Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you seen the Holiday Special?

• 23-08-2010 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

I saw it a few years ago, it's pretty surreal! It's amazing that Lucas hasn't cashed in by releasing it. Gotta respect the man for sticking to his guns; he doesn't want be associated with it.

I rather liked the Boba Fett cartoon segment, but didn't really enjoy the rest. The the domestic lives of Wookiees don't really interest me, nor do their rather strange forms of entertainment!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I vaguely remember it as a young fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

There was no Star Wars Holiday Special.

Do you hear me? THERE WAS NO F**KING STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

yeah i've seen it. it's brilliant. in a ****e way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Roar wrote: »
    yeah i've seen it. it's brilliant. in a ****e way.

Seen what?? I don't recall any Star Wars Holiday Special. Seriously, they never made one. Now let's close this thread and move on. It never happened. IT NEVER HAPPENED!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

I tried.

I really tried.

It was so bad, i had to watch Caravan of Courage to dull the pain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I've seen it. It's awful .... and not in a good way either.

The the only point of interest THS has is to see "what might have been" had ANH been made on the cheap or without the amount of care it got. Watch the canteena sequence in THS just to see how bad it looks. It's the same set as ANH. It's the same creatures as ANH, but somehow it looks like a steaming pile of total shíte.

The editor and DOP (and GL too as a result I guess) on Star Wars deserve a lot of credit for making something workable out of those materials. It could have ended up looking as awful and stagey as every other sci-fi movie of the era had they not produced such miracles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

I ended up seeing it again (drunkenly) over the weekend. Almost 9 minutes of Wookie moaning before any English is spoken was painful. Some incredibly surreal bits but mostly ****e. The Boba Fett cartoon is the only good section in the whole mess and its remarkable that thats where he originated.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭johnnyivan

Hi All,
    It was a nightmare. Blue Milk Special.com webcomic actually did a parody of it a few months ago.

John
    Star Wars Age 9 . com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭tro81

never watched it but bought a copy for a euro on ebay a bout a year ago. just stuck it in to check it works. ok quality but just couldnt be bother to sit and watch it. to many bad things i hear about it.

Have a look - judge for yourself. You'll be stunned.

John
    Star Wars Age 9 . com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭television

There was no Star Wars Holiday Special.

Do you hear me? THERE WAS NO F**KING STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL!!
    oh YES THERE IS,it can be watched on youtube,it was made as a tv movie in 1978 for thanksgiving in between anh and tesb,it was shown on nbc and boba fett made his first apperance in it as a cartoon,and for what its worth,lucas must have been smoking some good s*&t when he came up with it!!!

Seen what?? I don't recall any Star Wars Holiday Special. Seriously, they never made one. Now let's close this thread and move on. It never happened. IT NEVER HAPPENED!!
    yes they did,go on to youtube and type in star wars holiday special,and you WILL see it for yourself

television wrote: »
    yes they did,go on to youtube and type in star wars holiday special,and you WILL see it for yourself

I see you're not a big fan of irony.

bonerm wrote: »
    I see you're not a big fan of irony.
    hi,im just as big a fan of[tragic]irony as the next person,but the holiday special takes the biscuit,is it any wonder lucas does not talk about it or want to have any thing to do with it,other than getting back as many copies as possible to destroy them

It's utterly excruciating. Words are actually inadequate...

John
    Star Wars Age 9 . com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

oh YES THERE IS,it can be watched on youtube,it was made as a tv movie in 1978 for thanksgiving in between anh and tesb,it was shown on nbc and boba fett made his first apperance in it as a cartoon,and for what its worth,lucas must have been smoking some good s*&t when he came up with it!!!

No there isn't. It doesn't exist. Its a myth. The links on youtube are just an illusion.

johnnyivan wrote: »
    It's utterly excruciating. Words are actually inadequate...

John
    Star Wars Age 9 . com
    so you have seen it too,this monstrosiety should have never seen the light of day

It's funny that Lucas delegated this project and it turned to ****. Then he delegated the sequel to American Grafitti to another director and that turn out to be a mess also (tho I secretly like it). It's funny that when ESB came around Lucas had no problem passing the reigns to Irvin Kershner considering the two train-wrecks that had previously become associated with Lucas's name.

syklops wrote: »
    No there isn't. It doesn't exist. Its a myth. The links on youtube are just an illusion.
    it DOES EXIST,i have seen it on youtube myself and it was also shown on rte tele way back in 1978

bonerm wrote: »
    It's funny that Lucas delegated this project and it turned to ****. Then he delegated the sequel to American Grafitti to another director and that turn out to be a mess also (tho I secretly like it). It's funny that when ESB came around Lucas had no problem passing the reigns to Irvin Kershner considering the two train-wrecks that had previously become associated with Lucas's name.
    you are spot on,my friend

• Advertisement
Advertisement