Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help Me!

• 23-08-2010 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi,

I got my CAO offers today by post and I haven't been offered any of my choices. :(

My leaving cert points in total is 445. But I got an 'E' in Math (Higher). The course I've applied to are mostly Nursing in DCU & UCD and Science Courses in DCU, UCD and Trinity. Points wise I'm eligible for all the courses. Was I not offered any choices since I got an E in math?

I'm also aware of having at least OD3 or HD3 in Math for the courses I've applied to.

What do I do now? Do I have to repeat my LC just cos I got an E in math? Or is there something I can do? I'm getting my Math paper re evaluated.

Any help in the right direction would be really appreciated.

Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Yeh could take a year out get a job and just repeat pass maths. You'd only need to start studying it around Christmas/Easter too... Could be a serious year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

You have to pass the 4 base subjects to get into NUI colleges. These are Maths, English, Irish and a foreign language. To say you failed maths means you do not quailify for any of your courses:( My advice, as the last poster said, do pass level, through your school, but dont repeat everything, and try again next year.

Congrats on 445 points btw, thats a great result over all, just a pity about the maths:(

• Registered Users Posts: 36 CornBlitz

So I guess I'll just have to repeat maths :(

It's depressing to think I can't get into college just cos of Math. I was juggling between dropping down to pass math or staying in higher. I ended up thinking its going to be alright and stayed in higher. Ah! I should have dropped down to pass math :(

Moaning is not gonna help me now. Thanks for all the help and clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    You have to pass the 4 base subjects to get into NUI colleges. These are Maths, English, Irish and a foreign language. To say you failed maths means you do not quailify for any of your courses:( My advice, as the last poster said, do pass level, through your school, but dont repeat everything, and try again next year.

Congrats on 445 points btw, thats a great result over all, just a pity about the maths:(

This is not true of every course in the NUI colleges. You have to check the specific course requirements for everything you apply for.

OP, I would advise you to talk to your career guidance counsellor, if possible. It seems you have two options: to repeat the entire Leaving Cert or to simply repeat Maths (which is required for nursing). There may be other routes into nursing, such as PLCs, that allow students who have not met the matriculation requirements in. I'd advise you to seek more knowledgeable help on the matter, though, to be certain! Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭bnt

UCD is a NUI college, and you don't need Maths for all programmes e.g. Arts doesn't require it. There's a list of UCD programmes and their requirements, with 2010 points, here.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I am in UCD nursing so I know the want you to have Maths. Unless otherwise stated NUI's want maths, especially for all scientific courses which is what the OP put down on her CAO.

OP I repeated my whole leaving cert, its not bad, so I can imagine only having to do Maths is far easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

You should have dropped to ordinary maths.
    if you can't get ANY college courses.
    either get a job or look into a PLC and repeat maths. re-doing every subject seems pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Brainy

You should check out the available places on the CAO and see if any of those courses do not require maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Maybe take the year to get a job, save for college, and retake maths. It's not the end of the world! And who knows, you could well go up on rechecks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The OP said she got an E. Now that could be anything between 25-39. Hopefully it's closer to 39.

OP - go and view your maths paper, preferably with your maths teacher. You will know soon enough if it's worth rechecking.

Some of the colleges (see details in link below) run a special maths exam for those that failed maths in the LC, where it is the only thing preventing them from going to college. Maybe you have one of those colleges somewhere on your CAO list. I don't know if any of the colleges you have listed run similar entrance exams.

http://www.independent.ie/education/going-to-college/not-the-end-of-the-maths-dream-2301939.html
    A disappointing Maths result in the Leaving Certificate need not spell the end of the college dream.

Every year, a significant number of school-leavers with good points don’t get the necessary grade in Maths for their chosen course.

The good news is that there is a second-chance, with a number of colleges running special exams over the next week or so, offering a lifeline to students.

The exams, based on the Leaving Cert syllabus, are mainly geared to those pursuing Level 8, honours engineering degrees, for which Higher Level Grade C3 is usually the minimum requirement. In some cases, college offer preparation courses. Fees may be charged.

Professor Gerry Lyons, Dean of Engineering and Informatics at NUI Galway, says the nature of engineering programmes is that they are focused on the development of analytical and problem solving skills, and thus require significant use of mathematics and applied mathematics.

He says that every year they see a number of promising students who perform poorly on the day of the Leaving Cert exam.

“Our Special Entrance Maths Examination provides these students with a second opportunity to demonstrate that they have reached the necessary standard in Maths”.

A degree in engineering is considered a cornerstone qualification for huge array of careers in the smart economy and NUI Galway has expanded its degree programmes to meet rising demand.

Special Maths exam arrangements include:

NUI Galway

Wednesday August 25 for students who achieve the CAO points for NUIG engineering courses but have not met the obligatory maths requirement, with an intensive, free preparatory course running from tomorrow, Thursday August 19 to Tuesday, 24 August. Those who took Ordinary Level Maths in the Leaving Cert may also apply.

NUI Maynooth

Friday August 27 for students who wish to undertake one of its degrees in engineering. Students still wishing to apply for one of the university's degrees in Engineering should apply using the Available Places/Vacant Places procedure via the CAO, if student has not already mentioned these courses on CAO application earlier in the year.

Dublin Institute of Technology

Monday August 23 in DIT Kevin Street, Dublin 8 for students who have not met the minimum Higher Level C3 Maths requirement for Level 8, honours engineering courses.

Students who have studied the Leaving Certificate Maths curriculum at higher level but did not sit the higher level paper are also invited to sit the exam.

University of Limerick

Thursday, August 26, for entry into all Faculty of Science and Engineering undergraduate programmes.

There will be two versions of the examination paper available depending on the minimum mathematics requirement of the undergraduate programme.

Galway Mayo Institute of Technology

The institute is holding an Enabling Maths Programme for students who did not obtain a pass in Maths. The institute is running special courses of three weeks duration (starting August 23, August 30 and September 6) at its Galway and Castlebar campuses for entry to all its programmes except engineering, nursing and medical science.

Examinations will take place on a continuous assessment basis, with a terminal examination in week three and the overall pass mark is 60pc. The course fee is €150.

Applicants must have completed the Leaving Certificate or Foundation maths programme and have not received a pass grade, or qualify as mature students.

Irish Independent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Posts deleted.

People, the OP asked a specific question.

Arguments about side-issues are not helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 CornBlitz

Thanks a lot for all the help :) I will check with the colleges and see what they offer. I have also given my paper for recheck. Will see how that goes. Hoping for the best :)

Advertisement