Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs v Young Boys

Options
  • 23-08-2010 1:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭

Dare I say probably the most important day in the clubs history for the last long time.

I am very apprehensive about this just because we are Spurs.
    Realistically we should expect to beat them comfortably but football doesnt work like that.

I am going to go for a 3-1 win on the night (being positive).

Heading over on Wed morn and cant wait to hear the CL music played at the lane. Sure the atmosphere will be electric.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm incredibly nervous about this one. I think the key is a steady 10 - 15 minutes and a goal straigh after that. We need to get an early goal and I reckon if we can get 2 that we'll be fine. We absolutely must not concede first though, or we'll be in trouble. Plus, we have a lengthy injury list.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Cant Wait. A great atmosphere no doubt, and hopefully a night to remember for all those lucky enough to be there. I think we will go positive with a 442, assuming there is a fit partner for Crouch. I think he could cause them major problems in the air if the supply is good enough.
    I think we should go for it from the whistle and be really positive. Get at them out wide and try get an early goal. If we do, I really think we will beat them 3 or 4.

Look what they did to us over there, early goal and it's a completely different game. With King fit, and dawson beside him, we should be keeping a clean sheet, and if we do, I can see no other outcome but our beloved being in the draw for the group stages.

BELIEVE
    COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I think we will win this one comfortably tbh.

They had their chance last week and generally you don't get two chances like that, even if it had been 3-1 I still think we would do it.

SpurSi is right, first goal will simply win this match. If it's us I'd expect us to go on and win by 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

i think we cud hit them for 5 -6 to be honest.

---gomes

corluka dawson king ekotto

lennon hudd palacious bale

defoe crouch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Hit them straight out of the traps ala City @ WHL, score a couple then settle back and retain possession.

Job's Oxo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

King and Dawson or King and Gallas? Regardless I reckon this match will be a lot tougher than people are making it out to be. Altho we were great last season when the pressure was on (against Chelsea and Arsenal), going for a 2-1 win with the YB's goal coming towards the end of the match.
    COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

THFC wrote: »
    King and Dawson or King and Gallas? Regardless I reckon this match will be a lot tougher than people are making it out to be. Altho we were great last season when the pressure was on (against Chelsea and Arsenal), going for a 2-1 win with the YB's goal coming towards the end of the match.
    COYS

surely gallas cant play not being regestered for the first leg? can he?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

I think we should get straight at them from the start whistle.

If we get the early goal, it will transfer the pressure to Young Boys and make them come out and play rather than sit back defensively and play on the break.

I expect JD, Robbie, Ledley and Pav to all be back for this one. I predict that Harry will start with JD and Pav with Robbie and Crouchy on the bench.

Atmosphere will be electric at the Lane for this one. For a change I've got a good feeling that we'll get through this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

RichMc70 wrote: »
    I think we should get straight at them from the start whistle.

If we get the early goal, it will transfer the pressure to Young Boys and make them come out and play rather than sit back defensively and play on the break.

I expect JD, Robbie, Ledley and Pav to all be back for this one. I predict that Harry will start with JD and Pav with Robbie and Crouchy on the bench.

Atmosphere will be electric at the Lane for this one. For a change I've got a good feeling that we'll get through this one.

heading over to this one and agree we'll have to get at them early. an early goal or two will open the floodgates but if they frutrate us early one if could be a long night!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

What's the story with JD. I thought that he was going to be out for months (even saw 'up to 7 months' mentioned). Hopefully the guys here are right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 crowsnestspur

We will be O.K. I think we will concead after looking at the Stoke game but we will out score them. You can't under estimate the effect of the plastic pitch last week. Harry knows how to deliver and I think he will start Crouch and Pav.
    COYS:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭daveman16

This will be tough, Young boys are still ahead don't forget. We have to go out and win, that means attack. The are a useful counter attacking side as they showed in the second half of the first leg. this will suit them being already ahead. They can play their game i.e. wait for the counter attack.

not wishing to quote Rafa, but that is fact!

Spurs 90min form the really BIG TIME. C.O.Y.S!
    Squeeze Bum Time! :eek:

keane=cock wrote: »
    surely gallas cant play not being regestered for the first leg? can he?

gallas wont be fit for two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Keane,pav,gio and defoe all back for this one.

Keane,pav,gio and defoe all back for this one.

