Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

God bless google earth!!!

Options
  • 23-08-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

I've been looking for a spot to try some target shooting at 500yards or there abouts and their few and far between round my way there's always a road or a house or something in the way, I thought of this place yesterday and went up with a friends rangefinder to try and check the distances and reccy the spot for safety, ditches in the way etc. the range finder wasnt working it musta had a low battery or something but I could see I had a good line of sight no houses roads or ditches in the way and its on my permission.

I went on google earth there a while ago clicked on tools then clicked on ruler and I can range find all I want without leaving the house!!! (probably a few pc literate lads rolling their eyes at this) anyway here's the spot it'd be great for some long range varminting aswell, just sit up on the mine with a caller down the field and wait to see what comes along, the red line ine the picture is 500yrds.Roll on some nice calm weather...:D

range2.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Great idea fairplay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

great way of doing it, i tried it before couldnt get aclear image cant make any hand of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Think some areas aren't mapped properly just cuts off beside me.

Try here http://www.osi.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Most of my area is blurred out, ho-hum.

They changed the OSI map lately, so instead of terrain and contours you get a worse than useless "street view" layer. There's a thread on it in Outdoor Pursuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

*cough*It's illegal to engage in target shooting outside of an authorised target shooting range*cough*

But long-range varminting, that's a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

ok sparks didnt know that, I'll just use the spot for varminting so...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Sparks wrote: »
    *cough*It's illegal to engage in target shooting outside of an authorised target shooting range*cough*

Well T'is a good thing some of my fields with bunnies extend to 655yards, with the barley cut on Friday that means i have my bunny varminting back :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Sparks wrote: »

Or "zeroing" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

johngalway wrote: »
    Most of my area is blurred out, ho-hum.

They changed the OSI map lately, so instead of terrain and contours you get a worse than useless "street view" layer. There's a thread on it in Outdoor Pursuits.

Sounds very "Black OPs" :P:P:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sounds very "Black OPs" :P:P:P

I suspect it was more a case of walkers printing off screen shots, though they were never good enough to navigate by in fairness.

As for down here, yes, we're very private you know :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement