Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Touting new Forums

Options
  • 23-08-2010 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭

Very often when people are proposing new threads they tout them by putting a thread in a near forum - so, for example there is a request for an environmental forum in the Science forum. Fair enough, its pretty close.

However when a new forum that doesn't have any close relatives comes up, where can you advertise it? I tried a thread in the Gardening forum, for the Older Generation proposal, and not unsurprisingly, it got removed! Ok it was not gardening, but it seemed a likely place to catch a few passing wrinklies :D

I checked out a few other possibilities:

Beerguts & RH seems to be exclusively about beer.
    Clearasil and Hormones is age related but I doubt the people targetted with go in there.
    Gentlemens' Club is just about wimmin
    All things Retro is about people nostalgically discussing the 90s
    Lifehacking? - its a bit quiet in there though.
    Zombie Survival? Now there's a thought....

But I'm not seeing anywhere really obvious? :) Come on, I'm talking to myself in there.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

looksee wrote: »
    V

:eek: it's not at all!!!

Create a thread in the forums forum, then link to the thread in your sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The Forums forum.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Very often when people are proposing new threads they tout them by putting a thread in a near forum - so, for example there is a request for an environmental forum in the Science forum. Fair enough, its pretty close.

However when a new forum that doesn't have any close relatives comes up, where can you advertise it? I tried a thread in the Gardening forum, for the Older Generation proposal, and not unsurprisingly, it got removed! Ok it was not gardening, but it seemed a likely place to catch a few passing wrinklies :D

I checked out a few other possibilities:

Beerguts & RH seems to be exclusively about beer.
    Clearasil and Hormones is age related but I doubt the people targetted with go in there.
    All things Retro is about people nostalgically discussing the 90s
    Lifehacking? - its a bit quiet in there though.
    Zombie Survival? Now there's a thought....

But I'm not seeing anywhere really obvious? :) Come on, I'm talking to myself in there.

Boards.ie menu at the top -> new forums.

The most recent new additions are listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,502 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Tbh and janeybabe - yes there already is a thread in Forums, started by peasant, I'm just trying to drum up a bit of interest by mentioning it where it might get noticed.

The link to sig idea is a good one though, I'll try that.

Spear - those are new forums, if we had got to that chance it would not need promoting...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Spear - those are new forums, if we had got to that chance it would not need promoting...

Ah, I misunderstood, I thought you meant newly created rather than newly requested, but not yet created.

In which case the sig method seems most popular.

• Advertisement

Like this :D

I don't know how to do that thing where you put a word and it becomes the link, but this will do for now! (this is a great diversion from actually getting some work done)

Like this :D

I don't know how to do that thing where you put a word and it becomes the link, but this will do for now! (this is a great diversion from actually getting some work done)

Might look better as this

Are you 'Older Generation?' Support the new forum request and meet some other wrinklies older boardsies!

Spear wrote: »

Yes thats what I was aiming for, but I don't know how to do the link thing where you use different words. I'd have to leave out the 'wrinklies' but that's probably just as well. Is there somewhere that tells you how to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Are you 'Older Generation?' Support the[ URL="http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956739"]New Forum[/URL] request and meet some other older boardsies! (just remove the space between the [ and the URL)

Are you 'Older Generation?' Support the New Forum request and meet some other older boardsies!

also, you could try this thread and ask them to do a graphic for you..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

tbh wrote: »
    ...you could try this thread and ask them to do a graphic for you..

QFT.

They're a helpful bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

You should also enlist anyone that supports the forum to put the link into their sig too.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    You should also enlist anyone that supports the forum to put the link into their sig too.

Good idea, would you count yourself in on that? All help appreciated!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

what do you mean by older generation ?

would i be considered one of the older generation?

i mean i have never used fake tan or hair straighners and i dont know how to download music on to the box thing my boy got me

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

irishbird wrote: »
    would i be considered one of the older generation?

Yes, you are ancient.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Yes, you are ancient.

but i will never be as old as you:p:p

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

See all it takes is time to bring out more classic rock forum supporters.

Advertisement