Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation in London

Options
  • 23-08-2010 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am moving to London in the next couple of weeks to live and work. I need to find rented accommodation before then.

I am not overly familiar with London but my work is in South London, just below the river.

Do any of you have any tips on how to start looking for a place to stay? I would ideally like to rent a one bedroom flat on my own but not if it is ridiculously expensive. Failing that, I would share with some people.

I am guessing my best bet would be to search for places via the web, arrange some views and fly over for a couple of days to do all the viewings at once.

Can anyone suggest a better way of doing this? Are there any companies that can arrange some viewings for me? It just seems like a minefield and I'm fining it hard to get started.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Walrus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Whatz the madda wiv yiz? Catz got ya tonguz?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 1fm

Hi OP,

I'm in a similar boat to yourself, moving to the Uxbridge area in NW London looking for a houseshare in mid September and so far been having no luck.

The sites I've been using are, easyroommate, spareroom.co.uk, and gumtree. I've contacted some of the local estate agents too without reply.

So far I've found anything suitable to go in a flash, despite been available to get the ferry and train to London at any time, while whats left is just not suitable.

One tip about gumtree, apparently there are plenty of scams going so thread carefully. One place that looked fine, when i put the e-mail address of the landlord, lets call him "Ben", into search on Facebook, it came up with another name for that email address, e.g. Adam...who had no profile pic or friends. Given that the room was a bit cheaper than similar rooms in the area, it just all seemed a bit suspect so I diden't chance travelling over to see it.

Like the OP, if anybody had any ideas of whats the best plan of action at this stage I'd love to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I'm going to fly over for 3 days and see what happens. Hopefully I'll have arranged some viewings before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

www.rightmove.co.uk is a good site and also has rooms to rent in houseshares on there too.

When I was moving over, we flew over for a few days and did all the viewings then. Its easy to arrange them by email.

Even 1 beds and studios are really expensive though so a houseshare might be your best bet.

Advertisement