Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Back Payed on the Dole?

Options
  • 23-08-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

So I applied for the dole, received a letter telling me when to sign on and when to pick up my first payment.

The only problem was the letter said my payments were "back dated" to when I first applied for the dole.

My question is; upon finishing college at the end of may am I not due to be back paid or eligible for back payments to may?

If I am how should I go about it?

Thanks a lot for your help,
    Ros.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

No, thry're backdated to when you applied only.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tubbyros

Hi,

Oh, my friend got back dated to when he finished college.

Just wondering how you know that you can only get back dated to when you applied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 skp120

They did not back date it to when your friend finished college because afaik you have to be out of education for 3 months to claim. Also..why would they backdate it to when you finish college vs. When you made the claim? That makes no sense.

Well I have been unemployed since I left college and my friend did get backdated to when he finished college and he was in the same course as me so I thought if he did I would too?

But you're saying no I can't. Just wondering where you got this information. I can't find any info on it so I thought I would ask here.

I was not out of education for 3 months they know that and still processed my claim.

So what's the source for the info? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

If you had of applied when you finished college then it would have been backdated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

If you have permanently finished your final year of college you would have been entitled to sign on the dole at the end of May.

When you were making your claim you should have written a separate letter stating you wanted your claim backdated (max 6 months). You should also have stated why you did not previously sign on (e.g. sick family member, unaware you were able to claim, etc). They may decide to backdate your claim if you ask, but it is up to them! You're not "entitled" to have your claim backdated.

If I were you I'd write this letter now. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If you did not finish your course but decided to leave after your (say) second year exams you would be disqualified for the summer until registration begins for the following year. I don't know what the situation is for someone doing a dip and there is a likelihood they will register for a degree course. I suppose it will be up to the deciding officer.

@techni-fan

Cheers for the reply.

That's what I thought, and it's what my friend had told me also....

It was my final year and I was unaware I was able to apply so, I'll take your advice.
    I think I'll write the letter now and give it in tomo.

Thanks again everyone....

Advertisement