Is that confirmed? I want to see Lennon start instead of Gio this time, with Pav and Defoe up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

From the site
    Luka Modric is out of tomorrow night's Champions League play-off, second leg against Young Boys at White Hart Lane.
    The Croatian playmaker was forced out of last week's first leg with a groin problem, missed Saturday's win at Stoke and didn't train this morning (Tuesday, August 24).
    However, Harry Redknapp reported better news on the other four players injured in Bern.
    Giovani, Jermain Defoe, Robbie Keane and Roman Pavlyuchenko all trained this morning.
    Harry said: "Luka Modric is not fit, but the other lads came out and joined in training, so hopefully they'll be okay. We'll wait to see if they have any reaction.
    "Luka's a top player, a fantastic player, but we've had to play without him before.
    "We had a long spell last season when he was out and we coped okay. We were without him at Stoke on Saturday as well and we were outstanding. It was a great to go and win there."
    Alan Hutton, Jonathan Woodgate, Jamie O'Hara and David Bentley remain sidelined.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Sorry to be on a downer but I'm sticking with the same prediction i made aftern that joke of a preformance in the first leg.

Spurs need a one-nil win to proceed right? Sounds simple.
    We'll get that one goal lead - (probably early in the game).We'll hold that lead for 70-80 mins and then YB will score at the end with no time for us to recover. I expect the YB goal to be self inflicted.. an o.g, a stupid penalty, a clumsey foul on the edge of the box etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Think we will win this one comfortably.

Would love to see

Gomez
    Chorluka - King - Dawson - BAE
    Lennon - Palacios - Huddlestone - Bale
    Keane
    Defoe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

daveman16 wrote: »
    This will be tough, Young boys are still ahead don't forget. We have to go out and win, that means attack. The are a useful counter attacking side as they showed in the second half of the first leg. this will suit them being already ahead. They can play their game i.e. wait for the counter attack.

not wishing to quote Rafa, but that is fact!

Spurs 90min form the really BIG TIME. C.O.Y.S!
    Squeeze Bum Time! :eek:
    Squeaky bum time! not squeeze!! Anyways, he's hardly gonna play Palacios and Huddlestone? Very defensive I'd think. What about Jenas? Always plays well in the big games and has a peach of a shot.

Plus Jenas played very well on Saturday. Having said that, how many times has he been selected and done nothing? With no Modric, I'd stick with Palaciois and keep Lennon and Bale on the wings causing havoc.

• Advertisement

yep. dont think jenas will play cos he will prob leave spurs b4 end of transfer window. hudd and pal i would say

THFC wrote: »
    What about Jenas? Always plays well in the big games

Are you for real mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭larry1

champsLogo.jpg

COYS

Love it Larry, COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭terrymccarthy05

Mullo76 wrote: »
    Dare I say probably the most important day in the clubs history for the last long time.

I am very apprehensive about this just because we are Spurs.
    Realistically we should expect to beat them comfortably but football doesnt work like that.

I am going to go for a 3-1 win on the night (being positive).

Heading over on Wed morn and cant wait to hear the CL music played at the lane. Sure the atmosphere will be electric.

for anybody not going to the match the place to be his tom mayes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Actually had a dream last night we won 4-0 an pav scored 2....
    seemed real so im confident =]

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

I would love to see Niko Kranjcar given a chance tonight. With Modric out injured, Niko could play in his position. Palacios had a bad game last week and with the fact we need to win this game I hope Harry starts with the more attack minded Niko. If ( and I pray that this happens) we are ahead and need to shore up the defence then Palacios can come on.

I hope Harry picks:

Gomes
    Corluka-Dawson-King-BAE
    Lennon-Hudd-Kranjcar-Bale
    Defoe-Pav

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

I hope Harry picks:

Gomes
    Corluka-Dawson-King-BAE
    Lennon-Hudd-Kranjcar-Bale
    Defoe-Pav

3-0, at least, if he listens to you!

(I'd nearly chance Walker instead of Corluka).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

ruiseal wrote: »
    3-0, at least, if he listens to you!

(I'd nearly chance Walker instead of Corluka).

Yea IMO Corluka hasn't looked great this season so far. Not sure if he just needs some games or what but I'd be happier with Walker or even Kaboul (who i thought looked good a rightback at the end of last season).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

tottenham-cswy.jpg

Advertisement