Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

allergic reaction to mosquito bites

Options
  • 23-08-2010 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭

I got bitten first maybe 5 years ago sitting outside my cork city home on a warm summer evening. These bites caused a reaction which left my leg and arm swelling up gradually for 2 or 3 days to such a degree that I couldn't use either very effectively, the swelling lasted for a week, so off to the Doc. and he gave me something. Over the years since I've been bitten a few times and had the swelling but not as bad and have taken antihistamines. I've heard of some elderly women down the country being bitten and they couldn't walk for a week after, due to swelling and 'harness' of leg.
    Do we grow a tolerance to these reactions over time? Why does it seem like a new phenomena in Ireland -these nasty mossie bites?????

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Depends on how your immune system reacts, some people become sensitised so in future exposures the reaction is more rapid. Some become over sensitised and can suffer hypersensitivity reactions, the extreme of which is the anaphylactic shock.

As to increased incidence, I knew someone about ten or fifteen years back had this sort of fly bite problem, but noone since. It may be coincidence or it may be a geniune increase you're noticing, hard to tell without some sort of records

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I get midget bites the whole year round, but for some reason in September or October if I get bitten I get a huge reaction, end up with a huge patch of red hardness and get prescribed antihistamine. Two years running, within a day of each other, checked the cream I got. I get bitten during the summer but never react - I presume that it is because they are dying or something and carry some sort of allergen at that stage??

that reaction the OP said sounds exactly like the one I get, but I don't understand why it is only in Autumn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

I got bit yesterday and my hand is really swollen and feckin sore too. Took some tablets and put some Anthison cream on. Still the same. Any advice guys?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

hitman79 wrote: »
    I got bit yesterday and my hand is really swollen and feckin sore too. Took some tablets and put some Anthison cream on. Still the same. Any advice guys?

Head to the doc I'd say - probably needs something stronger than the Antisan.

I managed not to get bitten this October :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Slightly offtopic DEET works by masking the smell of humans so insects can't locate us.

Autumn might be something to do with spore fever perhaps ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

Had a similar reaction in the states a few years ago. I got bitten multiple times while on a camping trip and over a couple of days my face swelled to a point where I was not recognizable. I ended up in a&e as I had problems breathing and could hardly see due to the swelling. Thankfully, a large dose of steroids had me back to normal within a few hours. The doctors warned me at the time that such allergic reactions could get worse over the years. Since then, every time I go abroad to a mosquito area I bring a supply of antihistamines, steroids and a shot of adrenalin (just in case). I have had a few milder reactions since but never any bad problems in Ireland. I believe the species of mosquito play a role in the type of reaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

hitman79 wrote: »

This won't help you hitman :) but in case someone else checks here. Witch Hazel or After Bite. The latter very good if you rub it on straight away. Won't stop bump but will stop itch.

Advertisement