Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boland Mills / Getting stuff cleaned up

Options
  • 23-08-2010 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi guys,

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

I walk past Boland Mills every day to and from work. There's a part of it which faces on Pearse Street has a lowered section that has been accumulating rubbish over time. No big deal really.

However, what's spurred me into action (well boards action) is that now on more than one occasion I've seen (homeless?) people using the area as a toilet - in broad daylight.

Especially with the good weather we've been having, and almost constantly now, there's a strong smell which isn't just rubbish, and smells very similar to baby's nappies. Most likely this is a health hazard now.

Just wondering if anyone knows who owns Boland Mills these days, and even though the rubbish is on private property whether we can get the Council involved to clean it up.

Its a shame that the Mills is empty and rundown as it is, but surely there's something we can to make sure it doesn't disappear behind a pile of rubbish and poo.

Thanks guys,

TBS.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Flower20

Litter warden might be a good starting point.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭JennyAnt

I think Origin Enterprises are the head office company for Bolands - not sure how much help they would be though....Give them a google if you get a chance (for some reason my work blocks their website, but lets me look at boards?!!?)
    I've noticed the smell too and it's foul!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I thought Johnny Ronan owned it but I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Is Bolands Mills not a publicly owned historic site?

There was an application to have the whole site redeveloped by maybe the broke Johnny Ronan's Treasury Holdings but the part the OP is on about is on the side of the historic mill to be preserved.

Its a tough one to figure out who has responsibility alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

speaking of boland mills

this is quite interesting http://www.abandonedireland.com/bm.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭Esel

speaking of boland mills

this is quite interesting http://www.abandonedireland.com/bm.html
    I laughed at this bit:
    Bolands Mill, scene of the 1916 rising....
    Good site, though.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Bolands Mill is owned by a developer called Sean Kelly whose main company is called Benton Property Holdings but is using a different company for the Bolands Mill scheme. He bought the site from IAWS six years ago. I'd ring Dublin City Council's Derelict Sites office if it's of concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Reuben1210

Hi guyys,
    Andy update on the Boland's Mill site, and if the aqua vetro building will be built on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

there aint much happening down there of late and think it,ll stay that way for a long while. They have put up metal boarding on some of the windows in the last few weeks as the windows were getting smashed. There were guys in trucks there a few weeks ago in the entrance on barrow street but couldnt tell you what they were doing but the place looks like a right dump from what I saw through the open gate. Irish times said that nama now have the loan for it and value the site about 50 million euro but back in the day was worth closer to 500 million euro. I thought Bono and his mates had some involvement at that and was going to be the u2 tower site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

No U2 were involved in another site at the quays(end of SJR quay) which is just a piece of wasteland now.
    These guys would probably have up to date info. http://www.archiseek.com/forum/search.php?keywords=boland&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=49&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&sid=f94c569fcbb19609c817bf1581abcfaf&submit=Search

• Advertisement

Hey, thanks for the update! No, U2 tower was planned for Britain quay at the end there, but the cranes were taken down a few months ago, so I don't know what is happening now...it was postponed due to financial reasons in 2009, but with Bono about to make a killing with Facebook's IPO in May, maybe he will go ahead and call it the Bono tower or something. Yeah i thought as much about Boland's Mill, though it is a prime site, and with all these big companies looking to expand, and look for more prime office space, I would think that NAMA would be interested in developing it. I wonder did Treasury ever get permission for Aqua Vetro on it, or was it just a concept..?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

with Bono about to make a killing with Facebook's IPO

Shudders at the thought of Bono with money to burn in a recession...

He'll probably buy Trinity and turn it into a giant phallic statue with his 'studio' at the top. >shudder<

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Phenomenally Phrank

MadsL wrote: »
    Shudders at the thought of Bono with money to burn in a recession...

He'll probably buy Trinity and turn it into a giant phallic statue with his 'studio' at the top. >shudder<

Actually I'd be all in favour of that happening-I really ****ing hate trinity. Stuck up *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Actually I'd be all in favour of that happening-I really ****ing hate trinity. Stuck up *****.

Oh for the love of god....what is wrong with people when it comes to Dublin??

Well finally, the mill site will be redeveloped!!
    €150m redevelopment!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭cgcsb

here's the link

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0112/672067-bolands-mills/

Planning decision due on the 5th of Feb but the scheme will no doubt be rejected due to having less than 19% of the development residential, when the minimum is 30% so it'll be back to the drawing board anyway

cgcsb wrote: »
    here's the link

Planning decision due on the 5th of Feb but the scheme will no doubt be rejected due to having less than 19% of the development residential, when the minimum is 30% so it'll be back to the drawing board anyway

Really? there's no way they would give conditional permission? I preferred the proposal that treasury holdings had drawn up...more aesthetically pleasing!

Treasury holdings plan didn't cover the entire site unfortunately. It is possible Dublin City Council will accept the scheme as is, but it would be in contravention of their own development plan, and possibly an indication of corruption at a high level.

Alternatively they could grant permission with conditions that some office units are re-designed as residential units.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

It would just be amazing to see something done with it. The site has massive potential. Must go onto the DCC site today and have a nose at the plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Barrow Street needs to be cleaned up and that DART station upgraded massively. Foot traffic during rush hour in the morning there is way more than can be handled by the street and station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Barrow Street needs to be cleaned up and that DART station upgraded massively. Foot traffic during rush hour in the morning there is way more than can be handled by the street and station.

The Grand Canal Dock DART station is currently being extended. Construction work is underway.

JTMan wrote: »
    The Grand Canal Dock DART station is currently being extended. Construction work is underway.

Haven't seen the plans but they need to have separate exits for both platforms; crossing over on those stairs is entirely impractical.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Was somthing in Irish Times (i think) last week saying Google had bought had bought another one of the old warehouse buildings on the canal. If they get the Bolands Mill site they,ll own all the commercial space on the street except the solicitors offices (if they dont already own it)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Daith

cgcsb wrote: »
    here's the link

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0112/672067-bolands-mills/

Does it need to be 30% residential units or residential "space"?

technically it's "space" which gives wriggle room and allows for the inclusion of balconies and communal gardens. However with this scheme, they'll have to be a bit more blatant, perhaps even referring to the public plaza ass residential space through some verbal gymnastics.

The Planning Authority are concerned about the architectural quality of the new development when the derelict, rundown disgrace of Boland Mills is allowed to rot perpetually?! Its protected status really should be revoked as its current state is treason to what it once represented; and making it safe is not worth it financially.

At least the reasons for rejecting the application require only relatively small things to fix in connection with the residential aspect of the development before the plans should be given the go ahead. More red tape means even greater delays however.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,721 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

JTMan wrote: »
    Haven't seen the plans but they need to have separate exits for both platforms; crossing over on those stairs is entirely impractical.

The changes to the station involve realigning the railway tracks - the current unused platform will become the main northbound platform, while the current northbound platform will become a turnback platform for Northern, Maynooth and Kildare line trains, once the city centre resignalling project is completed.

I am not aware of any planned changes to access for the station.

• Advertisement

A nice timelapse of the mills being demolished in the Times today!

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/watch-boland-s-quay-silos-being-demolished-1.2727087

Advertisement