Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staff turnover in Creche

Options
  • 23-08-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

My 2.5 yo is in a creche in Dundrum area. The staff turnover seems quiet high. Do other people find this with other creches.

We pay 950 per calendar month full time. When I questioned the owner on the rate of turnover I was told a year was a long time to get out of any creche worker.

fortunately all the girls that have looked after my child have been lovely so far!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's not a well paid job, staff earn little more then minimum wage.
    So not realy suprising that staff move on.

There is money being made in the creche business but most workers never see it

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We are in a creche with an extremely low staff turn over. Like anywhere some are better place to work then others and it costs a small fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

My sister used to work in the industry. Even for staff with degree level qualifications (my sis has a BA in Early Childhood Studies and a Diploma in Creche Management) the salary was pitiful -she eventually left to go back to a summer job she'd had working in a newsagents as she was trying to save money to go travel!

Add the crap pay, hard work and disillusionment with how some of the creches are run that many of the girls seem to experience it's hardly surprising that staff turnover is high in most of them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

Our daughter has been in creche for 10 months, and in that time 13 people have left for various reasons- generally career change. Some only lasted a couple of months, but I've a feeling that might be due to the number of kids in the creche falling at the same time.

Advertisement