Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fuji hybrid bike stolen

• 23-08-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

A Fuji Absolute 2.0 2009 hybrid bicycle with dark navy blue aluminum frame and black carbon fork was stolen from me last Tuesday (17/08/10) from the DCU campus. It was secured with a Kryptonite U-lock and a cable lock at the front wheel. I bought it abroad last year after my previous bike was nicked. This bike is pretty unique for Dublin as it wasn’t available in Ireland AFAIK. So if you see one of these, please PM me ASAP as there’s quite a good chance this is the one! Any help appreciated!

absol2800x600.jpg

imag0007800x600.jpg

imag0008800x600.jpg

These pics were taken right after I bought the bike. I've changed/added some components over time, but the bike still looks almost the same.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Slightly Bunkers

That sucks! We bought my sister a Giant Hybrid for her 40th in June and she had it nicked last week! Hope it turns up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Nice looking bike, sorry to hear it was nicked!
    The amount of stolen bike threads on this site is unreal.

Out of interest, did you lock the bike to a bike rack/pole with the U-lock? Did they cut through it or how did they break it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Haleakala

Sorry to hear that, bummer. Hopefully the fact it is somewhat unusual will aid recovery.

It seems that area is a bit of a hotspot for such activity as well.

Curious OP, what kind of Krypto U-Lock were you using?

Will keep an eye out

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sharwean

The Kryptolok was of Series 2 type (mid range I'd say) and to my dismay I found it simply opened :(

krypt999386klstd07m.jpg

The bike was locked to a thick steel metal terrace fence/barrier. I found some footprints on the other side of the fence, were the key hole was. So I imagine that someone had to stand on a narrow footpath strip with a 5m fall behind him, and nobody found it to be unusual in the middle of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭wile1000

I too am sorry to hear about this, OP. I've had my pride and joy for just two months and the number of people I've heard about knicked bikes sickens me. Even from my apartment complex gated carpark which makes me nervous.

I too have a U-lock, probably one of the most expensive on the market, so if even these don't stop these fe***rs then I'm sickened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

sharwean wrote: »
    to my dismay I found it simply opened

Did you not lock it properly or did they open it? How old is the lock?
    Kryptonite had some previous issues with older locks that were found could be easily opened with a BIC pen. I think they recalled a huge amount of their locks.

It was bought along with the bike a year ago. I can't even imagine how it could be locked improperly :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Where are the stolen bikes being sold/bought?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

do krptonite not offer cover for your bike if its stolen and the lock is left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Sorry to hear about the bike, very curious about the lock though and it may be something worth reporting to the shop you bought it from and kryptonite directly.

I know the order of security goes yellow > orange > grey, but it is still a decent lock and would require some force to remove. Was there any damage to the lock? It would be highly improbable that a lock could be forcibly opened without any damage to the mechanism. Have you tried seeing if it still works? Was it open or just lying on the ground? What part of the bike was it locked to?

It could be possible that the shackle was not fully engaged and when you turned the key it did not lock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

sharwean wrote: »
    The Kryptolok was of Series 2 type (mid range I'd say) and to my dismay I found it simply opened

Does it use a cylinder key or flat key?

The (very) old type with cylinder keys can be opened with a bic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lumen wrote: »
    Does it use a cylinder key or flat key?

The (very) old type with cylinder keys can be opened with a bic.

Images look like a flat key. Seeing as it's a new lock and kryptonite issued a recall that cost them so much money, I can't see there being any of these left in circulation.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Was there any damage to the lock?
    The U-lock seems to be intact. By looking at it now I've just noticed some signs of someone trying to cut and lever it, but these could also be signs of some previously failed theft attempts. The mechanism itself is a bit dirty and rusty but works ok. I found it hanging where it was usualy locked. I used to leave the U-lock at that spot overnight, as back at home I kept my bike indoors and I didn't need to lock it there. Could it be that somone used this opportunity to learn how to pick this lock?
    DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    It could be possible that the shackle was not fully engaged and when you turned the key it did not lock.

That seems very unlikely but on the other hand the theft seemed even more so ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The Kryptolok has, as pointed out above, only a medium security ranking. It's easier both to pick and to crack open using a mini-jack than the orange or yellow Kryptonite locks.

Mind you, it not actually all that easy to pick, as far as I know. I'm surprised to hear that it wasn't cracked open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

That's worrying, it's the same lock i've got. Mind you, your bike is a far more attractive prospect than mine. I've noticed a lot of these locks around recently (the most affordable reasonably high end kryptonite) so prehaps the theives are used to them? Check gumtree for anything that even remotely sounds like your bike, even if there is no picture it's worth looking into.

Advertisement