Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary Hedge Options

Options
  • 23-08-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi,

What are the options in Ireland for a boundary hedge?

i.e. what species/names of hedge. Pros & Cons of each would be great also.

Basically, I want to see what the options are and then take a look at them and see which ones I like and then choose one.

Thanks,

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rob555mark

I have Laurel hedging which I'm very happy with, fast growing, evergreen and you can shape it into a pretty decent large box shape hedge. I also have a row of Alnus Cordata (Italian alder I think?) which will give a good high screen from peeping neighbours.

Another option would be Copper beech, can also be turned into a lovely box hedge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

How big is your garden. Urban or rural. Windbreak or decorative. By the sea or inland. How tall do you want it to grow?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Looks like I left out a bit of detail alright!!

1. Boundary of a 0.55 acre site so 60m x 30m x 60m x 30m
    2. Rural Area.
    3. Privacy, decorative then windbreak in that order. Not a very exposed site..
    4. Inland. (Co. Limerick)
    5. Height: I suppose somewhere around the 5 to 6 feet mark.

I was looking at Hornbeam but only because it was recommended to me...

Thanks,

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Mike2006 wrote: »
    Looks like I left out a bit of detail alright!!

1. Boundary of a 0.55 acre site so 60m x 30m x 60m x 30m
    2. Rural Area.
    3. Privacy, decorative then windbreak in that order. Not a very exposed site..
    4. Inland. (Co. Limerick)
    5. Height: I suppose somewhere around the 5 to 6 feet mark.

I was looking at Hornbeam but only because it was recommended to me...

Thanks,

Mike.

Hornbeam is a good cheaper alternative to Beech if you have Wet/Heavy/shadey site I would say and makes good Growth and although keeps it's (Brown Dead) leaves for most of winter is still Deciduous.

Maybe an Evergreen hedge

Escallonia rapid growth recovers from heavy pruning Mixture of flower colours

Griselinia littoralis, Good Growth Glossy green or varigated foliage Recovers well from heavy pruning

Ilex aquifolium, Holly. Prickly But slow growing native May Produce Berries.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Noooo, not Grisalinia, its up there with Leylandii. Well in fairness its not, but while its very popular I don't like the look of it. Still its not my hedge, so...

Whichever one you choose, give it the best chance you can. Make sure there is some decent topsoil or you will be waiting for ever for them to grow. Dig in some well rotted manure or compost or fertilizer. Put down a weed-proof membrane to give the bushes a chance. It will be cheaper and easier in the long run.

In a rural area a mixed native hedge looks very good. Put in a mixture of hawthorn, holly, blackthorn - a few of each, don't put them in singly, with the occasional wild cherry, crab apple, rowan. If you can encourage the occasional wild honeysuckle and wild rose, so much the better. This is not the best solution if you want a neatly manicured hedge, but its nice in the countryside and will encourage birds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

looksee wrote: »
    In a rural area a mixed native hedge looks very good. Put in a mixture of hawthorn, holly, blackthorn - a few of each, don't put them in singly, with the occasional wild cherry, crab apple, rowan. If you can encourage the occasional wild honeysuckle and wild rose, so much the better. This is not the best solution if you want a neatly manicured hedge, but its nice in the countryside and will encourage birds.

+1:)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

looksee wrote: »
    Noooo, not Grisalinia, its up there with Leylandii. Well in fairness its not, but while its very popular I don't like the look of it. Still its not my hedge, so...

Whichever one you choose, give it the best chance you can. Make sure there is some decent topsoil or you will be waiting for ever for them to grow. Dig in some well rotted manure or compost or fertilizer. Put down a weed-proof membrane to give the bushes a chance. It will be cheaper and easier in the long run.

Ok, have to agree with you 'looksee' Grisalinia is a bit too popular but to place it along side leylandii that is too much :-)

And a Native hedge is way better for a rural site if the OP is not looking for a 'manicured hedge' The site will blend in better into the environment and Not stick out like FAR too many 'one off's' !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I have both Griselinia and Hornbeam hedges and find them both excellent. Though Hornbeam retains it's dead leaves throughout winter you might find that a few plants lose theirs, at least in the early years anyway ! I bought 60 4' bare root Hornbeam hedge plants from Future forests a few years ago - top notch plants and sound people to deal with !

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mike2006

Folks,

Thanks for all the replies. I will look at each one in detail and decide..

I kind of like the idea of mixing them a bit by putting a few between the main hedge.

Mike.

Advertisement