Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The biggest spider I'v ever seen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I have these monsters living between some heavy curtains and the lining, they come out at night to terrify me, and leave a load of poop under the curtains. What can I do about it??? I'm thinking I have to move house :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

planetx they're harmless really!

Evicted this lad ten minutes ago. Wasn't too happy at first but it was grand once outside! Sorry about the quality - it was in a plastic container!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

planetX wrote: »
    I have these monsters living between some heavy curtains and the lining, they come out at night to terrify me, and leave a load of poop under the curtains. What can I do about it??? I'm thinking I have to move house :eek:

spider poop!? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

never slept last night there was a huge one in my bedroom.the fly spray saw it off but im so afraid of them,there seems more this yr than other years
    is there anyway to keep them away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭Black Heart

Morganna wrote: »
    never slept last night there was a huge one in my bedroom.the fly spray saw it off but im so afraid of them,there seems more this yr than other years
    is there anyway to keep them away.

Keep windows closed, doors closed, especially near sunset, that's when they start becoming most active. They only need a minute to get in, they are very fast moving spiders. :)

Also, if you're brave enough, take a look around the house and ensure there are no females in residence. The males are looking for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭angelxx

In the past couple of weeks I have noticed some huge spiders in the house. They appear to be getting larger every time and I'm terrified of them lol

I actually constructed some mesh covers for our windows. I can say that they have been a great success. :D

I actually constructed some mesh covers for our windows. I can say that they have been a great success. :D

Really? Are they working for you? Sounds like a good idea, Anything to keep them out :o

They work perfectly, and are easy to make. You just need to buy some mosquito netting, then cut it to fit the size of the window. The netting I have came with special sticky tape, which doesn't lose its stickiness, so it can be lifted when you need to open or close the window. :)

They work perfectly, and are easy to make. You just need to buy some mosquito netting, then cut it to fit the size of the window. The netting I have came with special sticky tape, which doesn't lose its stickiness, so it can be lifted when you need to open or close the window. :)

Thank you Black Heart :):)
    That's very helpful, Just saw another huge spider in my room :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

87593E467F81459D82EFBD69E6075E67-0000336223-0001881225-00800L-AE238186582F4A1DBDEABB919A85CFF7.jpg

from the bath the other morning. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Mabel wrote: »
    planetx they're harmless really!

Evicted this lad ten minutes ago. Wasn't too happy at first but it was grand once outside! Sorry about the quality - it was in a plastic container!

I know they are, and I don't kill them. I've got way better with spiders - normal ones that is. It's these huge ones, they make me come out in a cold sweat and my heart thumps and makes me dizzy.
    And yes, spider poop. That's how I find where my latest friends are hiding. Big problem is that they are in the curtain lining, and there's no way I can go looking there for them there. I'm pretty sure it's the giant house spider, I've had them in here before - like tarantulas:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

I was out cutting the lawn and hedge today when I spotted this beast.... :D anybody got any idea what type of Spider this is? I've genuinely NEVER seen a Spider this big before. It wasn't a daddy longlegs or anything... it was definitely a Spider! :p

Here's a few pics:

6F53773ED6194E5BA9C083696494C77D-0000337001-0001884518-00800L-D48E1994DC3549E09EBB3D5D88CC9A37.jpg

48AB9CAEA61F416FB0E4AE545A7A5A52-0000337001-0001884514-00800L-CCED79045FEE474C9C3164052AAEC8B7.jpg

DC2AF4993B0048BE8C1485BED92AACE5-0000337001-0001884512-00800L-8624372442494049AC8F93B9353D7705.jpg

C28C496F40F146ADBC986A8A2500642A-0000337001-0001884511-00800L-8DC22298303C4D30B867C202BDFD740E.jpg

Here's the rest of my pics- http://pix.ie/vinnyoc/album/386291

Look at those huge eyes! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

how will i know where to look for a female,that may be hiding in my house,oh dear im terrified of the things.is there anything that deters them....im loosing sleep over this.....but am relieved to know im not the only one suffering...

how will i know where to look for a female,that may be hiding in my house,oh dear im terrified of the things.is there anything that deters them....im loosing sleep over this.....but am relieved to know im not the only one suffering...
    I'm going to try Black Heart's suggestion, There were nine in the house today and one in
    my bed this morning, Needless to say I am terrified of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think I found one of these giant house spiders =D. Not normally an arachnaphobe but I heard something the other day when I was walking out of my room and turned to see a spider scuttering along the opposite wall, he was a big fella so I got a bit of a shock. Hadn't seen him in a few days but spotted him moving up the wall today and threw him out, he was pretty damn aggressive, think he had a nibble at me! No mark to show for it though.

