Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicklow gap on a compact double

• 23-08-2010 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Yesterday for the first time I cycled from blessington to Sally gap, across to laragh, over Wicklow gap, through valleymount and back to Blesso. What an amazing country we live in! I posted recently about using a 12-25 cassette on a compact double crank and I can say that as a novice cyclist (sprint tri training since around march) it was tough but doable. I did miss a lower gear, especially the last km to Sally, and my heart rate and breathing were at an alarming rate, but I got the job done and recovered pretty quick! I found Wicklow gap easier somehow, probably fuelled by a chorizo panini in laragh! So that was the '34/25' end of the groupset. So what of the top end, the 50/12? My top speed was 63.7 km/h descending WG, my cadence was pretty high and I was at my limit, then I tucked in and enjoyed the ride! In summary I needed that 25, any less and I was walking, the 12 seems plenty fast, and gear changes were silky smooth (ultegra 6700) - apart from the odd time when changing to a harder cog on the cassette the handlebar lever would just swing without engaging the gear. The bike, Ridley Orion, was spectacular, every pedal stroke turned into forward motion, and comfy even with a salty bib in the last few km!!

Everyone we met was chatty and friendly too, this is a great sport we share. See you around the gaps!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

You were on some beautiful stretches there. The road from the Wicklow Gap through Valleymount is stunning and the road from the Sally Gap towards Laragh past Glenmacnass Waterfall is fantastic as well (with the added fun of a great descent). Compact is the way to go for most of us alright but you deserve credit for having 12-25 on the back - mine is 12-27!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭Greyspoke

That would certainly have to rate as one of the most spectacular circuits in Wicklow. The final part of the climb from Kilbride up to the Sally Gap is pretty tough whatever gears you have. What did the total distance clock at? If you wanted to extend the distance and hilliness a little you could take the long way home around the back of the Blessington lakes - no big climbs but lots of little (and sometimes quite steep) ups and downs. Regarding the gears, you could get a greater spread if you wished - I've a SRAM 11-28 cassette on a bike here (Shimano compatible) but the wider the spread, the greater the gaps between gears and I've found that the larger gaps tend to be on the part of the cassette that I tend to use most which is a bit annoying.

Advertisement