Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CAO Website Attacked

• 23-08-2010 11:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

CAO website blocked by malicious attack
    listen Monday, 23 August 2010 11:12

The CAO website containing offers of college places for students has crashed because of a malicious attack.

The CAO says the attack is coming from an unknown, malicious, source. It has urged students not to panic, reminding them that the deadline for accepting places is a week away.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0823/cao.html

Cruel for the people who are trying to see if they got in.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Bad form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I think this is someone over exaggerating, I seem to remember the CAO site suffering every year, probably just couldn't take the load of people going on to it at once.

More than likely the server fees were another "unnecessary expense" for our government. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

Pretty bad alright, Joe Duffy is going to have a field day with this, might even try and get the internet banned since some scummer decides to act the maggot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Attacked my arse.

The only thing it was attacked by was typical shoddy Irish planning. Someone is too cheap to upgrade their server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Maintenance Notice

Due to maintenance work, the CAO web site is currently unavailable.
    We apologise for the inconvenience.

RTE jumping the gun as expected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

allanb49 wrote: »

The CAO website containing offers of college places for students has crashed because of a malicious attack.

The CAO says the attack is coming from an unknown, malicious, source.

It shall be named the "bank black hole virus"
    Who do they think they are coddin'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Its a malicious attack by thousands of students logging on to see did they get their place in college.

Typical. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Yeash, government body has to do one thing all year and... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Some nerds would have the motive, given that the nerd points were upped this time round.

If you can't join em, beat em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Happens every year, last night I was reading posts on how the server would crash this morning.

Tens of thousands of students are trying to access it as the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Listening to an "expert" on it on the radio now. The rubbish he is coming out with.
    Some Gob****e cyber attacked them

Apparently the site went down, they rebooted it, and the "cyber-attacker" hacked them again.

I wonder.

Still no actual details, just that the site is down. Ironic the site goes down every year but this year its not because they didn't get a decent server, its because of an evil hacker.

I cant make a :rolleyes: big enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Username: Admin

Password: Admin

Click here to turn off site: [ ]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

syklops wrote: »
    Listening to an "expert" on it on the radio now. The rubbish he is coming out with.

Listened to another expert on the news myself.
    "Take a few deep breaths children, go and buy the paper and check up the points that way"

Yaay, knowledge economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Wouldnt it be ironic if the points for Web Design went down?

http://www.cao.ie/apply.php?page=myapp

I have to say, I dont have much confidence in any site whose web application is called: "myapp".

:rolleyes:

Nerdiest thing i've heard ina while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

TheZohan wrote: »

Password: Admin

Click here to turn off site: [ ]

ahhh give them some credit the password is more likely to be :Admin1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Gary4279

got to see my offer this morning (got my 1st choice), went to accept and the whole thing went. :P maybe i broke it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

ye know nothing!

the password is "password" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Anybody who has logged on to the CAO website today has almost certainly contracted a deadly computer virus that could potentially allow hackers to take control of your computer and blow it up.

The only way to delete this virus is to remove the HDD from your computer and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds. This will reset your computer to the factory settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Anybody who has logged on to the CAO website today has almost certainly contracted a deadly computer virus that could potentially allow hackers to take control of your computer and blow it up.

The only way to delete this virus is to remove the HDD from your computer and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds. This will reset your computer to the factory settings.
    What about deleting system 32 folder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭deandean

Reminds me of Eirkom complaining a few months ago of Denial of Service cyber attacks - I heard later is was simply that their infrastructure couldn't handle the traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Gary4279 wrote: »
    got to see my offer this morning (got my 1st choice), went to accept and the whole thing went. :P maybe i broke it :P

Divided by zero eh?

Good advice there from Voodu Child, although I recommend leaving it in the microwave for a minute. Just to be sure the nasty viruses are destroyed. Stay safe kids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

syklops wrote: »
    Good advice there from Voodu Child, although I recommend leaving it in the microwave for a minute. Just to be sure the nasty viruses are destroyed. Stay safe kids!

Yeah, it depends really. The 30 seconds suggestion was for a 1000W microwave. If yours is only 800W or 600W then adjust the time to suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Consequences will never be the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Tucking Fypo

Could it have been our resident hacker? TOS. :p*

*Hope you can mention him around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭a_l_a_n

Is there and legislation in this country about "cyber-attacks"? Or do the CAO TOS just say you cant launch DDoS on us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Wouldnt it be ironic if the points for Web Design Computing went down?

Web design has feck all really to do with networks/servers/hosting etc

OT: And we paid €45.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Yeah, I'm a bit curious about the DoS notice: "Hey lads, typically we only get 4-5 hits a day in the last few months! Today we suddenly got thousands of hits! Must be one of those deny-us-our-service attacks that ya hear about."

a_l_a_n wrote: »
    Is there and legislation in this country about "cyber-attacks"? Or do the CAO TOS just say you cant launch DDoS on us?

Er... Its complicated.

Good discussion here:

http://www.tjmcintyre.com/2009/07/eircom-hacking-shows-flaws-in-irish.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

I don't think it's completely unbelievable that the site got attacked... if there was ever a day to do it, it'd be today.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

a_l_a_n wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure whoever is doing it isn't at home just hitting f5. It'd be the whole owning or hiring a botnet that'd get you in trouble!

Mark200 wrote: »
    I don't think it's completely unbelievable that the site got attacked... if there was ever a day to do it, it'd be today.

Its not completely unbelieveable, but it goes down nearly every year when the results come out. This report of it being hacked or DoS'ed seems strange and a bit suspicious to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Why are my taxes going into letting those f***ing students check their results from home? :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

Bambi wrote: »
    Why are my taxes going into letting those f***ing students check their results from home? :mad::mad::mad:
    We're accepting college places not checking results and im sure its alot cheaper and cost effective to do things online these days

No wonder child and teenage obesity is on the rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

Its back up!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

:confused:

Firstly, students pay the CAO for the service.

Secondly, accepting places online is probably the cheapest and most efficient method available...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

:confused:

Firstly, students pay the CAO for the service.

Secondly, accepting places online is probably the cheapest and most efficient method available...

Nonsense, Making students go around each college with a begging bowl is far cheaper

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Nonsense, Making students go around each college with a begging bowl is far cheaper
    Plus it's presumably far more emotionally satisfying for the college staff to then spit in their bowls, laugh at them, and slam the door in their faces than it would be to send a formalised "No" through the site. It's important to consider these human touches, which can get lost in this digital age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Heres a neat trick, call up RTE and pose as an expert/security consultant/hacker

Tell them the following,

Someone put the hard disk where the floppy disk goes, and the floppy disk where the hard disk goes.

RTE pays you 500 euro for saying that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Maybe

Password: Password

• Registered Users Posts: 41 gahsux

The website appears to be running Microsoft-IIS/6.0. Never a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭wingnut

The buttons are lifted straight from the Joomla CMS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

wingnut wrote: »
    The buttons are lifted straight from the Joomla CMS.

So?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

R0ot wrote: »
    I think this is someone over exaggerating, I seem to remember the CAO site suffering every year, probably just couldn't take the load of people going on to it at once.

Every year it goes down and the headlines say 'CAO Servers can not handle the volume', . . . . . . every year they promise it is fixed for next year. This year it's 'CAO down because they were victims of attack !!!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

Anyone else think it's ironic that it'll be blamed on kids who have no fecking idea how to use a computer but can clearly DDoS a site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

I just saw the news with the "expert" i have not laughed so hard,
    This kind of attack is not for fiancial or political it's pure vandilism, Tens of thousands of computers attacked the site today.

I call bullshít

• Advertisement
Advertisement