Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First real hill - need a benchmark

• 23-08-2010 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi all,

Have been cycling for a few weeks now since getting a Specialized Secteur Sport on the cycle to work scheme.

Yesterday I went from Maynooth to Blessington in order to try out a hill or two. Up to now I've been putting in the miles around Kildare and it's pretty flat. My route took me through Kilteel then up to Tinode, over what appears to be called "Lamb Hill" on Google Maps.

From the bottom to top is about 2k and climbs about 130m which works out about 6.5% average gradient. Towards the top my Garmin was telling me it was over 10%.

To my shame I had to stop a couple of times, and ended up walking the last 200m. The whole thing is literally up a dead straight road so there's no chance of a breather without stopping.

However, I feel that this hill could provide me with a good benchmark for my fitness and as it's only about 25k from home I'm nicely warmed up by the time I get there. I'm starting from a pretty low base level of fitness however!

What I'm wondering however is how it compares with other hills in Wicklow. I've seen mention on here of Slaughterhill, The Wall etc and wondered how this one compared?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

You need a longer more gradual climb with no sharp ramps. Short steep ascents wont really help you until you have some sort of climbing base. Try going on past Kilteel and onto Eadstown. Turn left and you will meet a long hill (avg.5-6%), once you get over then its a nice run into Blessington then back along the N81.

Alternatively, you can go up and down Windmillhill just west of Rathcoole. Its steep enough but close to home if it wears you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

The hill you're talking about is ok, not great and far too short. A run that I quite like is leaving Blessington heading N81 to tallaght. 20km so nicely warmed up by the time you start the climbing.

Get onto old bawn road and go towards the old mill. Keep going and head for Sally Gap. Its a great, difficult and long climb from Tallaght to the Sally Gap.

As you build up one route you may think is from Maynooth is head towards Blessington and turn off at Kilbride and climb up to Sally Gap. When you get there you can turn left towards Dublin. Great fun going down from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

iregk wrote: »
    Get onto old bawn road and go towards the old mill. Keep going and head for Sally Gap. Its a great, difficult and long climb from Tallaght to the Sally Gap.

Ouch, i came down this yesterday having headed up from The blue Gardinia in Brittas, the lads at the bottom were walking with their bikes and no where near the top, think ill save this one for later in biking career;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 aspender

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yesterday's trip was 72km in all, and that was just touching the Dublin/Wicklow mountains. I came back via the route you mention Velo, into Naas and up through Sallins and Clane. I'll have to try heading out on that route next time, then maybe back through Saggart and Celbridge. Something like this maybe: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/157673

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

aspender wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have been cycling for a few weeks now since getting a Specialized Secteur Sport on the cycle to work scheme.

Yesterday I went from Maynooth to Blessington in order to try out a hill or two. Up to now I've been putting in the miles around Kildare and it's pretty flat. My route took me through Kilteel then up to Tinode, over what appears to be called "Lamb Hill" on Google Maps.

From the bottom to top is about 2k and climbs about 130m which works out about 6.5% average gradient. Towards the top my Garmin was telling me it was over 10%.

To my shame I had to stop a couple of times, and ended up walking the last 200m. The whole thing is literally up a dead straight road so there's no chance of a breather without stopping.

However, I feel that this hill could provide me with a good benchmark for my fitness and as it's only about 25k from home I'm nicely warmed up by the time I get there. I'm starting from a pretty low base level of fitness however!

What I'm wondering however is how it compares with other hills in Wicklow. I've seen mention on here of Slaughterhill, The Wall etc and wondered how this one compared?
    That's one steep little hill okay - I only discovered it for myself recently.
    I think it's hard to compare hills as they're all a bit different but your progress towards conquering that one would show you how you're improving. You could approach the challenge in a number of ways - try and get a lttle further each time before you're forced to stop, try and get up with as few stops as possible, try to walk as little of it as possible and if you really want to be hard on yourself, time it!
    Having said that, don't try it too often - maybe once every month or two.

• Advertisement

Greyspoke wrote: »
    That's one steep little hill okay - I only discovered it for myself recently.
    I think it's hard to compare hills as they're all a bit different but your progress towards conquering that one would show you how you're improving. You could approach the challenge in a number of ways - try and get a lttle further each time before you're forced to stop, try and get up with as few stops as possible, try to walk as little of it as possible and if you really want to be hard on yourself, time it!
    Having said that, don't try it too often - maybe once every month or two.

Cheers Greyspoke - combined with the rest of the advice you're right. I'll be back to it, but after I've built up a base level of climbing ability on gentler and longer slopes!

At least I got some good clipping in practice on the way up, and the descent down the other side proved that I'm going to need to get better brakes at some point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

What size gears are in the rear? Throw on a 26 or 27, I forget which is the biggest for a road bike derailleur.

If that doesn't work, throw on a mountain derailluer and you can get even more gears, like 33, 34, ...

No matter what, you never walk the bike.:mad:

Try standing on every hill you come to, that will build up strength fast.

FISMA wrote: »
    What size gears are in the rear? Throw on a 26 or 27, I forget which is the biggest for a road bike derailleur.

30x25 - yep I failed on the granny ring
    No matter what, you never walk the bike.:mad:

Trust me, it won't happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I run a 13 - 28t cassette with a 52-42-30t triple. Very handy for the climbs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Aspender,
    If you need more gears, then do it.

I will have to count again, as I have forgot, but if memory serves me correct, I have a 22 chainring on the crank and a 36 chainring in the rear.

I do a fair share of crazy hills and do not like to walk. If cars go up the hill, so to can cyclists.

If we're talking about a hill that gives quads and motorbikes a hard time, then that's another story.

• Advertisement
Advertisement