Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vol au vents

Options
  • 23-08-2010 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hello,

Having a wedding anniversary party next week for the parents in-law and looking for small (snack size) vol au vents but can't seem to find them anywhere!

I remember buying these a year or two ago for another party we had but can only find larger (dinner size) vol au vents now, maybe they've stopped selling these for some reason. Basically the one's I'm looking for are around 2 inches (60mm) or so in size... but the only ones I can find are the larger ones.

If anyone has an idea of where you can get these I would love to know! If it comes to it I suppose I could attempt making them but don't fancy whipping up 100 plus of these! :)

If anyone has any recipes I would love to hear them too. I generally go for the old chicken and mushroom variety... not terribly imaginative, but yummy nonetheless! ;)

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭emaleth

This might not be in any way helpful, but I've always gotten them in Sainsburys.

I like them with chopped smoked salmon, creme fraiche, dill, black pepper and lemon juice. Crab, lime juice and chopped chili is also nice. They're both cold, though. If you wanted a hot filling that's not the chicken variety (very nice though that is) you could try a beef in red wine sauce. Bacon and leek in a cheese sauce is lovely as well, I do it as a pasta sauce with Parmesan but it would do well for vol-au-vents providing you made the cheese sauce with a roux. A sneaky quick one would be to buy some red onion marmalade/relish, heat it, put a teaspoon in each pastry case and top with a little piece of Brie. The Brie should go nicely melty on the warm relish. Of course you could also do your own onions, if you had the time. Smoked haddock in a white wine sauce would be nice as well (think chowder in a miniature ready-made pastry bowl).

I've used the little cases to make mini-apple pies as well, and they worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

AFAIK I've seen prefilled ones on aldi that you just heat in the oven.
    Think they're in packs of 30 or so with four different flavours.

Just roll pastry do 4 different sizes so you could try a few dunnes/tesco till you find the small ones.

I'm based in Cork if you want me to keep an eye out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

emaleth wrote: »
    This might not be in any way helpful, but I've always gotten them in Sainsburys.

I like them with chopped smoked salmon, creme fraiche, dill, black pepper and lemon juice. Crab, lime juice and chopped chili is also nice. They're both cold, though. If you wanted a hot filling that's not the chicken variety (very nice though that is) you could try a beef in red wine sauce. Bacon and leek in a cheese sauce is lovely as well, I do it as a pasta sauce with Parmesan but it would do well for vol-au-vents providing you made the cheese sauce with a roux. A sneaky quick one would be to buy some red onion marmalade/relish, heat it, put a teaspoon in each pastry case and top with a little piece of Brie. The Brie should go nicely melty on the warm relish. Of course you could also do your own onions, if you had the time. Smoked haddock in a white wine sauce would be nice as well (think chowder in a miniature ready-made pastry bowl).

I've used the little cases to make mini-apple pies as well, and they worked well.

wow those all sound delicious! thanks for the ideas - might try that smoked salmon one at the weekend, sounds amazing!

unfortunately im not near any sainsburys, but hopefully they'll turn up somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girlyhappyface

Dunnes sell packs with 9 or 12 in a box (from the freezer), small ones with ham and gruyerre, mushroom and another one I can't remember! All in the one box though! They're nice enough, and cheap too :)

Advertisement