Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderator Repair?

Options
  • 23-08-2010 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

And no, it's not me who needs fixing. :p

So a friend's moderator, a t8, has developed a small hole on it near the very bottom edge. It's not on the very bottom, the flat part with the nylon washer but on the main tube.

It's in the location of the little white circle on this picture

moderatorhole.png

So can this be cleaned and filled with something like metal filler or is it a case of throwing it away??

I'm told it was never stored on the rifle, was always removed after shooting and has only done about 500-600 rounds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I would first contact the seller it was bought from. They should be able to send it back to Jackson Rifles in the UK, for either a free replacement or a new one for reduced cost, depending on the age of the mod.

If he can't contact the seller, I'd go ahead and contact JR personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Very low round count for that to fail.But if there is a hassle with warranties.A small blob of chemical metal will sort it.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

A mate of mine had pinholes develop at the muzzle end of a T8. He just TIG welded the holes and ground them down. Its working perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Cool, so repair is an option at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Jonty wrote: »
    A mate of mine had pinholes develop at the muzzle end of a T8. He just TIG welded the holes and ground them down. Its working perfectly.

Cheers Jonty, did he finish it with a dab of paint/protection or anything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

poprivet :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

landkeeper wrote: »
    poprivet :cool:

Could be the simplest and cheapest solution.
    The caveat being where one hole appeared, there could be more about to appear!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Not trying to "kick" your mate when he is down, but i had a similar problem as did a few others with T8s. Its the reason i will not buy another one.

I would be cautious of any repairs. I'm no expert by any means and could be "off base". You have alot of pressure in a mod when the rifle is fired. If the repair fails you are (at best) back to square one, or at worst end up with a serious problem.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement