Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moderator choices

Options
  • 23-08-2010 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

i'm gonna put a mod on the new tikka.
    i can get a stainless steel north star .30 cal mod in stakelums for €295, and while this would have the cool factor of matching the stainless steel barrel, i'd like to know what cheaper options are out there.
    any advice or opinions would be welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

declan1980 wrote: »
    i'm gonna put a mod on the new tikka.
    i can get a stainless steel north star .30 cal mod in stakelums for €295, and while this would have the cool factor of matching the stainless steel barrel, i'd like to know what cheaper options are out there.
    any advice or opinions would be welcome

here is a pic of a tikka t3 lite stainless with a northstar on it. it will give you an idea how it looks

image.jpg

your barrel would be heavier but you get the idea, it looks well in the flesh.
    good idea to go for 30cal first off as you would be able to use it on any gun as long as the tread was the same.
    i have a relflex t8 mod on mine and it suits mine as it has the black fosfated barrel
    iphone2003.jpg

is your barrel threaded or do you have to get it done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

T8 on a stainless varmint barrel.

Fox4murvbogsvix65yards.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Here is an ASE ULTRA S8 Stainless (was expensive but small)
    And a Reflex Mat Black

TBH I prefer the ASE on stainless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    here is a pic of a tikka t3 lite stainless with a northstar on it. it will give you an idea how it looks

image.jpg

your barrel would be heavier but you get the idea, it looks well in the flesh.
    good idea to go for 30cal first off as you would be able to use it on any gun as long as the tread was the same.
    i have a relflex t8 mod on mine and it suits mine as it has the black fosfated barrel
    iphone2003.jpg

is your barrel threaded or do you have to get it done
    i'm a fairly strong chap so i'm not too worried about the weight. yes i have to get the barrel threaded, i'm going to try and get fergal white to do it along with glass and pillar bedding the action, and floating the barrel a bit better (its touching the stock a little on the right back near the action)

johngalway wrote: »
    T8 on a stainless varmint barrel.

Fox4murvbogsvix65yards.jpg
    how much did that set you back john?

• Advertisement

€260 for a reflex mod off a lad I know.

Same as seen on my .308 second pic I posted

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Here are a few mods and average prices. They do depend on where you buy them obviously.

Ase Utra S7/Jet-Z = €380

T8 = €265

Wildcat Predator = €295

I cannot see you getting a NEW mod for less than €270, but there are a few secondhand ones to be gotten at the right price.

Personally i have all three of the above and find the Wildcat the better of them. It does not have the "tinny" feel of sound resonance of the T8 and is not as heavy as the Ase. Plus you can buy inners for the Wildcat that allows you to swap a .30 cal mod to .223 cal mod by buying and changing out the inners. It means 1 mod for multiple caliber rifles.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I have to say the Reflex mod paid for it'self last night. I shot this fella with ease, and I had another down the spout in case another stag offered itself.

OP did you get a mod after?
    I do have to say, after last night I'd never go without one again
    126347.jpg

yep , i got an ase ultra stainless 25 cal for €275. gonna get it fitted next week. then i'm gonna do a hell of a lot of foxing

yep , i got an ase ultra stainless 25 cal for €275. gonna get it fitted next week. then i'm gonna do a hell of a lot of foxing

That was a great price!

Where did you get it?
    Is it the S7?
    What length is it out of curiosity

• Advertisement

That was a great price!

Where did you get it?
    Is it the S7?
    What length is it out of curiosity

i got it off sean harding in thurles.
    the model i a northstar ns-3s .25
    its just under 8" long

i got it off sean harding in thurles.
    the model i a northstar ns-3s .25
    its just under 8" long

Ah, my ASE is ~4 inches long. I was wondering at the price difference

Ah, my ASE is ~4 inches long. I was wondering at the price difference

mine only adds 4" to the barrell, its the kind that goes down over the barrell

mine only adds 4" to the barrell, its the kind that goes down over the barrell

My Reflex is of a similar design.

You got it on yet?

My Reflex is of a similar design.

You got it on yet?
    haven't had time yet, i'm working all this weekend, so i'm hoping to head up to fergal on tuesday if he's available

As a few guys have mentioned prior to this, tha afixing of camo tape may reduce the tin can effect.

Well today i was in inter-shoots Premises in Tyrone, he thew in a roll of Camo tape for free.

I've put it on my Reflex mod.
    I hope to test the new 125grain HPS .308 tomorrow so I'll also be able to monitor to see if there is any difference to the sound with the tape on or off.

Even though I had heard of this tape before, I find it gas stuff, not sticky yet adheres brilliantly if stuck to itself.
    It really makes the Green stock look well on the VTR ;)

Advertisement