Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would this build be ok?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Everything goes with everything... but should it?

Cooler - Decent, but not really that good for OCing quads. If you want to OC then get a Hyper 212 Plus, minimum.

RAM - Why 8GB?!? :confused:

Case - A bit too cheap, minimum spec for quads should be Thermaltake V3/NZXT Gamma/Antec 200. And grab a couple of cheap 120mm fans to go with the first two!

GPU - The Club3D is cheaper and closer to coming back in stock. If you want to play Russian Roulette with out-of-stock GTX460 1GBs do it with the Palit, which is under €200 ;):p

HDD - Wrong! Get the Samsung F3 1GB, its miles better! :D

Optical - Why the extra DVD-ROM? :confused:

NIC - Why?!? :confused::eek: You do know that all modern mobos have one built-in, don't you? :p

Monitor - If you can live with just VGA the B2230N is a bargain ;) Otherwise check out the P2250/2270, no HDMI and very slight dip in contrast and backlight brightness in order to get the gamer-friendly 2ms refresh... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

looks kinda similar to mine, anyone have expierance with the "Super-Flower" psu's ? Never heard of them myself.....

Generally above-average, but the poorer units are dirt-cheap and the fairly decent ones are usually quite overpriced. That's a good price for the Amazon, which from what I've seen is a decent PSU. A little prettier and more efficient than the Antec Earthwatts 650D and a little sloppier on 3.3/5V rail regulation. It also has slightly higher 12V rail capacity, but on the other hand looks a bit stressed past 80% load, so they're really quite similar. And seeing as the Earthwatts is out of stock...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

What Solitaire said (again!) :)
    But, imho, I think the case is splendid. Why do you think you shouldn't put a quad in the Asgard? Only problem I can see with it that it won't fit the 160mm cooler giants (the 158mm Mugen II does fit, btw. Almost scratching, but it fits, lol :) ).

It looks okay but at the end of the day its an old-ATX layout case with an overventilated side and underventilated top (the former would vibrate like a ***** if you tried to stick a fan there though! :o). Until a refresh changes things the cheapest Xiggy case I rate is the Midgard (not least for the triple fan controller! :D) which is twice the price of the Asgard, thus my recommendation for the new-ATX layout 200/V3/Gamma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

2 drives because for some strange reason some of my daughter's games won't play in the writer drive. :confused:
    That reason is called Digital Rights Management. :( The copy protection automatically assumes that since you happen to have a DVD writer your sole purpose with it is to copy the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

you only need 4gb ram for i5 so the money you save on 4gb put to this case http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=28606&agid=631

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Atmospheric joy

Thanks for all the advice. Just have to wait for some bits to come back into stock now!

Advertisement