Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cyclocross tyres on a roadbke?

• 23-08-2010 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Hey, quick question.

Can you put cyclocross tyres onto a normal roadbike? They bike im using now has 700 x 23c slick tyres on it. I did Gaelforce West on Saturday, and even though the bike held out, i had to go very slow at parts. So is it possible to replace the tyres with cyclocross ones for future reference??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Almost certainly not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Depends on the bike. Rear tyres generally aren't a problem, but some (many?) forks won't have enough clearance for a CX tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Depends on the bike I would think, did GF last year on my roadie with touring tyres 700x28s, not much space left for more. (Did it on my mtb this year with slicks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

would it be possible to put a cyclocross fork on to a road bike so there would be enough clearance for a cyclocross tyre??

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

yeah a cross fork will work...but you will probably have to change your brakes on the front then.. and even then I would doubt you will have clearence on the back of the bike.... only one way to find out though.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Even if you had frame clearance on the back the standard reach caliper brakes would not clear. Long reach calipers would require different frame measurements and even then would clog with mud if you were using it off road. It may just be my imagination but I think I have heard of people replacing the 700c wheels with 650c for more tyre clearance and using long reach calipers. To be honest though for your use you probably just want wider slicks rather than CX tyres which are really optimal for mud/off-road only. Many road bikes will take 700x28c and virtually all 700x25c. The jump even from 23 to 25 makes a significant difference to the ride. Far from optimal but I have done heavily loaded touring on Italian strada bianchi with 700x25c tyres and survived. I wouldn't do it again given the choice but I wouldn't tour with knobbly CX tyres either. You just want a bit wider.

Advertisement