Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Op Care

Options
  • 23-08-2010 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

1st time dog owner here... Just wanted to find out from you guys what I should do.

I've booked my boxer Bailey (female) in for spaying this Wednesday. As well as being extremely anxious about it I wanted to ask what I should do to prepare her bed for when she comes home on Thursday.
    She usually sleeps in her kennel out in the garage but I'm going to set up a little bed for her in the house.
    My question is what/how do I prepare for her homecoming to make her as comfortable as possible? I've got one of those pet 'hot-water bottle' things and we've plenty blankies and stuff for her.

I'm just so nervous about it!! :-/ Any help would be appreciated.
    ~Aoife~

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Aw OP no need to be nervous, it really is a very routine operation and complications are not that common. She'll be a bit out of sorts for a day or 2, generally just feeling sorry for herself.

The vet will advise you to keep her stitches dry and not let her lick or bite them to let the surgical site heal correctly and prevent infection. You may be given a collar for her to wear if that happens. Other than that try and minimise jumping up on things and/or over exerting herself for the first few days. If after 2 days shes not eating or still not herself contact your vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

What Anniehoo said and just leave plenty of water for her and a small meal when she comes round, something light like scrambled egg or chicken and rice. Keep her quiet and warm when you bring her home.

Only take her out to the toilet on a lead. Also have a look at the stitches before you leave the vets and if you notice any change or any redness then contact the vet. If you can't keep an eye on her then make sure she's wearing her Elizabethan collar. She won't like it but it's better than her getting at the stitches.

Good luck with it, she'll be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Thanks guys!
    It's guna break my heart leavin her in :( I'll be makin sure her bed is really cosy and warm. She'll be spoiled rotten lol

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

All the advice is good above.

Obviously when you're taking her out for a walk, avoid letting her into places where she's likely to end up filthy/soaked and getting the wound infected, such as long grass or rivers. The risk is only slight, but for the sake of keeping her on a tighter leash for a week it's worth it.

If you collect her the same day as the operation, she will be very groggy for 12-24 hours and will sleep most of the time. If she stays overnight in the vet's, then she'll probably be livelier when you pick her up, but she will be out of sorts and a little lethargic for a day or two.

Don't be nervous, it's one of the most common operations performed on dogs and so is very routine. Most vets will have performed the procedure hundreds of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Thanks Seamus,
    The vet I'm taking her to is one of the best around...My friend brought her Chiuahuah in recently for the same op and she's fine so I'm sure my big strong boxer will be fine too!
    she's like a child to me so i'm extra worried as I'm sure you've all felt before aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi Aoife. I am currently nursing my basset hound cross (male) Max, who was neutered on Friday last. He's a resuce dog and I only had him a week before the op and he was settling in well with my terrier cross Millie. Naturally I was worried that getting him operated on would disrupt him settling but he's been just fine! He felt very sorry for himself on Friday night but on Saturday he was back to himself and has not looked back since - thank God.
    I know it's a much simpler procedure for males but the operation experience and trip to the vet is the same and they can both be sore and groggy afterwards. Make sure to get some painkillers from the vet before you bring her home - I got a four day supply (one a day)
    He is unhappily wearing his Elizabethan collar at the moment - he really does not like it - but I'm persisting with it, to his disgust! Don't really know how long to leave it on him though - hopefully not for the full ten days until the stitches come out???
    Best of lock to you and your boxer with the op - you'll both be just fine:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My little Jack had her operation this time last year and I have to admit to having a teary moment after I left her at the vet (she's my baby and so tiny it just felt awful)
    When I collected her that evening she was feeling so sorry for herself that the nurse had to carry her out to me and we had to carry her to the car, thankfully she weighs less than 6kg so not a hardship really. She got loads of TLC when she got home. Thankfully she didn't have to wear a collar as she had internal stitches so we were spared that. It probably took 2 weeks before she was 100% again (I reckon she milked it for a while :D) but now you can't even see the scar.

With my dog the vet recommended a bland diet for a short while after the op as she had a bit of a dodgy tummy, but that may just have been her as she suffers with tummy problems.

Good luck and don't feel ashamed of being worried, she is a family member after all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

Hi Aoife,
    I had my Retriever/Labrador cross(female) spayed about 2 months ago.
    She was spayed on the thursday, came home that evening but just pretty much lazed around/didnt really eat until the saturday when she was pretty much back to her normal self!
    Just with the collar....our dog managed to take hers off and then take out most of her stitches. If you have any duct tape try and re-enforce the the opening of the collar!

Advertisement