Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No CAO offers!!! Help please!!

• 23-08-2010 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

My brother just completed his LC and was supposed to get his offer of college courses today but instead we got a letter saying that he was offered no courses even though he met all the requirements and had enough points! It looks like he forgot to put his exam number in when filling out his CAO form!!! What can we do???????? no answer from CAO!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Surely they should have contacted him before now??
    sna1 wrote: »
    My brother just completed his LC and was supposed to get his offer of college courses today but instead we got a letter saying that he was offered no courses even though he met all the requirements and had enough points! It looks like he forgot to put his exam number in when filling out his CAO form!!! What can we do???????? no answer from CAO!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Burswood

I'm almost sure that he won't be offered anything. CAO are fairly strict and forgetting to put your exam number on your application is, in my opinion, a very stupid mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

All the same thats a tad odd the CAO never contacted him.

When they see obvious errors on an application I thought they always sent you a notice to rectify it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

redout wrote: »
    All the same thats a tad odd the CAO never contacted him.

When they see obvious errors on an application I thought they always sent you a notice to rectify it.
    In a similar position myself. Had applied in 2008 with 430 points, reapplied this year with all the same certificates but they had no record of my final A-Level grades (didn't need a cert for them when I first applied, as I didn't have one). CAO said nothing to me about the fact I had seemingly applied for Level 8 courses without any proper qualifications and about 200 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

The CAO are bound to be ridiculously busy today; I guess all you can do is keep trying to contact them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 WhoDat

Burswood wrote: »
    I'm almost sure that he won't be offered anything. CAO are fairly strict and forgetting to put your exam number on your application is, in my opinion, a very stupid mistake.

That's a bit harsh. It can happen to anyone. Happened to my friend. She's absolutely devastated. I don't understand why the CAO does not contact people and tell them that they have made a mistake and to re-do the application. When no one is notified it leads to these terrible situations with people left with absolutely nothing over something that could have been rectified months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The CAO most likely would have contacted them over it, I received emails confirming details like new address, added courses and I got a letter today telling me they're not authorised to offer me a place in any of my courses. They would have contacted your brother over his exam number. But as said previously, it's a stupid mistake to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 WhoDat

This can be sorted! My friend got in contact with the CAO (after trying thousands of times) and they told her to send them an email with her exam number on it and they will match it up with her CAO application. It will then be made available to the colleges she has applied for and she'll probably get her place. She got well above the points requirements, so she's probably OK. This will probably be the same for your brother. Get in contact with the CAO, tell them his CAO number and exam number and sen them the email with the number in it. They will rectify the problem and give this information to the college he is applying to. If he doesn't get his place that way, he'll definitely get through to second rounds anyway.

Hope that helps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The CAO most likely would have contacted them over it, I received emails confirming details like new address, added courses and I got a letter today telling me they're not authorised to offer me a place in any of my courses. They would have contacted your brother over his exam number. But as said previously, it's a stupid mistake to make.
    Stupid mistake, yes. But when you are paying CAO good money you would expect something as basic and courteous as being helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

Yes it was a stupid mistake but surely a courtesy email/phonecall/letter to advise of the mistake at the time of submitting the application would not have gone a stray?

Hopefully it can be sorted but really the buck does stop with the OP's brother for failing to check the form correctly. Then again I am sure he realises that and has thought of nothing else since getting his letter this morning.. fingers crossed for a speedy resolution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Brainy

He would have received a statement in May and been told to check at that stage that everything was there. It is the responsibility of the applicant not the CAO to ensure that everything is there.

If he sends in the details now to CAO they will advise the Colleges to which he applied and he will be considered for Round 2. But it will very much depend on whether or not they have places on the courses. It will be the decision of the College not CAO.

Advertisement