The females can build their webs anywhere, unfortunately. Behind pictures on the wall, behind the tv, under furniture, in your attic, etc. You can't miss them, though, if you see one. The web looks like a kind of platform, and at one end there will be a funnel-like construction, which is where the female rests.

It's usually best to keep the males out, rather than go looking for any female. Even without the presence of a female, the males can still wander in looking for them.

It's another one of the male tegenarias. There's a thread ongoing:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056008702

It would seem that these spiders have not been affected by the cold winter, and if my memory of recent weather serves me, the nice spring and summer has ensured that a large number have made it to adulthood. Add that to what could be a pleasant autumn and you will see a lot of these.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

*runs away*

Fook that. Already have a spider problem here at home, theyre everywhere, there is 9 that I can see on my ceiling as we speak...

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Thanks BlackHeart, I didn't see that.

Mods feel free to merge if you like. Thx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ah come on now, he's only small ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

*Skin crawls* :eek:

johngalway wrote: »

I hope not literally cause either this is a coincidence or they're spreading, but while sitting on my bed something caught the corner of my eye and i saw one of these walking across the clothes on the chair in my room, i nearly jumped :(.... i don't kill insects, but i really had to kill him as i couldnt risk him getting away, my heart was pounding.

I know the lad who posted this thread and the first i saw one of these things was when he showed me the pics last night.... one day later and theres one in my room.... please let it be long shot :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

the name of this harmless spider is Tegenaria Gigantea harmless, these are probably Irelands largest spiders and they move very fast. Their common name is Giant House Spider, but they are more often found outside in sheds or garages etc.handy to have one of these in the house as they keep the nasty mites/flys down they also like to hang out just inside the bath over flow..so ladies next time your having a bath watch out for them eyes lol :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

The title of this thread drew me in here.
    johngalway wrote: »

I actually cringed looking at the OP pictures. It truly is true that if you want to see something, you really will. I have 1 to help out the window now.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

i found what is definetly a Tegenaria duellica the other day, its not just there size thats scary but the size of their fangs/hands are bigger than most smaller spiders legs. and also there speed.

this pic isn't by me but its definitely the same type of spider.

sphouse4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

ohh and to back up my claim of how fast it was, i found this on wiki:

"With speeds clocked at 1.73 ft/s (0.53 m/s), the giant house spider held the Guinness Book of World Records for top spider speed until 1987 when it was displaced by sun spiders (solfugids) although the latter are not true spiders as they belong to a different order."

so these giant house spiders are in fact known to be the fastest on earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Thanks BlackHeart, I didn't see that.

Mods feel free to merge if you like. Thx.
    Merged :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 suenextdoor

Can anyone tell me what this beast of a spider is.
    I was getting a glass of water the pther night and I spotted him/her on the floor.
    After the photo I tried to scoop him/her up to expel him/her from the room and up he/she leapt about 2"s into the air and scampered across the floor.
    I finally cornered him/her and gently placed him/her outside for a life of freedom.
    Are they poisness?
    Do they bite?
    What is the name of it and are they native to Ireland?
    Is it the biggest spider in Ireland?
    I found one in my bathroom the other night- very same as your one, and ive seen 3 since downstairs in my house, not as big as that one but huge all the same- Do you know if an electronic spider repellent would work? The ones i've seen advertised are ultrasonic with an electronic vibration thing too, i have a plug in rodent repellent ultrasonic and it gives off vibrations through the wiring in the house too is this the same thing? if it is its not keeping these bad boys at bay..... please help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 suenextdoor

I hope not literally cause either this is a coincidence or they're spreading, but while sitting on my bed something caught the corner of my eye and i saw one of these walking across the clothes on the chair in my room, i nearly jumped :(.... i don't kill insects, but i really had to kill him as i couldnt risk him getting away, my heart was pounding.

I know the lad who posted this thread and the first i saw one of these things was when he showed me the pics last night.... one day later and theres one in my room.... please let it be long shot :(
    Oh My God, now i'm starting to panic, is there an infestation or something? Last night i saw one in my kitchen and i ran upstairs to bed, and out of the corner of my eye i saw one running across the bedroom floor, like that i couldn't let him get away so i'm afraid i had to kill him too and tonight i saw another one running down my curtains in the sitting room..... huge very very fast spiders, my house is a new build ( 4 years old) and very warm.... what do you do to get rid of them ALL.... ?????????????

Advertisement