Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undelivered Parcels in Ashbourne via an post...

Options
  • 23-08-2010 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

So just heard the post office in ashbourne is no longer holding onto undelivered packages and people have to go to the sorting office in Dunshaughlin to collect... which for most will be a royal pain in the hoop given as far as i remember the sorting office is only open from 9 -5.30 mon - friday and not open on a sat..

Guy in the post office told my sister that it was an 'an post' decision, an post/dunshaughlin sorting office seem to be saying it was the post master in ashbourne... so not quite sure what to make of it all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭clint_silver

decob wrote: »
    So just heard the post office in ashbourne is no longer holding onto undelivered packages and people have to go to the sorting office in Dunshaughlin to collect... which for most will be a royal pain in the hoop given as far as i remember the sorting office is only open from 9 -5.30 mon - friday and not open on a sat..

Guy in the post office told my sister that it was an 'an post' decision, an post/dunshaughlin sorting office seem to be saying it was the post master in ashbourne... so not quite sure what to make of it all

holy heart of god. I just found this yesterday myself when I got a missed delivery thingy in the door. rang customer services this morning 705600, got a nice girl who said there wasnt space in ashbourne any more but when I asked could I complain to someone I got the narkiest, most condascending "manager" Ive ever spoken to on the phone who explained it was an "an post" decision to save pennies or a "business" decision.
    "Sure everyones affected. did ya not know about it before? sure there were ads in the paper. sure it wont take you that long to go to dunshaughlin." and more Id rather not repeat as he irked me so much.

well sorry mate, it wont be me that goes, I cant get time off work to collect packages mon-fri . It'll be my wife and the babies wholl have an hour round trip drive. (I thought dunshaughlin is mon-fri 9-5 as well unless somethings changed)

I just cant understand this, the post office is still in ashbourne, anything not delivered just has to be brought back there as it always was.

Note to an post: while Im sure the customer services manager is very good at managing customer service staff, he is not very good at customer service. keep him off the phones. Its a rare thing Id come off the phone more annoyed at the way I was spoken to then the reason I rang up for.

anyway, ring the cust services above. voice opinion on this, ask how much work would it be to drop parcels back to ashbourne rathe then going back to dunshaughlin. Im taking this further.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

"Sure everyones affected. did ya not know about it before? sure there were ads in the paper. sure it wont take you that long to go to dunshaughlin." and more Id rather not repeat as he irked me so much.

love that attitude - don't they realise a large majority of people in ashbourne work 9 - 5 jobs in dublin, not everyone has a car, no public transport to dunsaughlin from ashbourne... and the list could go on and on and on
    well sorry mate, it wont be me that goes, I cant get time off work to collect packages mon-fri . It'll be my wife and the babies wholl have an hour round trip drive. (I thought dunshaughlin is mon-fri 9-5 as well unless somethings changed)

i heard it's now 9-5.30 to allow for people working get out there (ah thanks :p ) plus i've heard it will be open for a few hours this sat - lot of pi$$ed of people

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

Don't get me started on this crap, it's yet another thing taken from Ashbourne by organisations that don't understand Ashbourne.

Like the previous poster said, the majority of Ashbourne residents work in the Dublin area - we aren't here between 9am and 5.30pm, Monday to Friday. So it's hard enough to postpone whatever you had on that weekend to get to the post office in Ashbourne on Saturday morning.

But then making it MORE difficult by moving them to Dunshaughlin - a smaller town 13km from us - takes the biscuit. And don't be under any illusions; this has been done to suit An Post only, there's plenty of people coming to collect undelivered post in Ashbourne, they just don't have the room and don't want to get a larger premises to deal with Ashbourne's large population. So now Dunshaughlin has a motor tax office AND can collect undelivered post yet re second biggest town in Meath can't. It's a joke!

I know An Post tried to open the sorting office here years ago and only picked Dunshaughlin because the old postmaster in Ashbourne wouldn't move out of the town but deciding the sorting office is convenient for everyone in the area is laughable. People need to write to TDs, councillors and An Post over this, Ashbourne has a huge population in a Meath context but it gets treated like crap because we never use this people power, we just put up and shut up. That's why we have no court, no social welfare office, no motor tax office, no public swimming pool (tiny Trim is on its second), expensive rural buses and now nowhere to collect undelivered post.

If organisations like An Post thought there'd be a backlash against decisions like this, they wouldn't do it in the first place.

I wrote to Mary Wallace yesterday on this awaiting reply. I'd suggest you do same. Is there a list of resident organisations anywhere to contact to get some movement on this. ? Ill take up the baton on this one if either of ye want to join me. Im in tudor.
    I am not letting this one lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 demonreedler

I contacted Donal Connell the Chief Exec. about this issue and got this repsonse:

Dear Mr. MacCann

Thank you for your mail.

