Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance 40 % increase

Options
  • 23-08-2010 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Just got my house insurance quote and it has gone up 40% on last year
    I never had a claim and I don’t live near any area that is flooded
    The company was getcover .ie rang them and they said that was the price take it or leave it.
    Told them to f**K off and i plan to moved to another insurance company
    Is this happing to everybody??
    where is the best deal???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Got my renewal quote last week too, it has almost doubled.
    Quotes from FBD and Zurich since are way more realistic...

It's like they want to lose my business......

Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭bondjames

i got one from AIB and it was €1100 euro
    Last year i paid €345
    what planet are the bank on??

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

I renewed mine last month with Quinn Direct - it had actually gone down !!!!!!!!!!!, shopped around to see if I could better it, but couldn't better it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

Last 3 years, 180, 210, 345, they're off there tats methinks, and to make it worse the mortage company forces me to cover the actual cost of the loan rather than the value of the house, don't see them helping with the insurance cost.

amerden wrote: »
    I renewed mine last month with Quinn Direct - it had actually gone down !!!!!!!!!!!, shopped around to see if I could better it, but couldn't better it anywhere.
    did u move to them?
    do you think it help to ring them rather than get a quote online?

• Advertisement

bondjames wrote: »
    The company was getcover .ie rang them and they said that was the price take it or leave it.
    Just to add to this Getcover.ie has also made 9 amendments to my policy all in favour of the insurance company.
    One of the amendments was the excess for a water /oil leak from an appliance was gone up from €175 to €2500
    So i am get worse policy for the 40% rise in premium

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

did u move to them?
    do you think it help to ring them rather than get a quote online?

Moved to them in 2009 as it had been the best quote I got.
    No harm in giving them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Make sure you review the rebuild costs. My renewal premium had a big increase - like everyone else has pointed out. Also big excess increases on any potential claim linked to water.
    However, when I checked the rebuild costs using one of those online calculators, I found the rebuild cost was a lot less. Then I got a requote, and went with that.

I had one claim in my entire life,. My insurance cost has gone up in recent years by 300% yes 300 not 30. I took it up with the financial regulator and the iff and got a load of waffle which shows me they are all in it together, same old same old. I sent several mails to getcover and they came up with I am in an area a lot of claims, nothing to do with me. So if my neighbours or someone in the next estate or same parish claimed my cost goes up. I challenged it but as yourself to no avail, Roll on my renewal date and getcover are dead. they are loosers and no one should deal with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

OP, have you tried the AA? They do Home Insurance, and last time I renewed they were the most competitive of the lot.

Edit: You might also find this useful: http://www.moneyguideireland.com/house-insurance-compared-2012.html

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Make sure you review the rebuild costs. My renewal premium had a big increase - like everyone else has pointed out. Also big excess increases on any potential claim linked to water.
    However, when I checked the rebuild costs using one of those online calculators, I found the rebuild cost was a lot less. Then I got a requote, and went with that.
    Getcover told me the rebuild cost acording to osg is 130euro per sq ft. when I calculated the cost it was over double the current market value of my house, they told me that if I had a claim and did not use this method I would be classed as underinsured and would only get half the amount I claimed for, Caught by the short and curlies we are with insurance companies, they can charge what they like.

Yes, get cover raised their water/oil leakage access to 1500 and 2500 in some cases. if u have a leak from a shower or washing machine you pay the first 1500 euro yourself. so basically you are not covered, even if you have a top end policy with accidental damage yet their premium went up, so I wonder what are we covered for at all. They pay damn all and will always value your property at more than you have so they can reduce the claim by a certain percent, Always on their side always,. rubbish getcover are. the worst I ever came across.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Getcover told me the rebuild cost acording to osg is 130euro per sq ft. when I calculated the cost it was over double the current market value of my house, they told me that if I had a claim and did not use this method I would be classed as underinsured and would only get half the amount I claimed for, Caught by the short and curlies we are with insurance companies, they can charge what they like.

So you are giving out because you got given good advise as to how to avoid average being applied to any potential claim?

Get market value out of your head. Market value has no relevance with insurance. It is purely based on the cost to reinstate.

Advertisement