Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend decent phone

Options
  • 23-08-2010 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Hi!
    Can anyone recommend an affordable reliable phone for under €150 please? Every phone I get lasts about one year and then starts shutting down randomly or being difficult to use. I don't care about camera or video phone but I'd like something reliable and that's Nokia or Samsung.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭t0mm13b

There's a golden rule when it comes to handsets - like as you've described - "then starts shutting down randomly or being difficult to use" - always keep your phone's firmware software up-to-date which would have those fixes in place... similar principle to Windows connecting up to Microsoft's servers for fixes and updates in order to keep Windows secure and stable.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,464 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Why should you have to upgrade the firmware in a phone just to keep the basic functions working? You don't with a TV or fridge, why should you have to with a mobile phone?

The question is debatable and subjective/argumentative - the software behind the handset, has flash ram to enable it to be updated... put it another way...

ever see a fridge connected to the internet? let alone a fridge crashing... :P
    The answer is no - why? It wasnt designed like that to be carried around in your pocket... :P

The point I am making is the consumer's device which has plenty of connectivity all over the place is the reason why you should update the software... Nokia, Siemens, Samsung, Sony Ericcson you name it, they will all advise you the same thing - keep it updated... Same goes for Windows... patches, hotfixes.... 'nuff said... :) Keep the faith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Prabhu Deva

t0mm13b wrote: »
    ever see a fridge connected to the internet? let alone a fridge crashing... :P
    The answer is no - why? It wasnt designed like that to be carried around in your pocket... :P

I host a few sites off a fridge running linux. I can also see/set the temperature and view a log of how many times the door has been opened through SSH

• Advertisement

I host a few sites off a fridge running linux. I can also see/set the temperature and view a log of how many times the door has been opened through SSH

Yeah yeah.... linky or it didn't happen? :p :P

P.S: Do the fridges serve any functional purpose whatsoever?? ffs what use is it? or Written a few bash scripts to check if food has expired or out of date???? Or does it cool Linux down... c'mon I'm waiting for yer answer.... :P

Advertisement