Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packaging for a Rack Server

Options
  • 23-08-2010 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to package up a rack-mountable Dell Poweredge 2850 for sale on internet auction site. It's a 2u server. Any ideas where I could get appropriate packaging (i.e. foam and corrugated box)? Looked on the web etc but finding it hard to get the right size and even if I can it typically involves shipping 10 boxes from the UK or similar. Any ideas on a local Irish source for this kind of stuff or alternatively, any ideas on how I could improvise? Obviously I don't have any of the original packaging.

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

PM-me and/or meet me tomorrow or day after,around M50.
    I can check on some unpacked servers recently in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

Hi,

Anybody in the Munster area unpack some servers lately and have the boxes lying around? Would be a major result if I could get my hands on some boxes to allow me to ship this machine....

Cheers,
    super_freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

If you are in Cork there is a company (or was not sure they still there) that will make you a box to your specs in about a day.

T O'Shea & Son
    Mayfield Bus Pk Mayfield Cork Co. Cork

* (021)4503456

They used to be located on Popes Quay in the city but I think this is the same guys, call em and ask is all I can say!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭super_freddie

Thanks MusterCycling. Good to know and I'm sure I will use them in the future. I eventually got a box through Limerick Packaging (http://www.limerickpackaging.ie/). Not exactly the right size but a lot of hacking around eventually got the server packaged. They charged me €4.50 so not too bad as it was on my doorstep ... I got a roll of foam in a builders providers for €12 to wrap the server in advance of boxing it. Would guess that I would be able to do about 4 servers in total with this foam so €3 each, giving a total of €7.50 plus a lot of elbow grease to get this baby boxed... might be interesting piece of info for anybody trying to calculate P&P costs in a similar scenario ... would be interested to hear any alternative / superior suggestions.

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

P.S. I would recommend Limerick Packaging as they are a large company but didn't laugh at me for wanting just one box ... unlike one or two other places who will remain nameless.

Advertisement