Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Surround sound recommendations?

• 23-08-2010 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a flat screen and a PS3. The sound from the flat screen is great, but audio quality lets it down.

So I need a system that will give me surround sound for the ps3 and normal tv channels. I'd order online and probably looking for a 5.1 system.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

72hundred wrote: »
    Hi,

I've a flat screen and a PS3. The sound from the flat screen is great, but audio quality lets it down.

So I need a system that will give me surround sound for the ps3 and normal tv channels. I'd order online and probably looking for a 5.1 system.

For what price?
    KEF KHT-3005SE 5.1 ~ €1000
    KEF KHT-2005.3 5.1 ~ €800 Harman Kardon HKTS 30 ~ €500
    Canton Movie 120 MX 5.1 ~ € 300
    Infinity TSS-800 5.1 ~ € 300
    These are some that I would recommend. Check prices on ebay, amazon, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Mathiasb wrote: »
    For what price?
    KEF KHT-3005SE 5.1 ~ €1000
    KEF KHT-2005.3 5.1 ~ €800 Harman Kardon HKTS 30 ~ €500
    Canton Movie 120 MX 5.1 ~ € 300
    Infinity TSS-800 5.1 ~ € 300
    These are some that I would recommend. Check prices on ebay, amazon, etc.

I guess the 300e mark. Not to sound like a cheapo but are <300e really not worth the money?

(BTW I'm not a technophobe despite these questions - just not very used to AV tech)

I wouldn't shell out under €300 for a 5.1 system, personally. I just think it'd be a waste of money, I most likely be disappointed.

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&sub=100&productid=989 has got good reviews + it's available here in Ireland with shipping. That's what I would buy if I was in your situation.

Mathiasb wrote: »
    I wouldn't shell out under €300 for a 5.1 system, personally. I just think it'd be a waste of money, I most likely be disappointed.

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=5&sub=100&productid=989 has got good reviews + it's available here in Ireland with shipping. That's what I would buy if I was in your situation.

Yea I see your point. Boston a good name etc? BTW that site is £360... which is €411

That really would be too much to pay for sound for me. I'll keep looking.

Yea I see your point. Boston a good name etc? BTW that site is £360... which is €411

That really would be too much to pay for sound for me. I'll keep looking.

Never heard of Boston before to be honest, but I've seen good reviews. If you can't afford it right NOW, wait a month or two, then buy it! Or just go to Currys and buy whatever ;)

• Advertisement

Cheers thanks for the advice might indeed hold off for a little while. I'll probably end up spending around 150-200, tbh. Ideally value online would suit. I'll keep looking.

Another quick question... How does all this hook up? HDMI from ps3 to tv then and audio out? What's the audio connection type? It's it that optical port thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Generally, the idea is ps3 -> hdmi -> amplifier -> hdmi -> tv, with the audio terminating at the amp, and video continuing on.
    Obviously more sources such as ntl/sky, cd, dvd, mp3, etc. can also connect to the amp for audio and video.
    Also, though hdmi is (currently) the best medium, rca and optical/co-axial may be used for lower spec devices. These latter connections do not have the same bandwidth so quality decreases, whether you notice or not is down to you and your equipment.

nereid wrote: »
    Generally, the idea is ps3 -> hdmi -> amplifier -> hdmi -> tv, with the audio terminating at the amp, and video continuing on.
    Obviously more sources such as ntl/sky, cd, dvd, mp3, etc. can also connect to the amp for audio and video.
    Also, though hdmi is (currently) the best medium, rca and optical/co-axial may be used for lower spec devices. These latter connections do not have the same bandwidth so quality decreases, whether you notice or not is down to you and your equipment.

Thanks for the reply, call it a rush of blood to the head but considering getting that link from richersounds.ie above.

So if going to part with that kinda money I was wondering if I could ask another few things?

How does the audio from the standard TV cable reach it?

Also, an I know this is a small point, but has driven me demented on other widescreen & surround sound set-ups... do I really need a second remote just to control volume? i.e. Is there a system that will pick up on volume changes on the main tv remote and adjust the surround sound appropriately? (if you get what I'm asking!)

considering getting that link from richersounds.ie above.
    That link is just for speakers there is no amplifier/reciever so you would not be able to connect them direct to a TV/Playstation.

You need something like this to sit between your source devices and output devices
    How does the audio from the standard TV cable reach it?

You either connect an output from the source device to an input on the reciever. The output can be audio or video so for example most devices have RCA red/white audio and RCA yellow/S-Video (video) or you can use a SCART breakout cable to get the same connectors. Others may have HDMI such as the ps3.
    Connectivity options differ between the different recievers - i.e. whether they accept HDMI for processing or just switching etc but basically you connect your speakers to the amp, and you output video from the amp to the TV.

Also, an I know this is a small point, but has driven me demented on other widescreen & surround sound set-ups... do I really need a second remote just to control volume? i.e. Is there a system that will pick up on volume changes on the main tv remote and adjust the surround sound appropriately? (if you get what I'm asking!)
    For this your best bet is to check out the Logitech Harmony range. There are various models from basic to advanced, but the idea is the same across them all.

"watch TV" = turn on TV, turn on amp, turn on NTL, switch TV to input 1, switch amp to input 3, set volume to 55.
    "play PS3" = turn on TV, turn on amp, switch TV to input 3, switch amp to input 2, set volume to 65.
    etc

• Advertisement

That link is just for speakers there is no amplifier/reciever so you would not be able to connect them direct to a TV/Playstation.

You need something like this to sit between your source devices and output devices

Haha, really more money! I think I'll just call down to Currys and take the cheapo and less quality option at this stage.
    You either connect an output from the source device to an input on the reciever. The output can be audio or video so for example most devices have RCA red/white audio and RCA yellow/S-Video (video) or you can use a SCART breakout cable to get the same connectors. Others may have HDMI such as the ps3.
    Connectivity options differ between the different recievers - i.e. whether they accept HDMI for processing or just switching etc but basically you connect your speakers to the amp, and you output video from the amp to the TV.

Thanks, I think I'll go to Curry etc and just get whatever as pointed out before that will do what I need.
    For this your best bet is to check out the Logitech Harmony range. There are various models from basic to advanced, but the idea is the same across them all.

"watch TV" = turn on TV, turn on amp, turn on NTL, switch TV to input 1, switch amp to input 3, set volume to 55.
    "play PS3" = turn on TV, turn on amp, switch TV to input 3, switch amp to input 2, set volume to 65.
    etc

Cheers, that's still not quite what I was looking for. I think I'll just live with the second remote for volume.

Haha, really more money!

No bother, but glad you asked. Hifi can get like bicycles as regards cost and upgrading. ;)

No bother, but glad you asked. Hifi can get like bicycles as regards cost and upgrading. ;)

Yea I think I'll stick with money on the bike! Healthier!

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

An onkyo 607 amp and q accoustics 2000 cinema pack have this set up over a year couldnt be happier with it.

Advertisement