Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help! - Repeating the Leaving Cert

• 23-08-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Okay so basically my results were ridiculously awful (220 points, oh dearrrrr) The thing that annoys me the most is, is the fact that my results do not reflect on my actual ability at all, and it comes down to general laziness that I've been put in this position.

Anyway, I'm exploring all my options right now and I just need to clear up a few things about repeating. I thought it was straight forward but a few people have broken it down and have seemed to really over-complicate everything, and have left me entirely confused and quite concerned about the implications of repeating.

So, here are my questions:
    1) If I repeated, do I have to take all my subjects again or can I leave 1 or 2 out due to the fact I did quite well in them? If so can I carry those points over to the 2nd completion of the Leaving Cert?

2) Subjects' curriculum and syllabuses change all the time. So for example I took History; would everything that I learned last year become void and I'd have to learn history about entirely different countries from entirely different years? I also took Music and I'm aware that every 2 years they change the course from Queen & some classical composers to The Beatles & some other classical composers, and this year the course was set to change. Therefore, would I have to start learning about Queen etc or do other schools in the country learn different courses at different times in which I'd be able to take the Music exam with everything I knew again?

3) I forgot :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭buzsywuzsy

i repeated the l.c. four years ago so hopefully what i'm going to tell you hasn't totally changed.

1. No you don't have to take all the same subjects again (and you can take on new ones if you want to) You can't carry on points from the previous year however you can carry on entry requirements. I don't understand why you would drop subjects that you are good in and that would give you a higher score. I dropped OL Maths cause I had the entry requirement so why waste my time.

2. I don't know about the history and the music syllabus at all. I kept Irish and English- both with totally new syllabuses (sp?) that i had to learn.

My advice keep the subjects that you are good at and if you really want a course work for it. Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

OP, the History course remains the same for two years at a time, meaning you will be able to answer on the same books you did this year and the document question will still be on Northern Ireland. The only thing you will definitely have to change for History is your project. You cannot submit the same one twice, so you will need to write a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dannnnn

Thanks for your responses.

1 more thing, the English. This year I did King Lear, Wuthering Heights, Billy Elliot and Playboy of the Western World, will all of that have changed now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

The English stuff will more than likely have changed, and you'll have to do new poets too. Good luck repeating.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ShamrockGirl

Dannnnn wrote: »
    Thanks for your responses.

1 more thing, the English. This year I did King Lear, Wuthering Heights, Billy Elliot and Playboy of the Western World, will all of that have changed now?

For english the single text will have changed to Hamlet for the shakespeare drama I think. This website might help for you to look for the syllabus and curriculum for each subject, for example the english prescribed tests for 2011.
    http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=&pcategory=17233&ecategory=17233&sectionpage=&subject=28483&language=EN&link=&page=

Hope thats of help and best of Luck!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

Wouldnt bother man unless you have no other choice because if youre heart isnt really in it you'll do just as badly and Im speaking from experiance aswell Honestly your better off doing a PLC or something for the year will teach you alot more in the long run

I went back and found I hated school even more I got low points the 1st time round (low by most peoples standads but high for the school) but this didnt bother me because my plan was to do a PLC is alarm fitting and walk onto a site after doing it and getting a job this was just before the country went to ****. So I went back and hated it the class was full of dickheads or they where just pure children got on with about 3 or 4 people. The work just got boring after a while because its all the same. I used to never mitch the 1st time from 1st year to 6th year when I repeated I mitched nearly 70% or the year because I hated it for those 8 months I was seriously depressed hated my life just felt like a failure. ended up dropping a subject cos no one would help me (Drawing no one would help me with the CAD).in the end I did worse but still got into College and im enjoying myself and the course.

Most of the stuff in the leaving cert is useless anyway like when are you ever going to use Irish or YB Yeats again problaby never.

Go do a PLC or something for the year This will let you get a bit of experience of what college life is like you will learn something new something that you want to learn and hopfully something you can use and you'll meet new people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 x.soph.x

Dannnnn wrote: »
    Okay so basically my results were ridiculously awful (220 points, oh dearrrrr) The thing that annoys me the most is, is the fact that my results do not reflect on my actual ability at all, and it comes down to general laziness that I've been put in this position.

Anyway, I'm exploring all my options right now and I just need to clear up a few things about repeating. I thought it was straight forward but a few people have broken it down and have seemed to really over-complicate everything, and have left me entirely confused and quite concerned about the implications of repeating.

So, here are my questions:
    1) If I repeated, do I have to take all my subjects again or can I leave 1 or 2 out due to the fact I did quite well in them? If so can I carry those points over to the 2nd completion of the Leaving Cert?

2) Subjects' curriculum and syllabuses change all the time. So for example I took History; would everything that I learned last year become void and I'd have to learn history about entirely different countries from entirely different years? I also took Music and I'm aware that every 2 years they change the course from Queen & some classical composers to The Beatles & some other classical composers, and this year the course was set to change. Therefore, would I have to start learning about Queen etc or do other schools in the country learn different courses at different times in which I'd be able to take the Music exam with everything I knew again?

