Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wwoofing for dummies - volunteering on organic farms

• 23-08-2010 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

So Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms is free volunteering on any of the hundreds of organic farms in any of 99 countries around the world!

Has anyone ever been wwoofing, what is it like, did you learn much, food and board are free but what does it end up costing, would you have any tips for those giving it a try?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

mitteman wrote: »
    So Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms is free volunteering on any of the hundreds of organic farms in any of 99 countries around the world!

Has anyone ever been wwoofing, what is it like, did you learn much, food and board are free but what does it end up costing, would you have any tips for those giving it a try?

hey

firstly it's a great way to travel and meet some great people
    i'm just back from New Zealand
    and loved (nearly) every minute of it
    i didn't register with the nz wwoof website i went with another one instead
    called helpexchange it's better as you can review the host's for all too see your experience weather it was good or bad and you pay i think it was $25NZD for 2 years and i can see hosts worldwide

https://www.helpx.net/

food and board are free but what does it end up costing

it varies from host to host some only offer breakfast for 3 hours work but most offer the works breakfast lunch dinner and snacks, they would all give you a washing machine and showers (naturally)
    so all it really costs would be travelling between the hosts
    and maybe if you want your own ''luxuries''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mitteman

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the link, I had not seen HelpX, it looks more user friendly and broadly based, the review system and one world wide fee are better than the wwoof system of different fees (around €25) for each major country association.

Wwoof seems to have a strong organic focus, I came across introductory video that shed a positive light on it at http://vimeo.com/6614235 . One of the better aspects of the wwoof organisation is the cheap and fairly comprehensive insurance through OV Europa, did you get insurance for the NZ volunteering?

Also came across www.workaway.info - a similar service with a variety of opportunities volunteering on farmstays and in hostels. I did not realise there was so many free volunteer opportunities. Seems like a great way to travel the world without spending a fortune.

Advertisement