glass in front of the lens was a right pain using elastics and very fiddly.

I bought an ultra cheapo UV filter off of some e bay hong kong shop for about 3 euros. I smashed the glass out of it and attached it to the face of the welding glass with blu tack around the outside of the UV filter frame.
    It really works a treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

You can use the Cokin Universal filter holder to hold the welding glass in place. Turns out they fit perfectly. :)

110545.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I get rid of the green tinge by converting the image to Lab colour space and play with the a channel in levels. Works perfectly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Did ya shoot in RAW Denis? :pac:

Yeah, always in Raw but no matter what I did with the sliders in LR I couldn't completely kill the green tinge. Must give Swingking's suggestion a try in CS3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

To think I almost broke my back [literally] in a steel factory [yes, that is what I used to do ladies and ... erm .. ] and never got out with any welding glass ... grrrr. Course, I didn't give a damn about photography when I was actually working.

Advertisement