Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River Towers/Atkins Hall anyone?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 qwerty88

Hi Reece.. I've heard a lot from a few people that live there in private messages. They say to stay away. The rooms are very expensive to heat and dont keep in the heat at all. Im a cold person so this would never do for me. I've gotten another apartment somewhere else. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39 little.rose

hi there, Atkins hall is a very old building with high ceilings. It's naturally going to be cold. The top floor is a newer lay out so may be okay.

River Towers is a separate building, more modern and very comfortable. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Reece76

Thanx Rose.
    Appreciate ur help

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Luna4

Hi everyone,

Could you pls advise me abt Atkins Hall? we are viewing apt there in few days and after online research of this place i have mixed feelings. the history of the building, the opinions abt damp, cold and debris around scare me off. But all the reviews are found are at least 4 years old.Can anyone please say what it is like there in 2014? any children there? its a brill location, in a city centre yet a bit isolated, but i want company for my 8 year old and want her to play outside safely. thank u

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Luna4 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Could you pls advise me abt Atkins Hall? we are viewing apt there in few days and after online research of this place i have mixed feelings. the history of the building, the opinions abt damp, cold and debris around scare me off. But all the reviews are found are at least 4 years old.Can anyone please say what it is like there in 2014? any children there? its a brill location, in a city centre yet a bit isolated, but i want company for my 8 year old and want her to play outside safely. thank u

The apartments are meant to be cold as obviously the building is very old but also the windows are the original ones. I am sure you will hear different views but I think you could do much better regarding a place where your child could safely play. I'll think further about it and get back to you with suggestions . I would think Lee Vista would be safer, it is gated and has a green area. I would prefer it there with a child tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Probably too far out for you but the Old Quarry apartments in Ballincollig are very good. It is a quiet small gated development that seems to be trouble free.

thx guys, the issue for me and my family is that there almost no houses with rent allowance acceptance. if any appears, the competition is so high that we might never be chosen by the landlord/agency. We have been trying for accomodation for weeks now and we werent chosen. Agents say different things, they never get bk to us, absolute nightmare. we live 350km away from Cork now... viewing houses every week and then waiting for being selected as best tenants is just ridiculous. atkins hall is perfect location, sundays well girls school is only 10mins walk from UCC. I have mixed feelings abt the building itself and surroundings but the houses under 900e are not great either... there is no guarantee there will be nice children in neighbourhood. There has been so many apts in atkins hall, im hoping it looks more homely now rather than gloomy asylum. the apt on daft in there got rented within 24hrs...can not be that bad then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I've been living there for the past two years. It can be quite cold in winter, its storage heating and the internal ceilings are about 12 foot, add 6 foot single pane windows and you get the idea. For the price the apartments are decent, especially the ones that were privately owned.

I don't know about kids, but there are a few small children and toddlers around the place on weekends. Personally in 2 years I've never seen any trouble up here. The main selling point for me has always been proximity to UCC and parking. Some of the apartments are on 3 month rolling contracts, so if you get one of those it could be useful for getting your bearings before finding somewhere more suitable.

thank u, if ur living there u should know if the whole building is done up and if its clean around. can u access mile avenue and blarney st through the back of the building or u need to get to Lee rd? thx a mil for the info

Half the building is done up, thee was a fire about 5 years ago that damaged a large portion of the building. They are beginning to fix up some of the damaged areas currently as new investors came in, but there is a 24 hour security presence by the damaged area so its not really an issue. The Lee road is the only access to Blarney street.

• Advertisement

right, its just when u google this place all u get is the haunted former asylum. i cannot get rid of this image n all i imagine is my daughter playing around the remainings of a nuthouse, abandoned scary church and stuff and that the rooms in the apt will look like wards and cells. too vivid imagination i think lol the apt that we are to take is on the ground floor and its not ready yet, i didnt see it in the photos, maybe this is why my imagination doesnt switch off ;) accessing blarney road i meant on foot, going through the side of the building would make the distance much shorter. when i looked up the satellite pic it looks like it would be possible to walk to the shanakiel road/ ashboro etc to get to strawberry hill (thats where the girls school is) thx again Ilovesmybrick, ur posts are very helpful and heartwarming ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 B.boy2014

Luna, I was wondering if you have proceeded in your plan to rent at Atkins Hall. Looking at possibly renting here also and interested to hear your feedback.

Also does anybody know what is the plan for the development of the remaining part of the building and surrounding areas. Has anyone seen any developers plans?

hi, no last minute i found lovely small house with gas heating and little backyard. Im happy i didnt take it as it would be so far to my daughter's school and city centre where i work. them highly ceiling and electric heating really put me off. no washing will dry up in the winter time there. plus no children there so im happy im not there, i like southern part of the city more. good luck

hi, no last minute i found lovely small house with gas heating and little backyard. Im happy i didnt take it as it would be so far to my daughter's school and city centre where i work. them high ceilings and electric heating really put me off. no washing will dry up in the winter time there. plus no children there so im happy im not there, i like southern part of the city more. good luck

Hey b.boy
    I've been living here for three years. Ups and downs as with anywhere. If you want a chat and a look send me a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Reece76

Hi Guys,

All i can say is it is good in Summer but in winter you will definitely freeze. Even extra heating wont be adequate especial if you have children. I wouldnt worry about security as it is manned 24 hours with guards on-site. I lived there until 2013 so I know what Im talking about. The electricity bill will sky rocket and it is storage heating which considering the high ceilings is never enough so u need to use the booster switch. I reckon you know where im heading to.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Tenantt

It has been a long time since the last post here.

From what I can gather, the major issue with Atkin's Hall concerns cold and heating bills.

Has anything changed in this regard in 2022?

Can anyone living here now/recently advise on any potential issues to be aware of for prospective tenants in River Towers/Atkins Hall?

For example, structural/damp issues in either apartment complex, length of time to walk to city centre, internet providers/speeds, amenities close by, lighting, anti-social behaviour, noise from other apartments etc

Post edited by Tenantt on

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sw59td

Would be good to know as there are a couple going for sale in Atkins Hall

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CatDunn39

Hi, current AH tenant here. Everything has been going downhill over the years of us living here. There is no security on site, car and bike theft instances in the past year have happened.

It is extremely cold. The original windows are not replaceable but they are also not willing to refurbish them or do any maintenance therefore you will find some apartments, like mine have massive gaps and holes in the windows.

Management is definitely worsening. Maintenance is very difficult to obtain. We are without proper heating for over a week now in - temperatures. Painters never returned to finish painting rooms. Mould everywhere, books, clothes, on walls, furniture, literally everywhere no matter how much you heat. Black mould, white mould, you name it. It’s all here. Waited 3 + months to have old rotting fridge replaced.

Fire alarm going off at random. These are industrial style alarms, 3-4 per apartment in the middle of the night sometimes. Sometimes more than once.

I know rental market is horrible, but I would not wish these living conditions on anyone. It is beyond ridiculous landlords get away with this. We are looking for alternative accommodation, without luck so far. There will be some poor souls who will rent here after we are gone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sw59td

What is it like in River Towers?

• Advertisement
Advertisement