Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brewing Sugar

• 23-08-2010 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

All the websites seem to be out of stock... Anyone have any idea where I can get any? I find beer tastes funny if I use regular sugar...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

The homebrewcompany have some http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_92&products_id=251 . What kit are you planning to brew? I was drinking Fixby Gold at the weekend using a beer cooler I picked up at a recycling centre. Tasted pretty good, using a corny keg with a beer cooler is the business :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I'm having a go at making my own mash. May just go for some spraymalts...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

tolosenc wrote: »
    All the websites seem to be out of stock... Anyone have any idea where I can get any? I find beer tastes funny if I use regular sugar...

sugar is sugar to yeast, that taste had noting to do with table sugar or yuo maybe be just using to much sugar in general

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most of these are a blend of sucrose(regular sugar) and dextrose/glucose, or just dextrose/glucose on their own.

Dextrose is pretty much identical to glucose, you can get it in the babyfood section in supermarkets if you really need it.

People in the fitness forum use it too and many pay stupid amounts to supplement shops or chemists, like people pay stupid amounts to homebrew shops -most are not aware it is in supermarkets, it is sometimes next to the sugar or icing, but usually with babyfood -about €1.10 for 500g.

Some say it gives less taste. I would sooner save the money and get regular sugar and invest the savings in a superior kit to begin with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

Try the new shop in Rathmines - mybeerandwine - they have plenty of brewing sugar, or at least they did the other day when I popped in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 metalmic

Brewing sugar is dextrose monohydrate also known as glucose. This is readily available in tesco, usually near baking and sugar.

Advertisement