Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How big is a Cup?

Options
  • 23-08-2010 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi,

Alot of recipes I come across (particulary on American sites) mention using cup measurement, i.e 1 cup full of pasta rice/pasta.

What I want to know is how much is a cup full, I have many cups at home all different sizes! Is there a standard cup size that should be used here???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

The American cup is 8 floz.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

8 fluid ounces in volume. You can now buy measuring cups easily, in Dublin at least. I used to hate it as a measuring system, but it's actually a lot handier than weighing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

Thanks a million guys! ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Just remember that cups measure volume as opposed to weight.

So while 1 cup of sugar may be equal to 100g, this doesn't mean that 100g of flour for example would be equal to 1 cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

If you don't have proper cups, as per the above, find a mug in your house that holds 8 fluid ounces of water. (Measure the 8 fl oz in a measuring jug, and then pour it into various things until you find something that the 8 fl oz pretty much comes to the brim of.)

Then use that object for measuring everything as per your recipe - as you can imagine, the resulting weight of the cup packed with sugar will be very different to the weight of the cup holding pasta, for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,426 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Also, if the whole recipie is in cups, then it doesn't matter what you use, and its still in the same ratio
    (ignore things like pinch of salt)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kylith wrote: »
    I used to hate it as a measuring system, but it's actually a lot handier than weighing things.
    You think? I despise volumetric measurement, it takes no account of compression, e.g. a cup of short grain rice weighs more than long grain. I prefer a digital scale with a tare/zero function. I think I hate it so much as I am so precise about things.
    And that would be US fluid oz
    A fluid ounce (abbreviated fl oz, fl. oz. or oz. fl.) is a unit of volume equal to about 28 mL in the imperial system or 30 ml in the US system.
    the difference is only a small amount and would usually cancel itself out, e.g. if all were wrong it would result in a smaller amount in the right proportions.
    Mellor wrote: »
    Also, if the whole recipie is in cups, then it doesn't matter what you use, and its still in the same ratio
    The problem can come when they mix "cups" with ml. I have a hobby dominated by the US where measurements are vital (e.g. 2% off and it will might not work) and they are all over the place with their cups & crap, I have asked time and time again and nobody has a clue who much stuff should weigh, its quite bizarre.

The one to watch for is a US gallon, on many bodybuilding sites they recommend a gallon of milk a day, so many non-US guys are probably drinking a litre too much.

"Cups" vary around the world
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cup_%28unit%29

Advertisement