Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing the locks

Options
  • 23-08-2010 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi!
    Just moved in to a new place and we are looking to change the locks on the bedroom doors. There aren't any keys but as we are living with strangers and we don't know who may be in the house we would like some privacy and security. Anyone know how to actually change a lock? Do you get someone to call to your house? How much does it cost usually? I'm sorry if I sound dumb but we don't have experience of this before! :o Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Plebs

fifomania wrote: »
    Hi!
    Just moved in to a new place and we are looking to change the locks on the bedroom doors. There aren't any keys but as we are living with strangers and we don't know who may be in the house we would like some privacy and security. Anyone know how to actually change a lock? Do you get someone to call to your house? How much does it cost usually? I'm sorry if I sound dumb but we don't have experience of this before! :o Thanks

It's actually straight-forward enough.

Get a screwdriver and take out the mechanism (usually slides out from the side). Bring it down to your local hardware store and they should have a replacement.

Watch out for the paintwork though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

first things first you will need the landlords permission.

you cant change locks even for internal doors without permission

D3PO wrote: »
    first things first you will need the landlords permission.

you cant change locks even for internal doors without permission

This is simply not true.

Plebs wrote: »
    This is simply not true.

erm yes it is. Point me to any single link that supports allowing a tennant modify a rental property in anyway without permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Maj Malfunction

You can't change the locks that's sure! You can't make any modifications to the property without the permission of the landlord, certainly not with a standard landlord and tenant lease.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

We can't get in touch with our landlord that's the problem! it's been weeks! Ok if it's not possible to change the locks without permission is it possible to put a small bar on the outside of the door with a padlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

We can't get in touch with our landlord that's the problem! it's been weeks! Ok if it's not possible to change the locks without permission is it possible to put a small bar on the outside of the door with a padlock?

All you need is a key, you can buy these off the rack in most hardware or key cutting shops. Take note of the lock type, basta, union etc and go in and get them.

He might let you buy the range and return the ones that dont fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

How come you can not make contact with the landlord.

Surely if there was an issue you have to have a contact with landlord or agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

You can't change the locks that's sure! You can't make any modifications to the property without the permission of the landlord, certainly not with a standard landlord and tenant lease.

while that may be technically true, no (sentient) landlord is going to be upset because a tenant has, out his own pocket, replaced a broken lock with a working one.

the key here is 'reasonableness' - no one is looking to paint the house purple, or knock down a dividing wall, or cut off the sewerage - merely to effect a low-cost, low impact repair/replacement that has no bearing on either the landords interests or the other tenants.

if the landlord makes himself uncontactable he does, de facto, lose some say over what happens - if the boiler exploded, the plumbing failed or the windows got broken, and the LL was completely uncontactable, the tenants would have little choice but to either appoint a contractor to effect emergency repairs, or to leave and end the tenancy there and then.

if your landlord either doesn't consider your reasonable concerns over security to be valid, or goes wild at you for making a repair that he'd not notice if he walked past it a hundred times, then i'd suggest finding another landlord.

OS119 wrote: »
    while that may be technically true, no (sentient) landlord is going to be upset because a tenant has, out his own pocket, replaced a broken lock with a working one.

the key here is 'reasonableness' - no one is looking to paint the house purple, or knock down a dividing wall, or cut off the sewerage - merely to effect a low-cost, low impact repair/replacement that has no bearing on either the landords interests or the other tenants.

if the landlord makes himself uncontactable he does, de facto, lose some say over what happens - if the boiler exploded, the plumbing failed or the windows got broken, and the LL was completely uncontactable, the tenants would have little choice but to either appoint a contractor to effect emergency repairs, or to leave and end the tenancy there and then.

if your landlord either doesn't consider your reasonable concerns over security to be valid, or goes wild at you for making a repair that he'd not notice if he walked past it a hundred times, then i'd suggest finding another landlord.

your assuming the landlord is reasonable however. too often thats not the case.

op id be concerned if i couldnt contact my landlord however what are you supposed to do if a serious issue arises ?

• Advertisement

erm yes it is. Point me to any single link that supports allowing a tennant modify a rental property in anyway without permission.

Is changing the lamp shade to suit your needs a modification? Changing a lock mechanism to suit your needs is hardly a modification, especially when you plan to pop the original lock back in at the end of the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Plebs wrote: »
    This is simply not true.
    O RLY?

125309.png
    OS119 wrote: »

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2004/en/act/pub/0027/sec0016.html#partii-chapii-sec16
    Obligations of tenants.

16.—In addition to the obligations arising by or under any other enactment, a tenant of a dwelling shall—

(l) not alter or improve the dwelling without the written consent of the landlord which consent the landlord—
    (i) in case the alteration or improvement consists only of repairing, painting and decorating, or any of those things, may not unreasonably withhold,
    (ii) in any other case, may, in his or her discretion, withhold,

17.—(1) In section 16 —

“alter or improve”, in relation to a dwelling, includes—
    (a) alter a locking system on a door giving entry to the dwelling, and
    (b) make an addition to, or alteration of, a building or structure (including any building or structure subsidiary or ancillary to the dwelling),

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭jenny jinks

A bedroom is not a dwelling so changing an internal lock is not caught by the act. The simplest thing to do is take out the lock. 4 screws , takes 5 mins. Bring it to a locksmiths and they will give you keys. If they cannot give you keys they will give you a lock of the same size with keys. When you are leaving the property it is a simple matter to put back the old lock.

