Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Towers/Atkins Hall anyone?

• 23-08-2010 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Morning all,

Just wondering if any other boards members on here living in river towers/atkins hall on the lee road?

Sorry guys maybe I should have been more specific - i live in river towers and we're having problems with services - no rubbish being collected, no cleaning, no grass cutting - to name but a few and i wondered if anyone else on here lived in the same development and might want to get together to form a Residents Association to try sort these issues out.

mod's feel free to edit or delete if necessary

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Little Old Me!

jeez guys 42 views but no replys, i've edited my original post so hopefully that'll help with replies....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

What's your broadband like, out of interest?

Commiserations on all your problems, sounds dreadful. Good luck with organising a group. Have you done anything on your own? Like contacting Threshold and asking them what you can do?

Sorry guys maybe I should have been more specific - i live in river towers and we're having problems with services - no rubbish being collected, no cleaning, no grass cutting - to name but a few and i wondered if anyone else on here lived in the same development and might want to get together to form a Residents Association to try sort these issues out.

mod's feel free to edit or delete if necessary

Would it not be easier to throw a note in every letterbox in the complex, surely that's a more likely way to form a residents association.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Would it not be easier to throw a note in every letterbox in the complex, surely that's a more likely way to form a residents association.

there are over 100 apartments and over 6 different doors with security codes in place so that's not really an option as i wouldn't have access to letter boxes - i did think of asking the postman but reckon that would be a bit cheeky!

i have done up a few notices to stick on doors and notice boards, just thought i'd chance my arm on here - a good a place to start as any!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,567 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Err....there is a Residents Assoc / committee / management committee / whatever already. All residents should have got a letter last week outlining that the management company was suspending all services (maintenance, waste collection, etc) due to the many owners (approx 50% I believe) who have not paid management fees. Don't live there myself BTW.

• Advertisement

They should refund the management fees to those who have paid so on a pro rata basis according to which services are not being provided. Although what they should do is provide all services and get debt collectors to look after those who haven't.

RoverJames wrote: »
    They should refund the management fees to those who have paid so on a pro rata basis according to which services are not being provided. Although what they should do is provide all services and get debt collectors to look after those who haven't.

I'd imagine they'll say it's already been spent on providing services so far! I beleive they are legally pursuing those who haven't paid but the problem is getting court dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 normabrady

i own an apt in atkins hall- meeting re: above problems in clarion cork at 6.30 this tues the 31st aug- please attend as it's very imp. we try sort things out up there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

I don't live there but best wishes for your meeting tonight. Hope you get a decent turnout.

<snip>

If people haven't paid their fees, how are they meant to pay the service providers??!! Have you paid your fees?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

That's right: No money is no money and getting into debt to provide services would be bad management. Complaining won't magically make it better.

thanks everyone for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MacCruiskeen

Hi guys, any news from the meeting? Unfortunately I wasn't able to make it. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Guys, I was at the meeting, but couldn't hang around to get details on committees etc. Can you please PM me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

we've had two bikes stolen last night...one was in the underground carpark and one was chained to railings. they've offered to look at the cctv but since they're not turning on the lights at night anymore, i dont know what they're expecting to see :rolleyes:. has anyone else had anything stolen since the services were cut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jenniej

Hey all, I'm looking in to renting in river towers and i came across this thread, just wondering if anyone knows if there is still issues with refuse collection? and what River Towers is like to live in general? thanks in advance for any feedback :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Massive fire in part of the complex tonight (Atkins Hall). I believe it was part of the building that was not developed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

The_Banker wrote: »
    Massive fire in part of the complex tonight (Atkins Hall). I believe it was part of the building that was not developed.

Nope, it was derelict for some time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

They don't call it Fawlty Towers for nothing!

jenniej wrote: »
    Hey all, I'm looking in to renting in river towers and i came across this thread, just wondering if anyone knows if there is still issues with refuse collection? and what River Towers is like to live in general? thanks in advance for any feedback :)

Glad to have some positive feedback, the development has improved a lot since my last post. The property agent is no longer and the residents are taking control of the development, all problems are being seen to i.e. lights are now all working, rubbish is collected.

So all is getting better, we like living here it's a really nice place with lots of green areas for the kids to play and sit out in nice weather, also great fun in the snow! It's a quiet area the majority of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mdillon

Hey guys,

First of all, not have the rubbish collected is disgusting. I was thinking of renting place in Atkins starting Mid-July. I don't know why, but i like the idea of living there. Can i ask for your honest opinion if its a good idea or not.

Thanks
    :confused:
    Micheal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Can anyone give an update on Atkins Hall/River Towers? Are things still going OK there? Are the two sites managed in the same way? Is UPC available there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

Did anyone in River Towers have a guy call on Monday night to check the fire alarm? I thought it was a extremely odd since is was after 8pm and he had no ID.

I didn't let him in as I was by myself, and then ten minutes later he came back and kept knocking on the door.

Ps: Is anyone else having severe mould/mildew problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Happened to me a few weeks ago, but we got notices in our postboxes in advance that there'd be someone checking the fire alarms. You should check with the building manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ismisebridget

Hi guys,

Can anyone give me an honest opinion about what Atkins Hall is like now?
    Is there safe parking? What are the residents like? Any problems with refuse or maintenance? Would you recommend it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 little.rose

Hi guys,

Can anyone give me an honest opinion about what Atkins Hall is like now?
    Is there safe parking? What are the residents like? Any problems with refuse or maintenance? Would you recommend it?

hi there. I have an apt in River Towers, the building directly behind Atkins Hall. I've had it leased for a year with no problems at all. The residents took it all in hand and have done a great job. The apts in River Towers are quite large. I loved living there myself but had to move. There is parking for Atkins Hall in front of the building and in a carpark behind the building which is covered. I guess the only thing I would ask about is estimated heating costs, as Atkins Hall apts have high ceilings.

Everyone is counting the pennies at the mo and services are selected carefully. Having said that, a few times the residents came out and did work themselves. Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ismisebridget

Thanks Little Rose :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 qwerty88

Hey guys,

Was up lookin at an apartment in Atkins Hall today. It's front facing so the windows are the original ones because of a preservation order. Just wondering if the apartments are cold and what the average cost of heating would be as it had big enough rooms and a good few windows.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Reece76

Hi Qwerty,
    I would be seeking the same answers as you are. I was also there 4 days ago and that is the only question bothering me. Have you found any news or does anyone here know anything?
    Regards,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I don't live there, but have friends that do and I've often spent the night there (Atkins Hall) and my advice would be, if you can afford to rent somewhere else, then do!

Their apartment is FREEZING, and both bedrooms have problems with damp/mold. You can smell the damp as soon as you enter the apartment. The ceilings are high and the storage heaters are very expensive to run and inefficient to heat the place. Not sure what their electricity bills are exactly, but I know they are quite high.

They are going to stick it out for the summer, but are hoping to have moved before next winter.

Advertisement