Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android App source-code

• 23-08-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Quick question for anyone some-way familiar with Android(from a dev point of view)
    Is it possible to dis-assemble or view the source code of an app?
    I'm only an Android user, but there's a couple of apps i'd love to delve into to see just how they work.

Cheers
    Smartblaa

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

No, the best you can get is the class file names, not at the source code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭EasyBoy1974

smartblaa wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Quick question for anyone some-way familiar with Android(from a dev point of view)
    Is it possible to dis-assemble or view the source code of an app?
    I'm only an Android user, but there's a couple of apps i'd love to delve into to see just how they work.

Cheers
    Smartblaa

Have you seen dedexer

http://dedexer.sourceforge.net/

claims to disassemble dex files, but I'm not sure how much use it would be

Have you seen dedexer

http://dedexer.sourceforge.net/

claims to disassemble dex files, but I'm not sure how much use it would be

Does exactly what I said, lets you at the class file names but thats the best you'll get.
    draffodx wrote: »
    No, the best you can get is the class file names, not at the source code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

But if dedexer gives you the class files,can you not use JAD to get the java code

Dacelonid wrote: »
    But if dedexer gives you the class files,can you not use JAD to get the java code

I've never tried JAD.

Worth a try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Android apps don't compile to Java classes but to Dalvik bytecode. It's unique to Android and AFAIK there's no way as of yet to get the source back from a compiled .dex file. There is a tool called baksmali that can show you something that resembles assembly code (at least readable but you really need to know your stuff to make sense of it) but that's it. :(

Advertisement