Hi, ok so we got in touch with our landlord and we can change our locks if we want! Where in Dublin does locks and keys?? Thanks for all the advice btw!

What part of Dublin are you in? You can get internal door locks in any of the bigger hardware DIY type stores. Evene small hardware shops often have them as well as locksmiths. Bring in your locks. You may be able to get keys or else a lock of the same dimensions.

A bedroom is not a dwelling so changing an internal lock is not caught by the act. The simplest thing to do is take out the lock. 4 screws , takes 5 mins. Bring it to a locksmiths and they will give you keys. If they cannot give you keys they will give you a lock of the same size with keys. When you are leaving the property it is a simple matter to put back the old lock.

thats one perspective of it. The other being that if your renting individual rooms then the bedroom is a dwelling.

either way to advise somebody to do something that could be used rightly or wrongly (i suggest wrongly) to perhaps withold some or all of a persons deposit when they leave their rental is not a good idea.

Too many landlords just looking for a reason to holdback on returning deposits to give any potential reasons.

anyway back on point. Glad you got in touch OP. Any hardware shop like a woodies or b&q will have what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hi, ok so we got in touch with our landlord and we can change our locks if we want! Where in Dublin does locks and keys?? Thanks for all the advice btw!

Woodies or B an Q.

Easy! and its only a few screws so give it a go.

Thanks again so much for help everyone, it sounds like a simple thing to do but not for the first time doing it! I'll know better next time! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Pretty much any hardware shop will have the badic locks use on bedroom doors.

Open door. Unscrew lock. Go to hardware shop. buy matching lock. Fit lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Gonzales

Hi!

Fifo,
    While all the info about changing the lock & permissions is probably correct, I would totally disregard it all & get myself down to the local hardware store with the current lock in hand & either buy a new one & install it or get a key that'll work in it & place it back in the door. Problem solved no big hoo haa & you can move on.

Every transaction in life need not be complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

thats one perspective of it. The other being that if your renting individual rooms then the bedroom is a dwelling.

The PRTB has decided that a rented bedroom is not a dwelling and a tenant who rents a bedroom and shares other facilities such as kitchen is not the tenant of a dwelling. The PRTB has decided that the Residential tenancies Act has no application in such a case.

Jo King wrote: »
    The PRTB has decided that a rented bedroom is not a dwelling and a tenant who rents a bedroom and shares other facilities such as kitchen is not the tenant of a dwelling. The PRTB has decided that the Residential tenancies Act has no application in such a case.

correct however thats the PRTB's interpretation in regards to how they handle their own dispute process and what way to interpret the RTA. The PRTB's adjudication of what consists and is covered by the act doesnt ensure the courts have the same interpretation.

For what its worth I dont believe a bedroom to be a dwelling and am playing devils advocate here. My point is there are underhand landlords out there that will push the boundaries and could use the changing of the locks as a reason to withold some or all of a deposit.

its moot here as the OP has permission but I just am pointing out that if I were renting I wouldnt be changing internal locks without written consent, just as I would look for written consent if I were looking to put a hook in the wall for a picture etc. No reason to second guess on something when it can easily be agreed on in writing.

correct however thats the PRTB's interpretation in regards to how they handle their own dispute process and what way to interpret the RTA. The PRTB's adjudication of what consists and is covered by the act doesnt ensure the courts have the same interpretation.

When the PRTB say that the act does not apply they have to serve a notice on each side who can then make submissions. The decision of the PRTB can be appealed to the Circuit Court. The PRTB will have to accept a dwelling if the court says it is. There is thus consistency between the Courts and the PRTB.
    With regard to changing the locks, they can weasily be changed back before moving out. The landlord will need never know. Further, the chances of a landlord checking every internal door and checking that the key numbers are the same as when he handed over the premises are astronomical.

When the PRTB say that the act does not apply they have to serve a notice on each side who can then make submissions. The decision of the PRTB can be appealed to the Circuit Court. The PRTB will have to accept a dwelling if the court says it is. There is thus consistency between the Courts and the PRTB.
    With regard to changing the locks, they can weasily be changed back before moving out. The landlord will need never know. Further, the chances of a landlord checking every internal door and checking that the key numbers are the same as when he handed over the premises are astronomical.

like I said Im playing the devils advocate. Presumptions are the mother of all screw ups. Much easier (as the OP did) to just contact the LL say Im planning on doing X is it ok ? and then get it in writing.

Why leave anything to chance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Mary Hairy

like I said Im playing the devils advocate. Presumptions are the mother of all screw ups. Much easier (as the OP did) to just contact the LL say Im planning on doing X is it ok ? and then get it in writing.

Why leave anything to chance ?

You could be creating greater problems. The landlord knows you have changed the locks. He will check the doors at handback time and claim that they were damaged when the locks were changed and /or he needs to be compensated for the costs of putting the locks back the way they were before the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lisie247

your assuming the landlord is reasonable however. too often thats not the case.

op id be concerned if i couldnt contact my landlord however what are you supposed to do if a serious issue arises ?

Very well said... In this day and age-a landlord should be happy that they even have tennents.

Just remember that the tennent has more rights than the landlord! My parents had terrible trouble with their tennent- she wouldn't pay rent and there was nothing they could do for months and ended up losing thousands!! So frankly- a change of locks is nothing to worry about.

The landlord isn't going to kick you out for changing them- he/she prob wont even notice!

Advertisement