Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The biggest spider I'v ever seen.

Options
  • 23-08-2010 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what this beast of a spider is.
    I was getting a glass of water the pther night and I spotted him/her on the floor.
    After the photo I tried to scoop him/her up to expel him/her from the room and up he/she leapt about 2"s into the air and scampered across the floor.
    I finally cornered him/her and gently placed him/her outside for a life of freedom.
    Are they poisness?
    Do they bite?
    What is the name of it and are they native to Ireland?
    Is it the biggest spider in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

house spider ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Black Heart

Yes, it seems to be a male house spider (Tegenaria domestica). The males tend to wander, and they often enter houses looking for females.

They're harmless, and common in Ireland. There is also Tegenaria duellica, known as the giant house spider, but I have not seen one in a house so far.

Also, you should use the word venomous, rather than poisonous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Did you win anything on that lotto ticket? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Yes, it seems to be a male house spider (Tegenaria domestica). The males tend to wander, and they often enter houses looking for females.

They're harmless, and common in Ireland. There is also Tegenaria duellica, known as the giant house spider, but I have not seen one in a house so far.

Also, you should use the word venomous, rather than poisonous.

Is this common to Ireland? the giant house spider? I saw a huge spider in a shed at the back of the family home years ago, people didnt believe me, it was nearly the size of the palm of my hand and its web was huge, freaked me out

As far as I know, the giant house spider is widespread. Check out the fourth picture from this page for size.

http://www.uksafari.com/housespiders.htm

In my experience, tegenaria domestica turns up in houses commonly, but I've only seen the giant house spider in locations such as old sheds, timber piles, tile stacks, etc.

• Advertisement

Thats like it I think, it was a good few years ago, it was bigger in all proportion, maybe the same size but slightly thicker body and legs.
    It was under wooden flooring that was turned over in a shed that was being cleared, a whole section was turned over to reveal a huge web in a corner, kinda triangular shape at least 10 prob 12 inches on two sides with a diagonal joining them,
    Only myself and another person saw it, it was big (the spider) the other person thinks we may have over estimated its already large size in our mind out of fright as we were suprised/freaked when when we saw the spider

You probably saw a female, which have an overall thicker appearance (larger abdomen and shorter, thicker legs), and are also likely to be found in their webs. Most people see the males when they begin wandering in search of mates during autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Does anyone know what this one is? It's not the biggest I've ever seen, but comes close. The grasshopper its eating was about 1 inch long. Seen in the south of England at the weekend.

picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=7127
    picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=7128

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

ThunderCat wrote: »

Money spider? :D

That wouldn't be a particularly big house spider in my experience. Had a greenhouse with tomato plants years ago. The conditions were obviously nice for them. I've never seen Irish spiders bigger than the ones I found in there.

Half-cocked, it's called Argiope bruennichi, a wasp spider, as it's known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Half-cocked, it's called Argiope bruennichi, a wasp spider, as it's known.

Do we have them in Ireland?

No, we don't have them in Ireland. They live in the southern half of England, but are spreading northwards, apparently, thanks to warmer weather. Maybe someday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BargainHunter

As far as I know, the giant house spider is widespread. Check out the fourth picture from this page for size.

http://www.uksafari.com/housespiders.htm

In my experience, tegenaria domestica turns up in houses commonly, but I've only seen the giant house spider in locations such as old sheds, timber piles, tile stacks, etc.
    Thanks for the link. Good info there. Especially this part.
    The species shown in the photo above is very similar in appearance to the 'aggressive house spider' or hobo spider (Tegenaria agrestis), which is known to bite humans with little provocation. Despite its name, it is rarely seen in houses, preferring sheds, garages, and log piles.
    I had a Tegenaria in my bedroom which I tried to capture and remove but couldnt. He was quite aggressive, trying to bite the little torch that I poked into his web.

One morning I woke up with a massive bite on my shoulder and I dont know what did it. I was wondering if it was the spider, but Ill never know for sure.

It could have been a hobo spider. I've been told they don't turn up much in houses. They prefer waste ground, but then again, if you live near, they may wander in.

I've seen people with nasty bites from various flies, so it's more likely that your bite was a result of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 humpysomething

Funny you mention this. I found a massive one in my back hall last week. He was huge! Don't usually see them this big, any reason why there are more big ones around?
    Sorry about the fuzzy picture, I was trying not to run away.

If it was very large, it might have been Tegenaria duellica. It cartainly looks like a male, though you need close examination of these spiders to be sure of which species you are looking at.

Tegenaria males begin to search for mates at this time of year, and if you have have duellica in your locality, it isn't impossible that a number of them could turn up. You could have a female in, or in the vicinity, of your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Can anyone tell me what this beast of a spider is.
    I was getting a glass of water the pther night and I spotted him/her on the floor.
    After the photo I tried to scoop him/her up to expel him/her from the room and up he/she leapt about 2"s into the air and scampered across the floor.
    I finally cornered him/her and gently placed him/her outside for a life of freedom.
    Are they poisness?
    Do they bite?
    What is the name of it and are they native to Ireland?
    Is it the biggest spider in Ireland?

Just turfed two of those bad boys out in the last few nights, pretty big and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

ThunderCat wrote: »

No, 4 euro quick pick and not one number came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I live in a solid stone cottage with lots of nooks & crannies for these guys to hide out. From mid-September to late October I am plagued by giant house spiders (well, Mrs Billy is). I could turf out up to 5 per night. (Probably the same 5 each night. :o) They are fast critters too.

As for my shed - it would send an arachnophobe into a serious meltdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I was out in our shed one evening and saw a fairly large moth flying around. Thought to myself that it likely wouldn't be too long til it found it's way into a web, and sure enough it found the huge web in the window.

One of those house spiders came booting it along from out of it's hiding spot and quick as you like was busy paralyzing the moth. I was hoping to see it wrap up it's victim in a cocoon, but instead it just sucked it's organ juices :pac: out there and then and left the carcass where he'd killed it.

Here's a pic of the juice-suckage...

4927268811_6af1d9912f_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

Would this one be a giant house spider? I actually heard it climbing up my bedroom wall over a poster so I caught it and put it in the bath (and later outdoors). I'm not usually bothered by spiders but this one kind of freaked me out a bit. I didn't realise we had biting spiders in Ireland. Would they give a bad bite?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Tzetze wrote: »
    I was out in our shed one evening and saw a fairly large moth flying around. Thought to myself that it likely wouldn't be too long til it found it's way into a web, and sure enough it found the huge web in the window.

One of those house spiders came booting it along from out of it's hiding spot and quick as you like was busy paralyzing the moth. I was hoping to see it wrap up it's victim in a cocoon, but instead it just sucked it's organ juices :pac: out there and then and left the carcass where he'd killed it.

Here's a pic of the juice-suckage...

4927268811_6af1d9912f_z.jpg

Jaysus thats a big one, great shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Why did i click on this thread ? I think im gona pass out:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

omg i feel sick ...ive never had so many as this year ...in the house its awful i hate them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭leinsterrugby

this is like ****ing scaring the **** out me like wtf!!!!!!!! that thing is not normal!!!!!!! i though we were free of spiders like that :(

They're harmless. Leave your lights on, they won't come out so much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

ive had ten like that in my house im terrified ........................all squashed im glad to say ...sorry but its them or me ...

:eek: Squashed? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

No sleep for me tonight.........

• Advertisement

I go on the basis they get other stuff, unless they are too big and are hanging around the bedroom

Advertisement