I should explain that Dunshaughlin Delivery Office is where all mail for Ashburne is prepared
    for delivery and this is where the post person operates from. Mail that the post person has
    attempted to deliver in the Ashbaurne area should be returned to the Dunshaughlin Office
    to be held for collectlon. However, while an arrangement was put in place with Ashbourne Post Office some years ago to relain such undelivrable items for collection, this was not a long term agreement.

We have moved the facility to collect mail from Ashbourne Post Office to Dunshaughlin
    Delivery Office for a number of reasons. These include improving the quality of the electronic
    tracking information on bar-coded items and the fact that Dunshaughlin Delivery Office is
    better equipped to handle such mail, providing secure areas for holding mail waiting collection
    and staff specifically assigned to process mail that needs to be returned to the sender or to be
    sent to another address for redelivery.

Customers in Ashbourne who receive a delivery notice for mail that is unable to to delivered
    by the post person can collect the mail from Dunshaughlin DeIivery Office. However they can
    also authorise an agent to collect the mail on their behalf by completing the appropriate section
    on the delivery notice. The alternative to collecting the mail from Dunshaughlin Delivery Offlce
    is to complete the delivery notice and post it to Dunshaughlin Delivery Office requesting that
    the mail be redelivered to another address in the area (which is also delivered from the
    Dunshaughlln Delivery Office).

It may be helpful to know that we have undertaken a detailed review of the process for all mail
    that is attempted to be delivered to customers nationwide. We have developed a new service
    which will be available shortly and which will provide an option of having such mail redelivered
    to any address within the state for a small fee.

We are confident that this revised serevice wlll provide a more convenient solution for our
    customers to have their undelivered mail redelivered to any address where they will be
    available during working hours.

I trust my ernail explains the position. If I can be of further assistance, please do not hesitate to
    contact me.

Yours Sincerely

Donal Connell
    Chief Executive

My instant reaction is what a joke. Basically all the 'improvements' are to streamline their internal processes at the expense of their second largest catchemnt of potential (former) customers in Meath. That is they will have a fantastic smooth operating system that LESS people use.

Also the key is the last paragrpah about the 'new' service i.e. they will hold your post to ransom rather than facilitate you collecting it. Further if there was another address in the state that we wished the post to be sent to, don't these guys think we would have used it in the first place? With logic like this is it any wonder an Post are in such trouble.

Anyway rant over ... I contacted Mary Wallace, Shane McEntee and Dominic Hannigan (TD's) as well and all havepromised to look into it !!???? Sure.

Anyone else fancy emailing an AnPost there are no direct emails to anyone useful on the website, but the format of their emails is

nameDOTsurnameATanpostDOTie

• Advertisement

funny you got that reply today. I got onto mary wallace last week and had their head of operations call me back today and gave your answer word for word to me.

Same thing. new service coming etc for a small fee.

While I see what theyre about with streamlining etc and better tracking of parcels, this is not, in my opinion, what a local service should be.

Dunshaughlin is not local to Ashbourne. A 5-10 minute trip is local. Try and get to dunshaughlin post office from ashbourne, park the car and back in under 45-50 minutes.

I asked could we not ring up and get them to deliver it again the day after and maybe leave it with a neighbour (remember that used to happen!!!), now that would be a service, but no can do.

I just dont understand who benefits here, the post office may be able to track the parcels better, but the SERVICE isnt better so who gains? no point knowing where it is, if its far away.

If that was the case, sure why not just leave all the post in their national central sorting office in clondalkin (or wherever it is).

grrrrr. another service gone. No sense of reality on the ground from these people. Services slowly slipping away. Not long before the bus goes and we'll be told sure we can either get the train from dunboyne or cycle to finglas and get the 40 into town.

Next we'll be wanting fresh milk.

But I digress.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seawoman

I am polish. I working in Dublin 8-4.40 monday-frinday. I receive notice about parcel in Monday with notification The Item will be available for 6 next days only :(
    I start hate this anpost, really...

I just called to Dunshauglin for 8258066, and the guy was REALLY not nice,
    I said only my situation, that i can't pick in the week,
    I ask for saturday (i have day off) and he told me that saturday is close ??

Sory but these hours 7:30-5.30 it is most populars working hours !! Could be one day to 9pm, or longer.
    He sad that i can ask somebody to pick my parcel,but i don't have anybody, any family here.... !

But do we live in XXI ??

We paid for parcel transport to our home, not to another town, far away :(

I will not use anpost any longer :( If I only can it is much cheaper using courier, i don't have to pay extra money for receiving parcel, and parcel it is sending to my adress.

Advertisement