Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermaltake V3 Black Edition - Cooling

Options
  • 23-08-2010 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

What, in your opinion, would be the best way (Fan-wise) to go about cooling a Thermaltake V3 case.

I have an idea already of what I want to try:

It comes with a rear-high exhaust installed.

On the lower front end, there is space for a 120mm intake which I will mount. Directly beside this on the bottom of the case, is a space where I will mount another 120mm intake, hopefully, blowing the air that comes in from the front 120mm up into the case for it to be extracted by the exhaust fan.

I have another reason for wanting two intakes.
    + pressure.

As you can see, this case is very open with its perforated face and side/top vents. I cant imagine it's too healthy to have potentialy dusty air being sucked in by the disk drives. So, im hoping having a + balance inside the case will prevent this from happening; i.e., air will be pushed out by the drives instead of pulled in.

At the same time though, im wondering if this case is all-together too open to get a + balance going.

What do you think guys?
    Is this do-able?
    Ive never set up a airflow through a case before, just want to make sure I wont be putting the system under unnecessary stress. :pac:

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you want to buy 4-5 120mm fans then put the front, bottom and (if you can be bothered) side fans as intakes, then reverse the rear exhaust so it too is an intake. Now set up the two top fans as exhausts. Voila! :D

If you only fancy buying three fans that are slower than the default case fan, reverse the exhaust and put the front fan in as an intake, then put the top two fans in as exhausts. Hot air moves up, that's why we have the new standard case layout with top-mount fan mounts!! ;)

Also bear in mind that the positive pressure trick is a lot more forgiving than negative pressure (which practically requires the case to be hermetically sealed to prevent dust ingress! :o) but it only works if the intakes are all filtered! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

Wouldnt having an intake and exhaust right beside each other cause them to conflict with eachother?

Or, does the close intake air presence kind of... flush the hot air out the exhausts more efficiently.

Thanks for the advice. I think ill do what you said and put the exhaust out the roof. Now I think about it, it will help with keeping the air cool outside the case too! Shooting it to the roof and not against a wall sounds much better ;)

Advertisement