Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Phone battery life

Options
  • 23-08-2010 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Can anyone advise on a smart phone with decent battery life. My old sony ericcson lasts around 5 days, I realise I am not going to see anything like that with a smart phone for obvious reasons.

If I could be sure of 2 days charge with average use I would be happy. I'm calling average use - 1 hour phone 7/8 texts + 1 hour music / internet over the 2 days. I have no problem charging it daily when it would be used heavily ..

I have one eye on possibly developing phone apps down the road so my preference is Android with the iPhone next in line.

Meteor seem to be the HTC Legend most (probably because the Desire is out of stock).

Here is where I am at -

The HTC legend (Meteor)
    Seems to have solid reviews. Price is excellent €50 on their €30/€35 per month package (18/12 month contract). Heard conflicting reports on the battery - some good some not great. Something telling me not to buy a phone that was nearly out dated as soon as it was brought to market due to its 600mhz processor. Still price of phone and contract makes it very tempting.

The IPhone 4 (3 mobile)
    More expensive that I had hoped to pay but seems to have been well recieved. €219 from 3 isn't bad on their €40 pm contract. The chargable juice pack (case) that while it makes your phone more bulky can extend your charge by a day or 2 is a big incentive here for me.

I also considered the HTC Desire (Meteor) and the Samsung Galaxy S (3 mobile) but have heard horror stories about the batteries.

Anyone have experience with any or the above phones or is there anything eles I should consider? Any advice much appreciated.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

tbh iPhone/Desire/Galaxy (not sure about the legend) suffer in terms of battery life...the recharging pack only costs about 40-60 quid online (depending on the battery capacity)

saying that desire is cheaper or galaxy you could buy a universal recharging pack and that could do the same day or 2 with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭derickmc

Thanks evolutionqy7, yeah I suppose the recharging packs are an option alright at least you wouldn't be completely stuck.

Has anyone here tried the replacement extended batteries? The standard battery that comes with the HTC Desire is 1150 mAH but you can buy a bulkier 2400 mAh battery which comes with a new back cover. Apparently it makes the phone 5mm thicker. The extra 5mm wouldn't bother me if I could get the magic 2 days from the phone.

These extended batteries are made by 3rd party suppliers not HTC and they seem to have got mixed reviews. Most say, yes, they extended the life of the phone but a few negative comments are - like performance drops off after a few months ..

Anyone here tried these extended batteries? thoughts ..

people seem to use them and their ok...

but only some of them...some cause problems like phone not being able to read 2x the capacity and you need to restart it to get the other 50% charged

have a read here http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=629

people post reviews and tests of aftermarket batteries and cons and pros...

i just bought a spare battery with extra capacity if i need the extra day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sophiekearns

i just bought a spare battery with extra capacity if i need the extra day :)

One of the bulky batteries for the desire is it? How are you finding it?

Did you invest yet derick? thinking along similar lines here. Just know my phone would b dead half the time with the regular battery! mad.gif

no :) well i hoped it was extra capacity cause it stated it was 1600 mah...but when i got it i checked it and it was only the same as the original leo battery :) (giving out to the distributor now)

its the same one :) just got a spare one for emergencies or something...though i have the laptop with me most of the time so i can charge it with the usb cable if i need extra juice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Samsung are releasing a cyborgish combination case/battery pack for the Galaxy that will add an extra 8.5 hrs of talk time and 500 hrs of standby.

http://www.mobileclues.com/samsung-power-pack-ebb-u10-for-samsung-galaxy-s

ebb-u10.jpg

that looks decent enough...most extended batterie covers make your phone look very ugly...

though whats with the thing on the top saying samsung galaxy s...kinda makes the whole thing look worse

hope when the new snapdragons come out with their new powersaving processors they will put atleast 1.5 mah batteries on them :S

sick of conserving power...and missing the 3 day battery life i used to have with the 5800XM

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

This seems a fair thread to ask - does anywhere in Dublin sell spare HTC Desire batteries, extended life or otherwise? Heading to Picnic at the weekend and want to make sure I'm not stuck.

not sure in dublin but im sure if you find a retailer from uk or ebay uk and pay a bit extra it can get over here in a couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

aye true but the earliest would be Friday afternoon and I'd probably head straight to the festival from work so need to be sure I'll get it :/

Could get it delivered to work alright so defo a possibility..

• Advertisement

yeah well the quicker you do it the bigger the chance...

buying stuff on ebay can take a while to get here...but some retailers from the internet use decent carriers like UPS etc can get it over here as quick as in 2 working days...

you can always specify to bring it to work address and leave it under your name or call your when the courier outside :)

i once picked up a laptop while i was in college :) came into the classroom with this big box haha

Advertisement