3) I forgot :(
    basically if you want to improve your points then it has to come from 6 subjects that where sat in one year. if you keep any grades they can only be used for minimum entry requirements but not points. which i find really fukin annoyin cos im also thinking of repeating, and i did pretty well in art, english and home ec and hate the thought of doing english again cos the whole thing will be different!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭salthillman

Dont bother repeating English, its basically a new subject

I really dont wanna repeat:( hated it all so much the first time. dunno wot else ta do tho, feel so lost. x

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

x.soph.x wrote: »
    I really dont wanna repeat:( hated it all so much the first time. dunno wot else ta do tho, feel so lost. x
    try fetac/plc course u might be lucky to find one like i did

• Advertisement

is there any plc courses or fetac courses which can lead me onto doing midwifery which is what i want to do?

is there any plc courses or fetac courses which can lead me onto doing midwifery which is what i want to do?
    u could try nursing studies,where do u live bec most colleges of further ed have closed for applications

i live in roscommon so not a good location lol... im fukin screwed! gonna have to end up goin on a course i dont really wanna do! x

Repeat! Just not english! Dont do a course yeh dont want to do

i seriously dont wanna go back to school though and i dont know where else i can repeat! :(

What about Yeats? Or school in Sligo??

wheres Yeats?

Galway city. They have their own digs though.

I bet it costs alot tho dont it?

Yeah. 7 grand a year for tuition alone. Very good teachers though. It and the Institute are probably the best schools in the country.

• Advertisement

yeh well i defo couldnt do that, money wouldnt allow it lol. Lifes so ****e! what are you planning to do? or are you not a student?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

You aren't the only one, I was thinking of repeating but not fully sure. I don't want to go back to school though, and I already know what teachers I would have and half of them are rubbish!

Does anyone ever repeat on their own.....:confused:

Im not sure, if you could i definitly would rather do it on my own but i reckon it would be alot more difficult!

Im not sure, if you could i definitly would rather do it on my own but i reckon it would be alot more difficult!
    do you mind if it far like not in roscommon?

there is longford,nursing studies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭leinsterrugby

lol at people saying don't do english. i was in ordinary level for 5th year and decided to go up to honours in 6th yr, didnt read any of the books only used the keynotes book and got a b1 in the leaving. im not like trying to be cool btw this really did happen. i put very little effort into english and got that result.

where abouts in longford is that? and what could i do after ive done that?

where abouts in longford is that? and what could i do after ive done that?
    there is two
    nursing studies and
    The course does not guarantee placement in Nursing Degree Courses but students who obtain a distinction in five specified modules may obtain entry to Degree Courses.Career Opportunities: Students participate in work placement in a variety of Nursing and Health Areas including Hospitals, Psychiatric Hospitals, Special Needs Schools, Homes for the Elderly, Rehab Centres, Hospices and Respite Care Centres. Employment opportunities may arise from this placement.
    Granard,
    Co Longford ,Ardscoil Phadraig
    Nursing Studies - Care Assistant
    Progression Links are possible with this course to some Higher Education Institutions through the FETAC Higher Education Links Scheme
    Templemichael,,
    longford,Templemichael College
    i hope you consider these courses and i was of help ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

A distinction in five modules sounds hard. And that dosen't even gaurantee a place?! Jaysus, I wouldn't risk that! She might be another year at studies before she gets in to her course.

(btw I was posting as salthillman earlier, my brothers account, didnt realise he had signed in)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Yeats is good yes, but is a lot of money for most. Also, not everyone there gets those points, plenty get 300 too. However, if I was not hell-bent on it I'd go around to each secondary school locally and ask what they can offer you. When I was doing my Dip, in a not so posh school, there as a room given to 4 students repeating there were 4 in most of the classes, except the really uncommon subjects. They all topped the 500, oddly enough it wasa girls' school but two lads were let repeat there. Worth checking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

Dan, it's Dom here, from your post I feel this is my Dan and not an internet Dan I don't know but if you are a stranger Dan, I'm sorry for being weird and my post might not be so helpful as it applies to a certain Dan.

If you work hard this year you can get an A in English and I'm sure of it, you're naturally talented at it, you have no problem ANSWERING any of the questions or writing the essays, it's the timing that's your downfall and you have a whole year to perfect that. Unfortunately the music course has changed, but you know yourself that if you just learn the set works off(start in september and I promise you'll know them by Christmas) then you'll be fine as you ace the practical anyway(but be careful, remember if you repeat in our school than you have a different teacher, who is also excellent but the class has an extremely high standard) Your melodies and chords will be fine. Do that work and you'll get another A.

I have an IDEA for you, it might be CRAZY but remember we were all saying 'Oh Dan, why didn't you do art?! You're so good at it!' Why don't you drop OL Maths, assuming you passed it and don't need a higher requirement for your course and take up HL Art. It will be a LOT of work, but work I think you'll enjoy. The art history is a pain but then again, you like history and you might find it interesting, if you don't like the history part(it's 38% so to get a high grade you NEED to do well in it) then you just learn off all the info(start in September and you will be fine) We have to do figure drawing(think you could do that?) and drawing a still life(you can use whatever medium, a biro even, and you're good at drawing pictures with biros I've seen!) and lastly the project(I did the bookcraft which is really fun, lots of glue and crafts and mess, sinead did calligraphy, which I'd advise you stay away from because she's been practicing that for years, and other Dom did a poster, which you'd be good at)

Move up to HL French, work really hard at it, get grinds or whatever, I'll help when you need help practicing for the orals, you need the points and tbh, if you work hard learning your verbs and the basics it really isn't that hard at all.

If you really think you will work than I'm all for it pet, you can do this and get your points and do your course, but if you're going to get lazy again or bored or fed up then don't bother, it's a waste of a whole year. We're all behind you if you repeat though, keep me posted xx

Advertisement